1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judges 16:13-14 - ancient error of omission?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Bluefalcon, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Judges 16:13-14 (NASB) says:

(13) Then Delilah said to Samson, "Up to now you have deceived me and told me lies; tell me how you may be bound." And he said to her, "If you weave the seven locks of my hair with the web [and fasten it with a pin, then I will become weak and be like any other man." (14) So while he slept, Delilah took the seven locks of his hair and wove them into the web]. And she fastened it with the pin and said to him, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" But he awoke from his sleep and pulled out the pin of the loom and the web.

The words in brackets (which are bolded for this post) have slipped out by accident according to BHS editors. The words "the seven locks of my head with the web" occur twice in the original text, according to the editors, and after copying the first occurance of the words an ancient transcriber skipped to the end of the second occurance of the words, and in so doing accidentally omitted all the words between the two phrases. The LXX has retained the apparent original wording.

Usually the KJV is accused of adding to the original text. This time it is accused of subtracting from it by following the descendants of a corrupt Hebrew mother MS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.