1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph fathered Jesus?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not at all. The remark was unfortunately accurate and restrained.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree. Those who attack other English translations should be held to their words - for words have meaning.

Joseph was Jesus' father. Every English translation will say that in one place or another. Nothing to do with the Virgin Birth or "sperm donor" or adoption or anything.

Simple fact. Do you think Jesus growing up referred to Mary and Joseph as "Mom and THAT man"?? [​IMG]

3. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Can’t agree with that. Jesus had to start from scratch, or seed and that of God. In the seed will come the blood. If there had been another way surely God would not have reduced himself to our level, a real live human being that would die. God had to be of we - “dirt”. His blood flowed just as ours, and when his life was over His blood (Holy blood) was made to flow. It is that living blood, and only that blood that saves. Had He not become as we, His blood could never have been let. Jesus could not come as full grown, for the only possible way to do that is to create such a one, one like Adam. Adam was not God, but created by God. Jesus was not created, for the Word was made flesh. God decided this is what they would do, and God the Word did the will of God the Father, becoming the Only Begotten Son of God, by God the Holy Spirit. God agreed the beginning would begin.

He died as a human being died. What self respecting God would do this? Only one God, and He is our God the Father, our Savior, through the faith of His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, by God the Holy Spirit. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.” Christian faith, ituttut

4. tenor

tenor New Member

Sal,

Joeseph was Jesus' father in all respects, except being the bio father.

Why don't you answer Bapmom's question about why this is important?

Is proving that Joseph is in no way, sze shape or form the father of Jesus just another "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" type "theological" question for you?

PLease answer the why this important question.

Thanks, Tim

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Well, actually, the premise isn't true so the conclusion is not true.

Besides, I don't think that the analogy of adoption is accurate here, this situation being so incredibly different than every other situation in history.

I was really at a loss as to the point of this thread until I read through and found it stemmed from a KJVO point of view.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I don't know Petrel, Im KJVO, and I can't figure out what his real point is, either.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Oh? So confronting you with truth is now a "mentality"?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sure you can, so can I and every other sinner born of a woman, but you're not Jesus and Jesus is neither a sinner!!! Earthly sons are sinners.
    Say WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!! Since when was God the father begotten?? And who begat Him, Mary??????? You're in a Baptist only debate forum you catholic!!

:mad: :eek: :rolleyes:
    And you and many others here seem to want to argue with Jesus Himself in this situation: Jesus reproved Joseph and mary, and all others who think Joseph was ever His earthly father in Luke 2

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

What a crude and unfair remark. </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you for making an intelligent and corretc observation. The term "KJVO" is become a derogatory name here in BB.

9. natters

natters New Member

Jesus was the earthly son of Mary, as well as the Holy son of God.

I have read modern versions all my life and have never once thought Joseph was Jesus' biological father. :rolleyes:

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Not at all. The remark was unfortunately accurate and restrained. </font>[/QUOTE]Many here seem to doubt that and are justified in their suspicion as well. Let observation of many of your posts and "restrained" is a misnomer and laughable at the same time.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Actually no. "son of Joseph" only has the Jewsih conotation that Jesus was subject to Joseph,( as a son: one who studied under another such as learned in the carpentry business as his "father in the trade"), but never does Scripture actually say "Joseph was the father of Jesus", except where the tense of the Greek clearly says in English (as was supposed).

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Jesus was the earthly son of Mary, as well as the Holy son of God.

I have read modern versions all my life and have never once thought Joseph was Jesus' biological father. :rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]And no one ver asked you what you "thought" either :rolleyes:

13. natters

natters New Member

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Is it not important for all to understand that Jesus is the Son of God? ( to answer anyone and everyone) Adoption is only to orphans, that becoming an orphan by desertion or death. God never died, and never deserted Jesus, but now God did turn His back on Jesus when He became sin for us.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Still guessing? [​IMG] :rolleyes: [​IMG]

16. natters

natters New Member

Ya, trying to guess what your comment meant.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Salamander,

you are assuming that the people talking to you here have some sort of false doctrine going on.....that they believe that Joseph was Jesus' biological father, or that Joseph is being considered as somehow superior to Jesus while Jesus was growing up.

The KJVo objection to other versions changing such passages is because it represents a trend in those other versions. Its not very fair to come into a Baptist forum and claim that the people HERE are adhering to a false doctrine of Joseph being the father to Jesus in the biological sense.

Other than that, I don't know of any other KJVos who would object to the idea that Joseph acted as Jesus' earthly male parent.

Why don't you clarify a bit, and tell us what role you believe Joseph served in Jesus' life?

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wonder if it's that same invisible "many" who agree with pov here.

You're downplaying Joseph's role as Jesus' father, and you're calling my posts laughable?? That's laughable in itself. Moreso when your view is compared to scripture itself, which, even if adhering scrictly to the KJV, referrs to Joseph and Mary as Jesus' parents, without hesitation, reservation, or refutation.

19. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll volunteer that I don't think this response showed restraint. :D

I think this is another one of those statements best answered by the response, "Except we don't think that, so that can't be true." The proposition seems to be that referring to Joseph as Jesus' adoptive father/earthly father negates his deity and impeccable nature. As natters posted above, I don't think that any of us who think of Joseph as Jesus' father think that that means he was not God and the Son of God and that he was not sinless.

20. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Once again not true and once again a false analogy. A person may give a child up for adoption (quite different from desertion in my pov) or have his or her custodial rights terminated by law. And the analogy does not exactly hold because of the singular nature of this event.