1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just a Few Questions

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Palatka51, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The Pope was at the US White House Wednesday.

Did it bother you that the POTUS was addressing him as "Holy Father?"

Did you hear or see Benedict XVI give the speech?

Did you notice that the Lord's Prayer was sang at the Pope? Kathleen Battle facing the Pontiff began "Our Father, which art in Heaven ---".

Did you notice that the US Army Choir sang the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" while facing at attention to Benedict XVI?

Now I know that it is customary that when singing to a Dignitary of State you face them in honorable acknowledgment but when singing a hymn I find it very disconcerting that one would make eye contact with any man while singing about Christ. It's as if the song they sing is meant to be honoring him as God/Christ.

Honestly the speech was great, IMO. However the directed singing and Bush's acknowledgment to him as "Holy Father" troubled me very much.

Matt 19:17
    17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

2. Walguy

Walguy Member

I think it was just Bush in his official capacity as POTUS addressing another world leader by an accustomed title. If they chatted privately about non-official business, I doubt that Bush did/would address him like that.
    ANYONE addressing another human being as 'Holy Father' does bother me, for obvious reasons, but I don't see this incident as being anything other than formality demanded by the occasion, so it doesn't bother me very much.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, this is the same POTUS that said Muslims and Christians worship the same god.

Nope.

In defense of my Army brethren, the US Army Choir is not a Christian group. They sing what they're told, in the position they're told.

As it should.

The Pope has been held up as "God on earth" for centuries. Your quote of a verse is more apropos than a lot of people realize.

4. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

That should be enough to wake some people up. Then again they didn't wake up when the priests were found out to be abusing children.

Matthew 23:8-9 (KJV)
    8: But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
    9: And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

No worse than calling a judge, "Your Honor."

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I wish this was all the Pope's visit represented....

But, there's an increasing move towards ecumenalism (sp?) going on in high places...... showing the truth that even governments cannot divorce themselves from the religious practices of people.... and therefore are involving themselves in creating a religion of 'all people' which will conform them into obediant servants of the state.

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thanks to everyone that has responded. IMHO, everyone needs to see the push to bring in all that is being worshiped under the Catholic (universalism) umbrella. I watch EWTN from time to time just to get info. There was a Priest speaking of the move to bring all "Sisters of the faith" back to ecumenical unity. He used many graphics but the most blatant was a pictorial of many roads coming to a focal point of one road that "leads to Rome."

Apparently many are following these "roads." One big name recently is former PM of GB, Tony Blair.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Won't be long before ALL religions are a "part" of gov't EXCEPT Christianity; TRUE Christianity, that is.

As a religion, christianity will be accepted, but not Christianity! Just like god is accepted, but not God!

And of course "JESUS" will never be anything but part of an expletive.

9. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No more than a Christian addressing a preacher as "reverend".