1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Junior Hill

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Psalm 100, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Has anyone heard of Junior Hill? He is invited to speak at our church next month, and supposedly has a good reputation as an evangelist, but I've never heard of him.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

3. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I heard him speak once at a missions conference. He was really good from what I remember.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Solid evangelist...kind of "old school" but does a great job. When I have seen him, he's done a good job at invitations (some evangelists are horrible at this)--communicating the heartfelt call to respond to God, yet not becoming emotionally manipulative.

The guy must preach 300 days a year. He's one of the busiest itinerant speakers I know of.

5. RandR

RandR New Member

In the pulpit, Junior is quite bold. Outside of the pulpit, Junior is a rather soft-spoken and very gracious southern gentleman.

His exegesis and hermeneutics aren't always the best, but his rhetorical skills and storytelling are great. I would imagine that your people will enjoy him quite a bit.

(Not to completely derail this thread, but I would ammend that to say that your people will enjoy him quite a bit unless your church is Calvinistic. Junior can be rather antagonistic towards Calvinism--or at least towards what he thinks Calvinism is.)

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree about Juniors exegesis and hermenutics. Everything I have ever heard him say is always solid. I have heard him many times and have many of his tapes. He is an old school SBC boy.

It is correct to say that he disagrees with most anything John Calvin taught. And rightly so.

7. Uncle AlaGator

Uncle AlaGator New Member

Junior Hill is one of the best laid back pulpit speakers who can turn it on at the close of the service.

Awesome dry sense of humor.

8. LovesJesus

LovesJesus New Member

Yes, he came to our church this last January and he was excellent. Our church is blessed to have him stop by periodically.

A lot of people got saved that day he came. I was overjoyed at that sight.

Hope you enjoy him and I hope some people get saved at your services. Tell him the people at Rock Springs said "hey!".

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

He is a regular speaker at the FBCJAX Pastor's School---top of the line--the VERY top of the line--and hilarious!!! You'll love him---and you are LUCKY for him to put you on his "schedule"---he stays booked up 3-5 years in advance!!

Blackbird

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

He spoke at seminary chapel a few times. I really liked him

11. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He came to our church (Emmanuel in Grenada) last summer for a one-day revival--a week before Katrina hit.

12. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

He spoke last May at Baptist Bible College Fellowship week for the BBFI and did a great job. I would not hesitate to travel to listen to him again. Your people will be truely blessed.

13. RandR

RandR New Member

Rev. Mitchell,

The comment about exegesis and hermeneutics was in no way a jab at Junior's character, his commitment to the Word, or the ability of his messages to speak to people's hearts.

But very often the points that he makes in the sermon don't necessarily come from the actual text taken in context. That doesn't mean they aren't "biblical", it just means that his sermons are more like Bailey Smith's than they are like Jerry Vines'. (Junior's hermeneutics and exegesis are much better than Bailey's, so I guess its kind of relative.)

I would also disagree with you that Junior would disagree with "most anything" John Calvin wrote. Unless of course you are asserting that Junior does not believe in the innate sinfulness of humanity, justification by faith alone, or eternal security. (Obviously he does.)

You probably meant to say that Junior would disagree with "most anything" of what Calvin wrote specifically about predestination and effectual calling. In that case (based upon a dinner conversation with him in which "Calvinism" came up) I think you'd be right.

14. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Too bad there ain't more "old school"dudes around in my opinion.
    Especially if you mean by old school that a preacher or evanglelist preaches the whole council of God instead of just those "positive" aspects of the Gospel.
    Maybe Lottie Moon giving would increase and more SBC churches would start seeing souls saved and the baptismal waters stirring if folk were reminded more often that your going to die and go to hell and be tormented forever if you never accept Christ as your Savior.
    Nope SBC has "new school" guys like Ed Young Jr. or Andy Stanley. Those dudes may believe in hell but you could listen to them for a 6mos. on the radio(Ed Young Jr. anway) and I doubt you would ever hear the word hell even mentioned.
    I guess I must be old school cause I still believe hell is as hot as heaven is heavenly. It is going to last forever too I might add.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If they knew the urgency of salvation and going to hell they would speak with urgency and conviction. I found out in the last church I pastored that they did not like that kind of message very well because they werer accustoemd to laziness and complacency. Complacency describes most of the churches in the US. Where are the prayer meetings and the urgency and conviction from the pulpit?

16. shannonL

shannonL New Member

GB,

Yep, complacency along with apathy.In my first church they got mad at me because they thought we were spending to much time praying duriing Wed. night "prayer" meeting. They said I should do more preaching instead of us praying so much.
    Honestly that is what the folk said.
    I just thought before I could get those folk excited about reaching the lost in our community that we should turn our hearts to prayer in order to build up a sense of compassion for folk etc...

What was I thinking huh??

17. pituophis

pituophis New Member

I agree with R and R about Junior's exegesis. I've heard him preach about 4-5 times and have enjoyed each one (even though I am a Calvinist). Junior is very bold in the pulpit, adressing many things that need to be addressed (even though he often has used a passage of scripture to "springboard" into a topic). He preached at an evangelism conference a couple of years ago in my state where he critisized baptist churches for removing the name Baptist from their name (which the church where the conference was held had done a couple of years prior). He also preached against "seeker" churches (whiuch this church could be considered) and made a crack at preachers with Phd's (guess what the preacher of this church had?).

18. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Sometimes PH.d. can stand for Pig Headed Dude.