1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josh 6:21

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by clark thompson, Jul 23, 2016.

1. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joshua 6:21

KJV21And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Rotherham21And they devoted all that were in the city, both man and woman, both young and old,—and ox and sheep and ass, with the edge of the sword.

These are my thoughts.

God had them destroy everything, we see this as cruel but were given a time of mercy to come to the Lord before this happen, whether it is seen as cruel or not the time of judgment will come to those who choose sin over the Lord.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A search into history will show the depths of sin which the Canaanite people had sunk.

These "abominations" were committed in the pre-conquest promised land and forbidden in the Torah:

I want to say that Leviticus 18 is not for the faint of heart but there it is in the word of God, the Torah - God's expectation for Israel. So just the warning.

Leviticus 18
    26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
    27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)
    28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
    29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

HankD

3. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joshua 6:22

KJV22But Joshua had said unto the two men that had spied out the country, Go into the harlot's house, and bring out thence the woman, and all that she hath, as ye sware unto her.

Rotherham22But, unto the two men who spied out the land, Joshua said, Go into the house of the woman, the harlot,—and bring out thence the woman and all that she hath, as ye aware unto her.

These are my thoughts.

We are to keep our promises but as Jesus said it is better for us not to make promises.