1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John the Baptist Baptism vs Christian Baptism of today..Same or Different

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by On the side of truth, Feb 21, 2006.

1. On the side of truth

From what I can tell my church believes there is no difference between the two baptisms yet that seems wrong to me. Can someone give some direction? I will state clearly that I do not believe that water baptism saves so please do not waste time purporting that doctrine to me. I just would like to how they are different and what scriptural backing you can give. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The baptism that John was preaching was a baptism of repentance; it was symbolic of dying to self. Why? Because he was preaching the Kingdom, not spiritual salvation. Spiritual salvation was old hat to the Jews.

If baptism saves, why did Jesus get baptized? Did he need to be saved? He was God incarnate.

But, setting an example to us, he fulfilled all righteousness. He showed symbolism of dying to self. What had he been doing the previous 18 years? Obeying his parents. He was dead to self. He was pleasing God.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Obviously different. Read Acts 18 and 19, and specifically Acts 19:3-5.
    In His grace,
    Ed

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You'd be correct. John the Baptist was performing the Jewish ritual bath known as the Mikveh, which is a ceremonial washing found in Leviticus 15.

In our custom todday, we have done away with the ritual aspect, but kept the immersion as a symbol.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. It seems that there is no account of John's disciple Apollos being "re"baptized.

6. RTB

RTB New Member

There is also no record of any of the Apostles being re-baptized, does that mean that they were only baptized by John, or since Jesus commanded all to be baptized, then the author felt it unnecessary to record when the Apostles were baptized in Jesus name? Ref. Acts 2:38 and the rebaptism of disciples in Acts 19:1-5.

In Christ

Ronnie