1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Wesley's Deceit

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Rippon, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Rippon;
    You still have not furnished an iota of proof for any of your "quotes" . Either furnish proof , or admit you can't come up with anything because there seems to be nothing to your bogus claims . Yes , please come up with the actual writings of Wesley and others that uses the terminology you have shamelessly perpetuated . Also, that it was not Wesley's words to start with.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guys are you all that clueless ? Was Toplady contending against himself ?! Get a grip .

The following is a piece from "Augustus Toplady's Letter To John Wesley"

But remember that if you would do anthing to purpose you must make a regular attack . you must encounter the whole of Zanchius , and take his arguments in their regular connection and dependency on each other . you must go through with my preface , which I prefixed to my translation of that great man . Having carried and dismantled the out-work , you must next proceed to demolish the dissertation on the divine attributes : which having destroyed , you are then to assail the citadel ; I mean those five stubborn chapters which make up the body of the treatise itself . All the allies or the arguments drawn from Scripture and reason , must likewise be put to the sword . This should you attempt to do in a manner worthy of a scholar and a divine , I shall have no objection (if life and health continue ) to measuring swords , or breaking a pike , with you . Controversy properly conducted is a friend to truth , and no enemy to benevolence .

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From "Augustus Toplady's Letter To John Wesley" .

Let me ask you when or where I ever presumed to ascertain the number of God's elect ? Point out the treatise and the page , wherein I assert that only "One in twenty of mankind are elected." The book of life is not in your keeping , nor in mine . The Lord , and the Lord only , knoweth them that are his . He alone who telleth the stars , and calleth them all by their names , calleth also his own sheep by name , and leadeth them out , first from a state of sin into a state of grace , and then into a state of glory .

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From "Augustus Toplady's Letter To John Wesley" .

In almost any other case , a similar forgery would transmit the criminal to Virginia or Maryland , if not Tyburn . If such an opponent can be deemed an honest man , where shall we find a knave ?-- What would you think of me , were I infamous enough to abridge any treatise of yours , sprinkle it with interpolations , and conclude it thus : "Reader , buy this book , or be damned , Witness my hand , John Wesley ? "

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Matchless Efrontery Of Mr. W.

From Toplady's "More Work For Mr. John Wesley"

Let us bring these nine pages to the test . Their title claims our first attention : "The Consequence Proved." What consequence ? even this ! that , upon the scriptural and Church of England principle of predestination to life , it "naturally and necessarily follows , that one in twenty , suppose of mankind , are elected ; nineteen in twenty are reprobated : that the elect shall be saved , do what they will ; the reprobate shall be damned , do what they can." These diabolical positions , enough to chill every reasonable and religious man with horror , are Mr. Wesley's own offspring , both as to sentiment and language . He had , indeed , the matchless effrontery to publish them , originally , as mine : and to render the audacious forgery complete , closed all with these words , "Reader , believe this , or be damned : witness my hand , A.T.' now , whence came it , that this concluding clause was omitted in "The Consequence Proved" ? Was it , because Mr. W. found himself ashamed to repeat so unparalled a falsehood ? I apprehend , not . For ought appears , he is still as dead to feelings of shame , as he is to torture a line of zanchius into anything like proof of my obtruding the doctrine of election upon pain of damnation . And he ,might well despair of this . whom do I condemn ? whom do I impiously consign to future punishment ? I condemn no man . I dare not pronounce concerning any man's eternal state . Herein , I judge not even Mr. Wesley himself . Though I must tell him , that , if it be ( as I most sincerely wish it may ) the divine will to save him ; he has an exceeding straight gate to pass through , before he gets to heaven .

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Rippon;
    Seems that Augustus toplady did not care for John Wesley if these quotes are true. Of course he may have wanted fame at the expense of John Wesley and would say anything to get it. Without records there is no way to prove it.

Still no proof Rippon;

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again BB . You do not have a scintilla of a clue .

John Wesley did not confess to his forgery , just as he did not admit his multiple cases of plagiarism when it came to several others . Wesley freely fabricated what we wanted and when he wanted . He made-up stuff and attached the name of others at his pleasure . At other times he lifted entire sections from books of others and claimed he was the author -- no credit given to the original writer apparently crossed his mind .

Why in the world do you all think that AMT was worked-up about this whole affair ? He had submitted the 136 page Translation four months before this abridgment came out . The abridgment misrepresented Calvinism . Do any of you with a rational mind remaining think that Toplady wrote the abridgment with that disgusting closing ? Toplady called that conclusion blasphemous . As I said before , was he contending against himself ?! No . Wesley was up to his deceitful tricks once more to further his Arminian cause . And , like Toplady , I will say that there were more honorable Arminians who would not stoop to the base levels that Wesley brought himself to .

