1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judas and the Lord's supper revisited

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 16, 2002.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Recently, we had a rep from Jews for Jesus come to our church and do a Passover presentation. Very interesting, to say the least. I was able to gain lots of valuable insight.

One thing, though. He said in the passover celebration that there were four cups served. I can't remember the first two, but the last two were the redemption cup and the Hallel cup.

Many here on the board have said that Judas was not at the initiation of the Lord's supper part of the passover, but I don't see why, even based on these four cup issues, especially since most Jews are still looking for the Messiah.

Why is it a bad thing to think Judas was at the initiation of the Lord's Supper?

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its not so much a bad thing that Judas(goat) was there at that supper--what's so bad is the fact that he never received what that supper was pointing to. He never repented of his sins and never received Jesus. Lots of folks receive the Lord's Supper at churches who've never been saved!

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Saggy,
    They came to our church on Thursday. We (the children's workers) had a passover meal down stairs with the kids. It was really good. I learned so much.
    I also learned I don't want to have to eat horseraddish again.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yeah, that horseradish will clean out your sinuses.

You are right on that account, Blackbird.

I guess it behooves me in understanding that if it was traditional Jewish to take the four cups, then why would it be necessarily bad to symbolically take it with the establishment of the redemption by Christ.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missed something here. Are folks saying it was BAD for Judas to take the cup (#3 by the way) or just that the scripture teaches he was GONE by that part of the seder?

Will be observing Pesach with just the wife this year (week from Thursday). Preaching Prophecy Conferences in Churches, not doing a seder.

Lot less work for me! Although I have some good recipes for Charoseth and Morror that taste great on matzoh! :rolleyes:

6. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go again..... You folks let me know how this will come out, will you? I'll have to rest my weary bones.

[​IMG]

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I guess I am getting back to the question, Does the Bible really teach that? I just can't get settled with this.