Joyce Meyer popular with Baptists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paladin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Johnv New Member

You made the claim that a woman is to be under the authority of men besides her husband. So it is your job to provide sciptural support for that. The only times the scripture speaks of headship over a woman is in regards to her husband.
    When did I say anyone (woman or man) can do this? I did not.

2. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

She has no idea just what scripture says, tells me she has nothing to teach me. </font>[/QUOTE]If your screen name "donna" implies you are a woman, she can teach you anything she wants! For me (male) it's a different story (2 Timothy 2:12 "And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man...". If it is OK for a woman to be a pastor, or to exercise authority over / teach men, it would violate the position of elder who is VERY SPECIFICALLY stated to be men only (1 Timothy 5:17).

3. buckster75 Member

I posted this in response to what you said
    This sounds like authority:
    Heb 13:7Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God

John said: But the scriptural fact is that a man only has spiritual authority of his wife, and of no other woman. If he is single, he has spiritual authority over no one.

4. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You made the claim that a woman is to be under the authority of men besides her husband. So it is your job to provide sciptural support for that. The only times the scripture speaks of headship over a woman is in regards to her husband.
    When did I say anyone (woman or man) can do this? I did not.
    </font>[/QUOTE]1 Timothy 3:1-13, 1 Timothy 5:17

5. Johnv New Member

This selection is the sole place in scripture that can be interpreted to exclude women from the role of women as pastoring (the famed "husband of one wife" dissertation).

It doesn't address the spiritual authority of men and women in general. Spiritual authority is expressly laid out in being the hudband over the wife, not men in general being over women in general. A pastor does not have spiritual over a woman who is not his wife.
    This verse honors elders, but does not address the issue of spiritual authority, nor does it exclude women from preaching (though we can probably assume correctly that only a male can be an elder, since it is a pastoral role).

6. donnA Active Member

http://www.pfo.org/wan-star.htm
    http://www.equip.org/free/DM472.htm

http://www.discernment.org/salvation.html
    http://www.myfortress.org/JoyceMeyer.html

http://www.pfo.org/preacher.htm

Joyce Meyers and her ministry are very questionable, and phoney. She has no understanding of scripture.

7. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This selection is the sole place in scripture that can be interpreted to exclude women from the role of women as pastoring (the famed "husband of one wife" dissertation).

It doesn't address the spiritual authority of men and women in general. Spiritual authority is expressly laid out in being the hudband over the wife, not men in general being over women in general. A pastor does not have spiritual over a woman who is not his wife.
    This verse honors elders, but does not address the issue of spiritual authority, nor does it exclude women from preaching (though we can probably assume correctly that only a male can be an elder, since it is a pastoral role).
    </font>[/QUOTE]"Let the elders who rule well ..."
    I see no other meaning besides over everyone, my wife included. She is to be as much under my pastors authority scripturally, as she is to be under my authority maritally. It makes no sense for me to be under my pastor's authority, and that person, if women were allowed, to be my wife.

8. donnA Active Member

She has no idea just what scripture says, tells me she has nothing to teach me. </font>[/QUOTE]If your screen name "donna" implies you are a woman, she can teach you anything she wants! For me (male) it's a different story (2 Timothy 2:12 "And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man...". If it is OK for a woman to be a pastor, or to exercise authority over / teach men, it would violate the position of elder who is VERY SPECIFICALLY stated to be men only (1 Timothy 5:17). </font>[/QUOTE]No, it is not ok for her to teach me anything she wants. Not when all she has to teach is garbage, and she as a woman is teaching men, and has authroity over men as a preacher/teacher of what is supose to be scripture.
    She totally violates scriptures and demonstrates she has no real understanding of it.

9. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

She has no idea just what scripture says, tells me she has nothing to teach me. </font>[/QUOTE]If your screen name "donna" implies you are a woman, she can teach you anything she wants! For me (male) it's a different story (2 Timothy 2:12 "And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man...". If it is OK for a woman to be a pastor, or to exercise authority over / teach men, it would violate the position of elder who is VERY SPECIFICALLY stated to be men only (1 Timothy 5:17). </font>[/QUOTE]My apologies, donna. I read your post as "tell me she has nothing to teach me", like it was separate from your first statement, which was my fault. I agree with you 100%.

10. bapmom New Member

based on what donnA posted it really wouldn't matter if she were a woman OR a man, would it?

11. donnA Active Member

She has no idea just what scripture says, tells me she has nothing to teach me. </font>[/QUOTE]If your screen name "donna" implies you are a woman, she can teach you anything she wants! For me (male) it's a different story (2 Timothy 2:12 "And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man...". If it is OK for a woman to be a pastor, or to exercise authority over / teach men, it would violate the position of elder who is VERY SPECIFICALLY stated to be men only (1 Timothy 5:17). </font>[/QUOTE]My apologies, donna. I read your post as "tell me she has nothing to teach me", like it was separate from your first statement, which was my fault. I agree with you 100%. </font>[/QUOTE]Then I appologize for jumping back at you.

12. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are correct, false doctrine is false doctrine whether it is from a man or woman. But since she is a woman, even if it weren't false doctrine, she scripturally has no basis to exercise scriptural authority over men.

13. donnA Active Member

Your very right.
    I fear that many who follow her and believe in her have no real understanding of scripture, nor apparently do they care to becasue they continue to defend her even when shown whats wrong with ehr. And whats wrong with her is no small matter. It's completely anti christian.

14. Johnv New Member

That's not what "rule well" means. Ruling well here (in Greek, ho kalos proistemi presbuteros) referrs to those who faithfully and laboriously discharge their office of elder.

15. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's not what "rule well" means. Ruling well here (in Greek, ho kalos proistemi presbuteros) referrs to those who faithfully and laboriously discharge their office of elder. </font>[/QUOTE]This is what I got from Strongs

προΐ́στημι
    proistēmi
    pro-is'-tay-mee
    From G4253 and G2476; to stand before, that is, (in rank) to preside, or (by implication) to practise: - maintain, be over, rule.

16. Johnv New Member

Strong's doesn't define whole context. You know that.

17. buckster75 Member

This sounds like authority:
    Heb 13:7Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God

18. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, but the meaning of "rule" doesn't change. Whether one "rules" as an elder or king, it still is a position of authority. Elders are the position in the church with highest authority given to them.

19. Marcia Active Member

The issue of Joyce Meyer teaching as a woman is very secondary to her word faith teachings, which should be the primary concern. She appears with the WF teachers at conferences and has endorsed them.

http://wfial.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=artWordFaith.article_2

http://www.pfo.org/preacher.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Bob_Hunter/meyer.html

http://www.afcministry.com/Joyce_Meyers.htm

I have heard her several times. I also have one of her books which mainly has a lot of psychology in it; she twists scripture to support her ideas on this psychology just as she twists scripture to support her WF views.

20. PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Joyce Meyer is the female version of Joel Osteen. Both can bring some good motivational talks....but do not preach truth from God's Word.