1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judgemental attitudes

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Harold Garvey, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

What do you do when others come across towards you with statements like "Mr. Garvey, please listen (read posts) more and note that a number of folks have the same opinion of your attitude. Step back and observe more. "

I really don't know what this fellow wants from me. Is it he wants me to conform to what he expects everyone else to be and just like him?

I have in no way done what he's said I did.

Is it the norm here to express what one knows as the truth and then have it pushed down your throat, called names, and then told you have "a number of folks have the same opinion of your attitude"????

It seems some people have been talking ABOUT me rather than TO me.

If I am breaking or even bending any BB rules, please let me know, but BACK-OFF! with these judgemental attitudes!

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

brother, you need to let it go. Just count to ten (or twenty) and let it go.

Just some friendly advice :)

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Thank you, I let the other go. The moderators refuse to edit the name-calling which breaks the following rules:
    I let that go.

The attitude of being judgemental and accosting others in the way which it was done is only typical of the wishes of the devil.

I will follow good sound advice. I let this one go too.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Look, this board is here, free of charge, for us. If you have a problematic post, report it. I do that. Sometimes, the mods agree with me. Other times, they don't. But I'm not going fret over this...it's not that important in the scheme of things.

If I ever got to where it bothered me that much, I'd find another outlet, or just quit posting.

Tell the mods, let them do their job, and if it still bothers you that much, go elsewhere.

5. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Told them, they seem to be ignoring it. They have let the insults and violations remain.

Is this the mainstream attitudes of BB? If you hold to the rules and others break them and are offensive, don't confront it just leave?

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For some reason unbeknown to me, I seem to be having a hard time taking this tread very seriously.
    Our words do sometimes have a notorious tendency to come back and haunt us, I would say.
    This response was one of a series to EdSutton (that's me, obviously) in a series where I seem to have aroused the ire of said poster, by an admittedly very pointed question, about whether he happened to consider another Greek text other than the TR is acceptable for the NT, or would he deem other Bible translating groups that do not (apparently) require the TR as a prerequisite, as acceptable, considering he had just endorsed a site which states that ONLY the TR is acceptable, for translating the NT. This was actually at least the third mischaracterization of my own position and motives, FTR.
    Implication of dishonesty directed toward another poster who asked a question about a method of study. This implication was entirely unwarranted, IMO.
    Posted response to being "called out" over his "calling out" of another, regarding their use of grammar, where I happened to note 3 definite grammatical errors in a 4 sentence span.
    (My personal suggestion is that poster Harold Garvey should look up the definition of "persona", as this word was not misused, nor does the word, in any usage, ever imply arrogance of any sort.)

I dunno' here.

Does anyone have a clue as to why I might have trouble taking this thread seriously? :confused:

Ed

#6 EdSutton, May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I traded barbs with Mr. Garvey. He likes to point out other's supposed insults but seems to be blind to his own. Come on Harold, take a chill pill and enjoy the site without taking things so personally.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Mr Garvey,
    As I told you in another thread, you and another poster started about the same time, and within a few dozen posts, are into it with everyone in every thread, way beyond debate. Common sense says, learn the flow and feel for the board before making such statements. I suggest you ease in and watch for awhile.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Maybe it is the soundtrack of caterwauling that accompanies it?

10. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

I know the feeling you have, because I have had the same reactions. I have had my wrists slapped, been hit by low blows, etc (all figuratively of course), but I finally decided to thicken my skin (unless the insults get really strong such as doubting my salvation or calling me a liar). Now I post only when I am ready to take any fire that may be directed at me, deservedly or not. If I have doubts about my post or if I don't feel I can handle the heat, I get out of the kitchen. My advice to you echoes that of some others: Just chill out, roll with the punches, don't lead with your chin, enjoy the board and its opportunities to learn.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Mr. Garvey

If there is a problem with another poster-----you have an option of going to the top of the thread page--there is a little red/white triangle icon--click it and report the post to the moderators

Please note---that moderators cannot be at all places at all times---and it will take time for moderators to answer your alert--we ask that you remain patient until then.

Your friend,
    blackbird

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.