1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jonah, Wanted Dead or alive -- Part 1

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herb Evans, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

One way to end a debate with me is to start picking and choosing. Verse 3 starts with him being thrown off the boat. Verse one and two happen in the whale's belly. I did not go to all the trouble of answering your lengthy post to get this measley thing in return. -- Herb Evans

2. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Thank y'all for making sech a big contreebution to the thread. That was mighty brace o' y'all. I am glad that I din't skeer y'all. Y'all come back . . .ya hyeah? -- Herb Evans

3. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Government Educational Diploma. There is nothing that can give the government a bad name or the recipients of their giveaways these days. Still, I was given my regular high school diploma upon showing my school the GED. -- Herb Evans

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Does that mean you concede that brother Mike was correct when he said that those verses were what Jonah spoke from inside the whale? Were you just disagreeing with him to be contradictory? Or maybe you really don't read the things we type very closely. I would love to continue answering every 'point', but you have to concede the point when you are wrong, or else I am just speaking into the air. Complaining that my post is too short is just nitpicking.

5. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

No, it means that I am not going to allow you guys to pick and choose, whether you are right or wrong. And Jim, I have finished with you; you had your chance. So, get busy on the private e-mail and pool your info ! Amen! Thank you Jesus! Hallelujah! Praise de Lawd! Does I have a witness? -- Herb Evans

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Thankfully, I don't need your permission to 'pick and choose' so I am going to go ahead and pick another.

Hell doesn't have a belly? What kind of argument is that? Does hell have a mouth?

Isaiah 5:14
    14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Where do you suppose that open mouth leads to?

Numbers 16:30
    30 But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD.

I bet it goes into that pit right there. That pit IS the belly of hell, hell itself. Hell is the belly of the earth.

I'm going to go pick another one.

7. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Thankfully, I do not need your permission to ignore you or to participate in your pick and choose crossfire. -- Hreb Evans

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

When did you start speaking in tongues, Herb? Lets suppose that the heart of the earth means only the very center. How close do you have to get to the center before you are at the heart?

HEART, n. [L. cor, cordis, and allied to Eng.core, or named from motion, pulsation.]
    2. The inner part of any thing; the middle part or interior; as the heart of a country, kingdom or empire; the heart of a town; the heart of a tree.

How deep does a hole have to be before you can consider yourself in the inner part of the earth?

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

But you do have it, brother. Feel free to not respond at any time.

10. Mike Berzins

Mike Berzins New Member

I don't want to go off on a tangent, but since you posted this here, I have to ask the question.

"Praise de Lawd! Does I have a witness?"

Is this a joke, or are you really praising the Lord?

11. Mike Berzins

Mike Berzins New Member

Nevertheless, the heart of the earth means simply inside the earth. There is no reason to believe the sepulcre was necessarily some crypt on the top of the earth. According to Genesis 23, a sepulcre could be a cave (see v. 6 and 9). If this sepulcre were hewn out of exisiting rock, forming a cave, then the Lord was truly buried in the ground and not just in some man made crypt. Just because someone is buried in a hill, and someone else on the earth might be lower than him does not mean the person is not buried in the ground. And someone buried in a sepulcre, that is a cave, is not buried on the top of the earth, but in the ground. The heart of the earth, means the inside of the earth, this includes anywhere under the ground, not just the "deepest hell" in the middle. Peter did go into the heart of the earth, to look for the Lord. – Mike Berzins

There is every reason to believe that the heart of the earth means the center or middle of the earth, notwithstanding caves, Mausoleums, and sepulchers. Or words do not mean anything. - Herb Evans

I agree that the heart of the earth means the center or the interior. The Greek or Hebrew defintions are unnecessary.

John24:12 Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.

Do you suppose he was stooping down because they made the opening very short, or because he was looking down a flight of stairs that led down under the earth. (The Lord was "buried", according to several scriptures, corrrect? not just placed in a mausoleum on the surface of the earth?) – Mike Berzins

I can’t believe that you would stretch and strain so to make this point. Jesus was laid in Joseph’s new TOMB, HEWN out in the ROCK Matt. 27:60. The women were plainning on coming back to anoint the body; were they planning on digging Jesus up? He no doubt stooped down because it was dark. My point, despite your ridiculous analogy, was that Jesus body was not in the heart of the earth. His Soul/Spirit was in the heart of the earth. – Herb Evans

My point was not that there was dirt piled on the Lord in the tomb that anyone had to dig him out of. My point is that if we was "buried" he must have been under the ground, not lying on top of the earth surrounded by a mausoleum. And I agree the Lord's soul was in the heart of the earth as well.

The Lord's body was in heart of the earth (the tomb) three days and three nights. Just like Jonah's body was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights. – Mike Berzins

NOT! Where was Jesus soul/Spirit? Still in the body? In heaven? Where? – Herb Evans

See above.

12. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Just a little colloquial Herb Evans signature that I use on other forums that causes my antagonists to either get annoyed or question it. -- Hreb Evans

13. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Mike, I'm not interested in "must have beens" or "supposings" or double minded "agreements." If you want to believe that the heart of the earth means that the "son of man" was in the heart of the "tomb" hewn out of rock (Matt. 27:60), that is your problem. Moreover, if you want to believe that "son of man" is a lifeless corpse (Mark 6:29), that is also your problem.

We started out this debate in serial point/counterpoint fashion, your new "picking and choosing" debate method is over. Also, Newman's "pick and choose" sniping, crossfire is being ignored by permission. -- Herb Evans

14. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I'm so glad that Brother Herb came along when he did to show us all THE WAY of enlightened debate. A man of such noteriety is a blessing to be emulated by us all.

(If we did, the whole board would shut down in a week because anyone who lost an argument would blackball his opponent and soon no one would be left to debate.)

Oh by the way, Brother Herb, let me guess . . .:sleep:

Lacy

15. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Buuuurrrrp! -- Herb Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.