1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jonah and Universal Atonement

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by ICHTHUS, Mar 23, 2017.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the saved will exhibit certain characteristics, a family likeness, but those characteristics do not save them. They are the result of salvation.

Yes, God's people will love and obey God, but that is not what saves us, that is the result of our salvation.

Yes, God will reject all those who think that law keeping will get them to heaven. The only way to heaven is by the Grace of God.

2. Esther Thompson

Site Supporter

We all know we are saved by the grace of God but we will be judged by our works. And the ONLY ones who will be allowed into Heaven are they that keep the commandments of God.

Matthew 19:17
    And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Revelation 22:14
    Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 6:29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

• Like Like x 1
  4. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a message to the elect.
    How do you discern who is and isn't a Christian?
    God's Sovereign choice according to His will, not ours.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of those passages describe those lost, who merely professed Christ!

6. Esther Thompson

Site Supporter

The Bible says the devils believe and tremble, and that faith without works is dead, being alone.

7. comitatus1

comitatus1 New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God didn't send Jonah into the city simply hoping for the best. God sent Jonah into the city to save those He willed to be saved. God can save one....God can save a million...it matters little what the numbers are...what matters is that God fulfills what He has intended. Jonah was just the instrument of that will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saving faith produces the good works!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would be really pathetic to have God stuck just hoping and wishing that some humans will get saved!

10. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't doubt that God wanted to save the city completely. The point I make is, that it CANNOT be argued that ALL of the city who were saved, were ONLY the "elect". In fact, as the Jews were the "elect" in the Old Testament, and these were NOT Jews, it shows beyond any doubt that God saved the NON ELECT. PRAISE HIM FOR HIS GREAT MERCY!

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jews were not the only saved in the OT, as Rahab was oine of the elect also!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed! But, when, for example the Bible says in John 1:2, "He came to His own", this is a reference ONLY to the Jews. But, when the Jews rejected Jesus as their Saviour, the Gentiles were then offered the same Salvation.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saying that God salvation was towards both jews/Gentiles in the Bible...

14. bygrace4012

bygrace4012 New Member
    Site Supporter

Free will is necessary for salvation.
    One can not be saved without freely confessing that Jesus is Lord: Romans 10:9-10.
    Some people hear the Gospel and think it is foolishness, and of course they then reject it: 1st Corinthians 1:18

The real question is WHY does someone freely and willfully embrace Jesus as Lord?
    When you begin to delve into that, and get your answers from the Word of God, you will see why the atonement is particular.

Again, if you make it about free will, then you have t answer the WHY question.
    Start with yourself, WHY did you embrace Jesus as Lord?

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will agree, in that sense. In order for a person to believe, repent, and obey the Lord the will must be set free from the law of sin and death.

But after that the soul is now bound to the law of New Life in Christ. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. XYiftah

XYiftah New Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, I agree we have free will...a stumbling block I think for some though is the fact that Jehovah knows who will and will and will not be saved....he gives free will to all but he knows who will and who will not believe. Jehovah is All-Mighty...he knows all. Some fail to understand the awesome power of Jehovah All-Mighty.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I came forth and am come from God; for neither have I come of myself, but he sent me.
    43 Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word.
    44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.
    45 But because I say the truth, ye believe me not.
    46 Which of you convicteth me of sin? If I say truth, why do ye not believe me?
    47 He that is of God heareth the words of God: for this cause ye hear them not, because ye are not of God. Jn 8

24 The Jews therefore came round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou hold us in suspense? If thou art the Christ, tell us plainly.
    25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believe not: the works that I do in my Father`s name, these bear witness of me.
    26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep. Jn 10

33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of hell? Mt 23

18. comitatus1

comitatus1 New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did save the city completely. There really was no 'wanting' about it.

Sure it can.

Romans 9 says otherwise about all the Jews being elect.

The non-elect are not saved...that's what makes them non-elect.

Chris