1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just A Thought on being called a Christian...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by showard93, Sep 5, 2003.

1. showard93

showard93 New Member

I have been wondering about alot of the topics here on the Baptist Boards from piercings,dress,hair etc....

My thought is and this is just a hypothetical(sp) situation. If God had been dealing with an individual all day and this person goes to wal-mart only to find that God is dealing with him again and again. He say's Lord I don't know what to do and The Lord says find a Christian in Wal- Mart and they will help you.

So my question is; When he looked at you could he tell you were a Christian or would you be over looked?

Do you feel as a Christian you should look,act and be different than the world. I have always thought of the word Christian to mean Christ like, so are we like Christ. [​IMG]

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Supose there are 50 people in WalMart,and at least 20 are christians, all are clean neat looking people, not wearing anything trashy per say. Which one is christian? If your choosing by looks,
    What does a christian look like?

3. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I've gone into crowded stores, malls, and restaurants and have seen Christians. It's not only how they dress, they also have a "look" that gives them away.

When I meet someone who doesn't look like a Christian, and they tell me that they are, Surprise :eek: could have fooled me. There is something about looking like a Christian that speaks volumes to a lost world.

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Please tell me, both of you, what does a Christian in wallmart look like?

5. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

I was in WalMart today. I sure hope I looked like one!! [​IMG]

6. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

a walmartjunkie too?

7. showard93

showard93 New Member

Well I beleive that a Christian will be modest dress and not going with the styles of the world which is got mostly from hollywood. Also clean haircuts and no worldly looking styles. I don't believe you have to have a shirt on that says I am a Christian but I think somehow people. I have also ran into people that are talking about church and they are cussing and dressed like the world.
    2Corinthians6:17 says- Wherefore come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord. (KJV)
    Romans12:2 says- And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable, and perfect will of God.

8. showard93

showard93 New Member

oops...... :rolleyes: .... I don't believe you have to have a shirt on that says I am a Christian but I think somehow people.

This was supposed to say I think somehow people will know. [​IMG]

9. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I don't know if I "look like a Christian" I guess, I used to care about having that outward appearance to other people. But somewhere along the line, I stopped caring about what people think about what I look like. I just grew out of thinking like that.

I treat everyone as if they are Christian, You know how I find out if they are? Talking. You have to look in their eyes and actually talk with a person, and you would be surprised...sometimes the really God loving person looks, I don't know...normal. Just like everyone else. And sometimes people who "look like Christians" are actually accountants.

But what do I know?....

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

So if they don't meet what you think a christian looks like you doubt they are christians.
    Doesn't sound very biblical to me.

11. computerjunkie

LOL!!! :D

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Christiasn aren't they only ones who dress modest.

Christians aren't they only ones who cut their hair.
    What si a worldly looking style, compared to a more christ like style?

I'm with Laurenda, I don't worry what I looke like, if I meet your criteria of what a christian should look like, it's only men's opinions you are asking people to conform to.
    As I said in my original post if they are all modestly dresses, ho do you know who is a christian and who isn't? Could it be by judgeing people on what you want them to look like you may be leaving off some christians? After all even the world wear nice clothing(not evrey unbelievers dress indecent) that looks modest, and cuts their hair, some people who do that aren't christians at all. But they meet your criteria of what a christian looks like, so they must be christians, right?

13. computerjunkie

Yep! But I do try to look nice when I go there...so people will know I'm a Christian.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!) [​IMG]

14. computerjunkie

I have a friend who looks like this...she's a Mormon.

Please don't misunderstand me, showard93. I'm not trying to knock what you believe. But I simply don't think you can know if someone is a Christian by the way they dress.

"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

15. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I think judging someone by an outward appearance or judging your ownself by what you look like is rediculous!

A Man shows up at your door, dirty, wind blown, tattered, Sand in his Shoes, and tired. He ask you for a drink of water. You either do or you don't give it to him. You automatically assume things. But guess what, His name was Jesus!

Don't judge people by an outward appearance. It is the new robe on the inside you should be rejoicing about!

You need help...ask God. They don't sell Christians at Wal-Mart! Many people shop at Wal-Mart. But only those who abide in Christ, will go to God for help!

I hope, God forgive me if I do, I never judge someone because they did not dress up to a way that someone else thinks someone should, to be a Christian!

John The Baptist wore camel hair!

Sherrie

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Looks are deceiving. Clothing and demeanor are not a sure sign of ones spiritual standing.

Diane

17. showard93

showard93 New Member

I do agree with that. I guess I just think being seperate from the world means the outside as well as the inside.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was in Sears, not WalMart, so God missed me altogether.

And the two guys in nice white shirts and ties shopping along with me were both 20 and called "Elder" by the LDS.

And an older gal (my age) with a dowdy ill fitting dress down almost to her ankles and her long gray hair in a rat's nest of hair pulled up in a "bun". But she was the Full Gospel UPC pastor's wife.

How foolish a question.

20. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Okay, please tell me what a worldly hair cut looks like, or what a clean haircuit looks like for that matter.