1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joyce Meyer's Garbage

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Chet, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Chet

Chet New Member

Excerpts taken from the St. Louis Post Dispatch written on November 15, 2003. All bold Emphasis are mine:

St. Louis Post Dispatch one

St. Louis Post Dispatch two

St. Louis Post Dispatch three

This woman is not only one of the biggest word-faith, Charismatic teachers, her doctrines are completely unbiblical. This should illustrate to the world that she is a great con-artist. She is trying to use God to get her wealth. 1 Tim 6:9-10
    People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many grief’s. NIV

I would encourage all to read this article and the related ones dealing with her. It is full of all types of the examples I copied and pasted. She is a false teacher, I am saddened by so many people who fall prey to her, and not only because of the “prosperity gospel”, but because of her other damnable heresy’s as well.

Watchdog say’s

Very well said, I will add:

Prov 22:16
    He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth
    and he who gives gifts to the rich--both come to poverty.
    NIV

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does anyone know which denomination Joyce Meyer is linked up with?

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've heard too many Christian women listening to her. I can't understand why. I guess there is some draw toward false teachers, but again I don't know why. Perhaps they tell them what they want to hear.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a male, I am repulsed and turned off by the smallest HINT of a woman preacher. Just my nature.

I can imagine there are many women who are repulsed and turned off by some MEN preachers and Joyce offers a female (I think) alternative.

But it is garbage theology and for godly Christian women to flock to her preaching sickens me.

(But if a person is starving, even garbage looks mighty tasty, don't you think?)

6. MaryKay

MaryKay New Member

I too disagree with Joyce Meyer. Women should not preach. I have listened a time or two just to hear what she had to say..It wasn't like my Baptist Preacher. Don't have the foggiest idea what denomination she is from, but we are in the antique auction business and I would love to get some of that money they are throwing around , that would increase my tithing quite a lot. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sorry, all, but, while I've heard of Joyce Meyer, I don't know much about her.

Discussions regarding women preachers notwithstanding, I don't think your opinion of her methodology is based on her gender, so I think yer off the hook [​IMG] .
    Can I write that one down?

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bob
    Very good Bob. You should preach a sermon on that. Reminds me of the prodigal son.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This topic comes at a perfect time because there is a lady in the Bible study that I lead that listens to Joyce Meyer regularly and I have seen a few strange things in her doctrine. But I didn't know much about Joyce Meyer.

Thanks for your input.

10. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Very witty Dr. Bob.

Dave

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then they should search out good nutritional biblical teachings. They do have some responsibility as what they allow themselves to be fed.

12. christ centered

christ centered New Member

I have not had the "privlege" of seeing her show, but I do know that she is very popular among women, even my mom. This worries me greatly becuase I have heard several times from different sources that her preaching is unbiblical. I wish people would not get pulled into this stuff, and read their bibles and attend a strong bible based church.

13. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Then they should search out good nutritional biblical teachings. They do have some responsibility as what they allow themselves to be fed. </font>[/QUOTE]When people get to be really hungry, they are not very selective about what they eat. :( I believe that we have a responsibility as Christians to be sensitive to the needs of those around us and to reach out to the hungry with good, wholesome food. [​IMG]

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then they should search out good nutritional biblical teachings. They do have some responsibility as what they allow themselves to be fed. </font>[/QUOTE]Like children they don't know the difference betwween something sweet and healthy food. But as adults who do know the difference and we must make disciples. The Holy Spirit makes us the overseer. We don't make Him the overseer. Babies do not have the responsibility to feed themselves, the parents do. See Acts 20.

15. SpiritWalker

SpiritWalker New Member

No wonder the world is pretty well justified to paint Christians as hypocrites. I read where she had a dream that Jesus had a better husband for her than the one she had...shades of Any Grant.

Once the morality of the church is gone, nothing else matters much.

SpiritWalker

16. A&I

A&I New Member

In the two Christian book stores near me. Have tons of her books there !

17. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Ah, one more reason NOT to shop at Family Christian Stores! Their book of the month for January this year was her book.

18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I guess Christian bookstores should only sell books that the fundamentalist baptist agree with?

I am no fan of Joyce Meyer. I do not think that she had a clue about Scriptural doctrine; however, I believe that other Christians who disagree with me should be able to purchase her books.

It is very easy to ignore her books and focus on the ones I believe are correct.

19. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

This thread caught my eye as I have recently gotten Direct TV, and the TBN network is on this satelite system. I watched a little of the program that Joyce Meyer had on one Sunday morning. While I'm not totally against women preachers, I still tend to think it a bit strange for a woman to be a high-profile evangelist. She strikes me as the female version of a highly-paid and higher-than-thou type who has made it big, despite her horrible childhood. I read the links from the St. Louis Post Dispatch at the beginning of this thread. While my heart aches for her living nightmare while growing up, her preaching is hardly comforting to hear. She strikes me as another charismatic preacher who thinks yelling and shouting is going to win people to Christ. If you don't do things "her way" or see things "her way" then you simply don't have it.

I also was interested in the denominational background of her ministries. Seems her and her husband and family attended Our Savior Lutheran Church in Fenton, MO (near St. Louis) and then later started a small non-denominational church called Life Christian Church in Sunset Hills, MO (also a suburb of St. Louis). That church now has a full-time minister by the name of Rev. Shelton. Joyce left that church several years ago and started her own ministries called "Life in the Word". Her website is www.joycemeyer.org

From her "doctrinal statement", it appears she believes (like most Pentecostals) that the Holy Ghost is evidenced by having tongues. That alone would make me shy away from this group. Seems like many who believe that that is necessary for either salvation or growth in Christ are very narrow and border on cultishness.

20. JoAnn

JoAnn New Member

I whole heartedly agree on a woman's place. I think women are drawn to her because of her casual humorous entertainment...not the WORD.

I think Benny Hinn is appauling and anyone who supports him is also a fool.