1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge rules on Schiavo

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Gina B, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

2. Serving Him

Serving Him Member

This is a sad ruling. In the December 2002 Readers Digest there is an article about a woman who was in a coma for 16 years and came out of it.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

[Gooood night], this is sooo tough. I sympathize with everyone involved... the parents, the husband, the judge, I wouldn't want to be in any of their shoes.

[ November 24, 2002, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: The Squire ]

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The husband could have given guardianship to her parents and not had to deal with it. He already had a girlfriend right after it happened, and after he got his money he sued for to care for her and get her therapy he apparently didn't use it for therapy. He wants to get on with his life like he states, Terri's family would gladly take over Terri's care. But he won't let them. Ask yourself why not.
    A few simple facts.
    Before he got the money he wanted to take care of her and provide therapy.
    After he got it he didn't and has been fighting for her death. (when she dies he'll get the money that was awarded for her care, NOT that he didn't receive a good sum for himself already)
    Would you fight this hard for the death of a loved one, especially if you truly believed they were brain dead and couldn't feel pain or understand anything anyhow?
    IMO One of two things is going on. He's either doing this for the money or he truly feels bad and would rather have her die than suffer. In that case he believes she isn't braindead and there goes his reason for having her starved to death.
    I don't feel sympathy for him.
    Gina

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I understand where you're coming from. I really feel this one of those situations where it needs to be between the doctor and the family. This, to me, is one of those situations where there is no one clearcut answer. Reiterating, I don't envy the family, the judge, the doctors, or anyone else in this situation.

6. suzanne

suzanne New Member

I have wept over this case...it rends my heart [​IMG]

The is the most inhumane judgement...slowly starving. They could have at least given her drugs to quietly put her to sleep. Do you all realize how much she will suffer during the time of starvation? Do you all realize what happens to the human body as it starves? May God have mercy on their souls. [​IMG]

7. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

lets continue to pray for her and her family

yours, Jon.

8. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

I don't want to be rude but the [minced oath] used by JohnV is actually a shortened version of Jesus, and as such is not a word that believers should use. [and has been edited accordingly]

I realise that our brother did not use it with any wrongful intent but I thought it right to point this out.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

[ November 24, 2002, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: The Squire ]

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Suzanne, if they were to give her medications to kill her it would be murder.
    Oddly enough if one of my kids got hurt and was bleeding to death, it wouldn't be considered a natural death if I didn't take them to the hospital. I'd be a murderer. But starving someone to death isn't?
    Very odd.
    Gina

10. suzanne

suzanne New Member

I know :(
    It just makes me ill that people can stand by and watch her slowly and starve to death instead of quickly and quietly ending her life. Either way it is murder. People would be in an uproar if this was happening to animals.
    Welcome to world of situational ethics. :(

I will be praying that the parents can win the appeal.