1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jonathan Edwards' "On Being": is empty space a thing?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by The Angel of the South, Jul 7, 2018.

1. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few years ago, I found at my favorite used bookstore a collection of Jonathan Edwards' writings, and eagerly bought it and eventually started reading it. I was fascinated and delighted by what I learned in "Freedom of the Will," but that would be material for another post, because it's complicated. Here I mean to discuss his shorter piece "On Being" (or "Being" or words to that effect--I don't have the book in front of me).

The point of the piece, certainly the most important point, is that Edwards claims absolute nothingness is a contradiction, an impossibility. This, he says, is because space is not the total absence of anything; a thing must have something containing it, and whatever that something is, it exists. Essentially, space is not nothing. Space is a thing. He defines "space" as "this necessary and eternal omnipresent being." [He's referring not to God, but only to a place where some thing exists.]

Empty space is not nothing? I should re-read it, but...I don't know. What do you think?

(Note: Edwards was a Congregationalist, not a Baptist; and I wouldn't say this is a "Baptist post." However, it doesn't seem to belong anywhere in particular.)

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Edwards held to a view regarding the being of god that nothing existed in a real sense until God created it, as he extended his being to create it each time, The event became real right when he created it, so creation is ongoing event...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll say similar to what you have already said/quoted :

Space is the thing where you put stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    What forces one to think is not that per se, but pointing out that this "thing where you put stuff," empty space, must be a thing. It apparently can't be "nothing," because things can't be contained inside nothingness. Why that doesn't work becomes clearer if one reverses the phrase: "Nothingness can't contain things." If it did, it would not be nothingness or empty space.

So says Edwards. I'm turning it over in my mind to decide whether I agree with it. I think I do...

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing existing.....All except for God, 'In the beginning"

• Agree Agree x 1