1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judas Goat

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Jan 7, 2011.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

A Judas goat is a trained goat used at a slaughterhouse and in general animal herding. The Judas goat is trained to associate with sheep or cattle, leading them to a specific destination. In stockyards, a Judas goat will lead sheep to slaughter, while its own life is spared.

These goats have been used before Judas, just after what happened to Judas they named them after him.

Could this be what Jesus was referring to as goats in this passage?

Matthew 25: 31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Of course the sheep that followed the goats have already been lead to the slaughter?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Interesting. I'll be watching this.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Very interesting topic, indeed! I have never heard this before, but it's interesting, nonetheless!!

Now, in Leviticus chapter 16 a goat is used as a symbol of Jesus.

20 And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat:

21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:

22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

This is making reference to Jesus "becoming" sin(not sin itself), but all sins being placed upon Him as He was sacrificed on the cross. The goats used are recognized as sinners(you already know this, I know), and we, the children of God, are sheep.

So I see this passage as when Jesus comes to get the bride, the goats will be on the left(and sent to the lake of fire), and we will be on the right(going home to glory). IOW, this is the resurrection day, where there will be one general resurrection, the goats on the left, the sheep on the right. Right means "alright" and left means "left out"!!

i am I am's!!

Willis

4. psalms109:31

Story

I heard this story of the goats leading sheep into a pit, when I was pretty young and every time I hear the story of sheep and goats it reminds me of the story. I just wanted to hear others input.

Isaiah 53:6
    We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Mark 6:
    34 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.

Matthew 15:14
    Leave them; they are blind guides. If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”

2 Peter 3:16
    He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

When you say, "Of course the sheep that followed the goats have already been lead to the slaughter," can I assume that you are not talking about Christ's sheep? Jesus says in John 10 that He is the good Shepherd, and that His sheep follow Him, for they know His voice.

Incidentally, this reminded me of the thread "Christ is not a Goat herder" which you and I both contributed to. I seem to remember that you were saying there that "goats" in the bible are false teachers.

6. psalms109:31

Jesus will not lose one of His for they know His voice and they trust Him. Whoever listens and learns from the Father through the words of Jesus will come. Those who are meek and humble who trust in the Lord, the one's who trust in the Lord and not lean on their own understanding and Christ will direct their path.

Sheep follow a shepherd, they know nothing else to do they need a guide. I pity the guide who lead them to the slaughter.

I put some scripture down I do not mind hearing what others think?

7. psalms109:31

Goats and sheep is a hyperbole meant as a lesson for us. I have learned from it that it has to be an attitude, because no one is physically none of those animals, but we know what each do. A goat is stubborn, leads, don't have to depend on others, a sheep follows others because it doesn't know how to take care of itself. I consider myself a dog who begged at the master table and He included me with His own when I heard the Gospel of my salvation having believed and now treats me as one of His own.

Spurgeon often prayed, "Hasten to bring in all Thineelect, and then elect some more.

Ephesians 1:13

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

#7 psalms109:31, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012