Joyce Meyer popular with Baptists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paladin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. El_Guero New Member

You hit that nail on the HEAD!

2. Rachel New Member

I agree!

3. dale kesterson New Member

I disagree with her teaching and her position in the church. What I remember most about her is a statement she made bragging that she purchased a $12,000 toilet seat. It tells you a lot about her humility...

4. Dina New Member

She has a conference coming up in St. Louis at the end of this month. At that conference will be guest speaker Creflo Dollar, who believes we can and should be raising dead.

Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, and some of the other WF people fall into the category, in my opinion, of those we are warned about in the Bible.

5. buckster75 Member

6. Johnv New Member

Did you really use the words "position" and "toilet seat" in the same sentence??

7. WallyGator New Member

PastorSBC1303,
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

WallyGator

8. Plain Old Bill New Member

Amen! Right on! You could'nt be more right!

9. dale kesterson New Member

Johnv,

Unintentionally, honest! :eek:

Again, I never read her books, just some exerpts from her preaching and books. A friend said she was dragged into one of her conferences and noticed that each time Meyers returned to the stage after a break she returned in a different "dazzling" outfit to the oooh and ahhhs of the crowd. Her humility... ummm... leaves me speachless.

Do you guys see the Word of Faith movement a offspring of the Christian Science cult? While Christian Science believes that illness and such is only as true as you imagine it, Word of Faith believes that your illness will go away if you believe (have enough faith) it will.

Is Joyce Meyers the new Mary Baker Eddy?

10. Johnv New Member

Dale, I don't think the WoF movement as a CS offshoot. Definitely separate. But of equal concern, indeed.

11. Cix New Member

I don't know if she is popular or not. I do know she is a word-faith teacher. This teaching does not follow sound biblical doctrine.

12. dianetavegia Guest

13. Plain Old Bill New Member

A lot of the Wof and charismatic teaching comes out of Dakes study Bible.Many of Dakes notes are just plain heretical.

14. Marcia Active Member

You should read some of the articles I posted on p. 3 and Diane has also posted some links (some may be the same as what I posted).

There is a reason that WF teachers sound like Christian Science. Christian Science came out of the New Thought movement which taught that illness was an illusion and that if you believed you were ill, you would get ill. New Thought also teaches (it's still around) that if you say positive things, you will get them; if you think or say negative things, you will get those.

WF teaches a similar thing about speaking out positive and negative things. This is not about attitude but a real belief that you can create what you say with your mouth. WF teaches that faith is a force, and that by using faith, you can get things from God. This is more an occult view than anything, but the WF teachings do have some parallels with New Thought.

In fact, a book was written on this called A Different Gospel by D. R. McConnell in which the author traces the roots of the WF movement back to metaphysical teachings.

15. Johnv New Member

Teachings being wishy-washy, I can understand that as a reason. But a woman preaching, there's no scriptural ban on that. There's only an implication of banning of women as pastors. Since she's not a pastor of our churches, then that's a nonissue to us, really. It's only an issue to whose who attend a church that she pastors at.

16. Brother Ian Active Member

The women in my church don't follow her, but I know many women who do. I have listened to her "preach" but wouldn't consider her a preacher by any stretch. I would consider her a motivational speaker if anything. She is very light on Scripture and heavy on her personal experiences.

She has a cult like following. In fact I have heard her say that women will come halfway across the country to hear her speak but won't go across the street to their own church. That tells you something.

17. Johnv New Member

Actually, Brother Ian, it sound like she's rightly chastising those people for not getting involved in the local church. Questionable teaching or no, her point on that specific issue would be valid.