1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph fathered Jesus?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Oct 26, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Salamander,

"Acting like a father" is "being a father".

Again, you need to define what you call a father.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You said
    Then you said
    I believe the narrative as given by Luke that the supposition was corrected, nothing else. You introduced your "lie" theory as a "SLEIGHT OF HAND" in the effort to disqualify and discredit my post concerning the matter. Just as you corrected my missing the "e" in the same effort.

Don't TELL me what I believe, then denigrate my character in the same sentence. I don't believe what you insist upon. I told you what Jesus said, and according to the theme of the passage, Jesus is correct, you are WRONG!!

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Already did, scripturally, I might add. No matter how I define "father", Jesus defined "Father" for us all.

Beg to differ? :rolleyes:

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

According to whose traditional thinking?

Jesus WAS tempted in all points as we are. That, my friend, is part of the salvation story itself.

There is an athiest that I have wittnessed to who makes the claim, "The death and resurrection of Christ is not a big deal. After all, he was God,he wasn't tempted to do wrong and he knew he'd live again. He probably didn't even suffer."

Needless to say the athiest is wrong on every point except that He was indeed God.

Christ came to earth and lived 30 years as a human being who did NOT surrender to temptation, but He did FACE temptation. That is why He is the perfect sacrifice. Not because he was never tempted to sin, but because He never gave into sin.

There is also the simple scriptural evidence that contradicts your theory.

The men and women of Christ's hometown, in fact, his own half-brothers, did not believe He was the messiah in the early days of His ministry. Had God been the provider, the protector, the obvious supplier of His needs as God was in Eden, the people around Christ when He was a child would have realized that Joseph was NOT the one doing these things and would have known, early on, that Christ was divenly protected.

Instead, it is VERY clear that the people went, "Wait a minute? Isn't that the carpentar's kid?"

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Salamander said:

[quoting me]Yes, he is. Mary was Jesus' mother, and Joseph was married to her. That is a stepfather, by definition. Do you deny that the Bible teaches this?"

Maybe you should re-evaluate, if you evaluated the statement at all. Bi-lateral reasoning offers two parallel opinions as supposed truths, but since one is nullified by Doctrinal Truth, the other is therefore a mis-interpretation; much as Joseph, Mary, and many others mis-interpreted just Whos [sic] IS the Father of Jesus, yourself included [sic].

What is this chicken vomit? Is it even English?

Do you deny that the Bible teaches that Joseph was married to Mary, the mother of Jesus, and was therefore, by definition, the stepfather of Jesus? Yes or no? Stop banging out gobbledygook and answer this simple question.

I have graduated from an American highschool with an "A" in advanced English in my senoir [sic] year, which actually squashes your "BA" at any Canadian institution by a surmountable length at worst.

ROFL! Dream on.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Johnv said:

TW, it's "sleight of hand", not "slight of hand" ("sleight" means "dexterity").

Don't argue with Salamander! He got an A in high school English, doncha know.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I wonder how many Americans know that a significant number of tenured professors in the universities of the United States are citizens of Canada.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I didn't tell you what you believe. Your own words are self-evident. You believe Luke's narrative is wrong. I don't.

You keep saying that, but then you go on to again say that Luke's narrative is wrong, clearly making you the sleight of hand artist here.
    No, you tols me what you believe Jesus meant. But if your belief is correct, then scripture contradicts itself. If, otoh, one lets scripture interpret scripture, then your belief is incorrect.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So now you say Jesus/God the Son was capable of sin????????????? NOT!! Tempted yes, capable NO!

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

No.
    Another discussion
    step-father and father are not the same.
    Last I read it was "chicken vomit" and that you were the connoissuer.

I have graduated from an American highschool with an "A" in advanced English in my senoir [sic] year, which actually squashes your "BA" at any Canadian institution by a surmountable length at worst.

ROFL! Dream on. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, but you're the one at the disadvantage since you cannot comprehend English, just edit at it.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You know chicken vomit better than I, and English as well as a disoriented Frenchman.

No.
    Another discussion
    step-father and father are not the same.
    Last I read it was "chicken vomit" and that you were the connoissuer.

ROFL! Dream on. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, but you're the one at the disadvantage since you cannot comprehend English, just edit at it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The editor must needs edit his espoused error in slang to be considered a credible editor: it's "don'tcha"

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

JoHnV dribbles some more:
    To believe what you believe, friend, one must believe every statement made in the Bible as a statement of undeniable truth: inclusive of every statement of the serpent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [​IMG]

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not good as basketball.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Actually, it's apples and skyscrapers. The serpent's words were quoted. No, I don't believe that a quote from someone in scripture is to be taken as truth. But we're not talking about something in quotes. We're talking about the narrative. The narrative of scripture is truth. I fail to see why you lack the ability to discern between a quotation and narrative.

Your belief requires one to not view scripture as 100% true. Mine does not.

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Salamander said:

the mother of Jesus,

Another discussion

Poor Li'l Orphan Jesus. He didn't have a father to raise him, and whether Mary was his mother is "another discussion." :rolleyes:

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, I can find nothing edifying in the past few pages and think the discussion, if it can be called such, has run its course.

Therefore, the thread is closed. Stick a fork in it; it's done.

Move along, now; there's nothing to see here.