1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Wycliffe Bible (1395 year's edition) in Internet

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Constantin Pavlenko, May 21, 2002.

1. Constantin Pavlenko

Constantin Pavlenko New Member

Dear friends,

Lord's peace to you and yours! If you interest in early Bible translation in English, you can read 2 books of John Wycliffe Bible, 1395 year's edition:

Genesis - http://sbible.boom.ru/wycgen.htm
    Matthew - http://sbible.boom.ru/wycmat.htm

As I think is the first public publishing this translation in the Internet. Owner of site plan prepare and publish full Wycliffe Bible, William Tyndale New Testament (1534), Coverdale Bible (1535), etc.

Yours in Christ,

Constantin Pavlenko
    Christian Library
    [email protected]

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank You Constantin.

Are you Orthodox or Baptist or ??

Oh, I see from your profile you are Baptist, Welcome!

HankD

[ May 21, 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]

3. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I have a copy of the Wycliffe New Testament published by International Bible Publications, Portland, Oregon, which is a photographic facsimile of the Rawlinson manuscript 259 owned by the Bodleian Library, Oxford, England.

It was completed about 1382. Harry Hargreaves, writing in "The Wycliffe Versions" (Cambridge History of the Bible; Cambridge University Press 1969) says the aim of the Wycliffe translators was to establish a new and all-sufficient authority in opposition to "the Church" (IE Roman Catholic). Wycliffe and the Lollards appealed to "Goddis Lawe" and "Christis law" as the source of authority rather than "the Church" which took an unbiblical stance on many issues.

Today most scholars believe John Wycliffe did not directly translate all of the bible which bears his name. The manuscript Bodley 959, once believed to be Wycliffe's original work, states at the end of Baruch 3:20, "Here ends the translation of Nicolas." The suggestion seems obvious, that Nicolas and Herford, not John Wycliffe, did the translation of the Old Testament. The remainder was most likely completed by some of Wycliffe's Lollard followers.

I am glad to see this historically important version finally being made available on the internet. However, bear in mind that, in my opinion, something is lost when the Middle English of Wycliffe is brought forward to the modern type of today's internet. [​IMG]

4. Constantin Pavlenko

Dear friends,

Thanks for your answers!

Hank - I am Baptist, but ministry and work with Orthodox too. Have many Orthodox friends. And think, that is normal situation.

Thomas - As Sergej Fedosov (owner of site) inform me, Wycliffe Bible has in 2 versions (translations). The first version (1385 year) made Wycliffe's follower Nicolas from Horeford. The second version (1395 year) - John Perway (may be I made mistake in family names). Language of second version is best.

> I am glad to see this historically important version
    > finally being made available on the internet. However,
    > bear in mind that, in my opinion, something is lost when
    > the Middle English of Wycliffe is brought forward to the
    > modern type of today's internet.

;) You can copy text and type it in old face font.

Today Sergej put on the site full Pentateuch of Moses and 4 Gospels of Wycliffe Bible. I not remember url's, you can go from main page http://sbible.boom.ru/indexe.htm .

Unfortunatelly, he can't preparing more texts in nearest future: recognize old text - strong work.

Yours in Christ,

Constantin Pavlenko
    Christian Library
    [email protected]

5. Constantin Pavlenko

Dear friends,

I want tell you very beautiful history.

Sergej Fedosov, owner of site http://sbible.boom.ru 6 months found persons or organizations that interest in electronic text of classic English Biblies. He wrote to many commercial Bible software firms and not received answers. He need $100 to end electronic text of John Wycliffe Bible and had not it.

After I sent article in board, 2 christians answer. I see profile of Thomas Cassidy, visited to his site and to page "Favorite software". One of their is SwordSearcher - http://swordsearcher.com/ - a powerful program designed to help you study God's Word. I informed email of author of this software - Brandon Staggs to Sergej Fedosov, Sergej wrote to Brandon and Brandon interest support project! Now electronic text of John Wycliffe Bible is ready and SwordSearcher and Slavic Bible will has text.

This is not advertising, but real story. Example as BaptistBoard help in serve to Him!

Yours in Christ,

Constantin Pavlenko
    Christian Library
    [email protected]