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have not seen this supported. Is Toplady the only one saying these things about Wesley and we have no resources about him saying anything.
    It is just accusations up to this point Rippon.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Wesley's "Hymns on the Lord’s Supper," published in 1745, contains the following lines:

"Rock of Israel, cleft for me"

"let those two Streams of Blood and Water which
    once gushed out of thy side bring pardon"

"This the Antidote of Sin"

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Are you not reading what we are saying? You list history as one of your interests yet you don't seem to know anything about the proper use of primary sources. You are providing selective quotes. We can't take those seriously because you are not providing the entire source.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    J.W. Would Not Own Up To His Lies

Can't you guys ( gender inclusive term) put all this together ? Did you carefully read what I have furnished ? I have , without question , given selective quotes -- choice ones indeed . All of them have demonstrated the deceit of J.W.

Why would A.M.T. be upset about something that he wrote himself ? -- Things which he called blasphemous after he saw them in print !? Why would he expend so much energy in his letters to Wesley if Toplady was really the author of the "Abridgment" ? In Wesley's "The Consequence Proved" he refers to Calvinists holding to a vast percentage of reprobates . He used the same kind of language regarding James Hervey and others . These "reprobate percentages" are telltail signs of Wesley's stamp . Wesley loved the inferences of his own concluding statement in the "Abridgment" . He definitely agreed with the inferences it led to . He desperately wanted the public to believe that Calvinists held to such twaddle . Wesley had a geat deal of guile to quote as the work of someone else when it was really his own . But even he could not bring himself to give the closing line about "Reader , believe this or be damned . Witness my hand , A.T ."

The deceitfulness of J.W. is common knowledge among historians . This case is is the primary evidence of that fact . The Wesley Center Online even acknowledges that Wesley pawned off on Toplady that which J.W. in fact wrote himself .

People , really , get it together . You think you are doing a noble thing in protecting the reputation of Wesley , when in reality you should be more interested in the truth . Wesley's deceitful deeds need to come out into the light .

#31 Rippon, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am only interested in truth-telling from you Rippon . Produce the phraselogies from "sources" that Augustus Toplady or any of these historians to substantiate your mythological "quotes" . If you can't do so then tell the folks reading here and the millions watching at home that you are in error . No tickie -- no washie .

#32 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BB , you are an excellent plagiarist . You follow Master John well !

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh NO!! say it ain't so Rippon, not a plagiarist. Does this mean now that I will be listed as one of the famous Plagiarist on your other thread?????

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have titled the other thread "Infamous Plagiarists" , because they have brought public disgrace on themselves . You are not that well-known BB , apart from this forum ( as far as I know ) so you would just be a run-of-the-mill plagiarist -- not an infamous one . And since you are not hiding your trickery but making it quite open --- I'll let you pass this time . See J.D. for details .

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh, I been keeping up with your thread and J.D.'s, I wondered when you would catch on. I thought you needed your own words thrown back at you, for it seems you can't prove anything against John Wesley. Attacking someone else while guilty of what you are accusing them of is not kosher Rippon, not nice.
    I thought sure you would add me to the famous list though, I am disappointed...............:)

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came on the BB the other day after numerous posts were already made on the Pseudo-Rippon thread started by J.D. ( a good friend ) . As for you BB , I have known for some time that you have been copying my wording . I let it pass to humor you . But if you think it's been "thrown in my face" well ... I'll chalk that up to someone who should have grown more mellow in their old age , but chose to let their cantankerous nature rule .

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, maybe Augustus and Wesley were good friends, just didn't tell anyone. It should be ok then shouldn't it, as its ok for J.D. to plagiarism you, being he is your friend.

I hope you don't think it was by accident. You are a good one to speak of cantankerous nature rule .

I think its time you put up or shut up!

gotcha!

#38 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BB , I don't copy that . Come in . BB , come in ?

Is English your second language BB ?

"plagiarism you" , "being he is your friend"

Back to the point of this thread . I gave ample evidence that Wesley forged the document called "The Abridgment" replete with enough citations to convince any fair-minded person -- ( Note : That would not be you ) . Wesley put that piece together and attached Toplady's name to further his cause . But deception will be found out and it was in shortly after Toplady's letters to Wesley ( which were also made public ) .

I ask again , why would Toplady write "The Abridgment" including that offensive last part and get worked up about how deceitful Wesley was ? Why would Toplady strenuously object to the language that was used in the closing -- calling it blasphemous ?

Why can't you put a simple 2+2 together when J.W. used some of the same "Reprobation Percentage" wordings before "The Abridgment" and afterwards ?

Why would anyone not have a reasonable , objective idea that J.W. was a habitual liar when it came to these kinds of things -- even apart from his savage treatment of A.M.T ?

#39 Rippon, Aug 25, 2007
  20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

no sources................ I mean you have said a lot. Its obvious you don't care for John Wesley, so I guess you do have a bias, but you have not provided sources where your statements can be checked, not that we would doubt anyone who has a bias against poor John Wesley, but as you told me, produce the sources. You say you have historians who say so, plus these writings of Augustus, just give us the sources Rippon, as you require of everyone else. whats good for the goose is good for the gander, in this case you be the "gander"..................:)

#40 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007