1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Junk food in schools.

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by The Scribe, Dec 1, 2007.

1. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Effort to Limit Junk Food in Schools Faces Hurdles - New York Times

I see it's fine to pass out condoms and teach sex in schools. But, they must draw the line at candy and "fatty" foods. :rolleyes:

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think they need to get rid of candy, soda and condoms in schools. They took the soda machine out of our local school a few years ago I heard.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Children belong to their parents. They are not wards of the state(or at least they shouldn't be).

We need a complete separation of education and state in these United States.

Even if one wants the state to ban these foods, why is it any business of the federal government? Shouldn't this be decided on the local level, or at least on the state level?

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The buffet provided at our local high school is nearly unrivaled. Wide variety of foods, including pizza, but fries and colas are there too. Sister in law works there and says that the vast majority of food consumed are relatively healthy.

Back in the day:
    I remember canned peas back in the late 50's, that still offer a gag response as I think about them. And those horrible beets, and mac and cheese.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Having lived all over the U.S. as a kid, I had both good and bad school cafeteria food. The best was in GA, where even the hamburger buns were freshly baked at the school. All their breads were delicious, and I have never tasted anything like them since. On Thanksgiving, they had a delcious turkey dinner that you could smell cooking all over the school. Back in those days, we were deprived, as they didn't give us any condoms, but one kid thought he was a big shot by carrying one around in his wallet and showing it off to everyone. Nobody thought to ask him why he hadn't used it! :laugh:

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Those were the days. Carefree.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I think it would be terrific if they banned selling soda, and candy from schools. Those things were just brought in out of greed, at the cost to children's health. The parents can pack it in their lunch if they so desire.

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

As long as they take out the condoms and sex ed. We wouldn't want a double standard now. ;)