1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just A Question About Funerals

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Pastor Sam, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am retired and I had a funeral home call me and ask me to do a funeral. I knew the person and I had visited them in the hospital before their death. Afterwards her death I visited the husband in the home and spent a great deal of time preparing for the funeral. I spent 3 hours comforting his family members before the funeral and stayed with the family until everything was completed.

Then when we road to the cemetery usually the funeral director gives me check. This time I got nothing and nobody said thank you or anything after I left. Is this normal that they don't give retired Pastor's anything for doing a funeral?

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my experience that the family is charged by the funeral home for an honorarium for the officiant of the memorial service. If the family paid the funeral home, the funeral should pay the officiant.

I have always requested that my honorarium be placed in the memorial fund designated by the family (usually their local church).

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm expected by my church to play the piano for any funeral where I am personally requested. When I was working - I was expected to take off if it was possible. Sometimes people pay me. Sometimes they don't. Some people send a card of thanks. Some don't acknowledge I was even there.

I never say a word about it or complain. People are in a state of grief and many feel the church pianist "comes with the venue". I would never insist on being paid for funerals. Ever.

Weddings, on the other hand? I charge big-time and it's a hefty fee. $250 to $300 per wedding. It keeps most people at bay which is what I like because I DETEST playing for weddings. The service itself isn't that bad, but the rehearsals which can run into 2-3 hours of silly behavior and the changing of the music over and over drive me crazy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure there is a normal, but I don't think it is related to your being retired. Around here, most of the time, any donation come directly from the family -- or it doesn't come at all. I don't charge for funerals, and don't expect anything, but a thank-you card is always nice in order to know what you did was appreciated.

5. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the third funeral with this same funeral home since I retired and the first times I was not given anything for my services.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago I did a lot of funerals. Apparently, I was the "go to" guy that the funeral homes would call for unchurched families in my little Central Texas town where I pastored a small church. I would always accept and work hard to support the family and walk them through the process of giving their loved one a dignified and gospel-centered burial.

I never asked for any money to do it, since I was in that town to minister and would tell the family that when/if the subject came up. At the same time, I was always given something by the family, according to what they could afford. I was barely getting by at the time, eating a lot of peanut butter and beans for meals because I couldn't afford to have meat more than a few times a week, but God provided for me through the gifts from the families.

Beyond funerals for family members, there has only been one time I was not given anything for a funeral and that was for the funeral of one of my closest friend's father. The family could barely afford the funeral costs and I made a point that I would not accept anything from them.

My attitude is, serve the families and grieving and don't expect anything from them. Therefore, whether you get paid or not won't be an issue. God looks after His children.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have done a great number of funerals both of church families and those who were unchurched. I would never ask someone to give me anything but this is the first time I have gotten nothing. Since I retired the funeral home doesn't give me anything.

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    so, you should talk to the funeral home about it if it bothers you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did they said the family did not direct them to give me anything. They said they follow the wishes of their clients.