1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just As I Am (God So Loved The World)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by GordonSlocum, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

Two Acronyms

TULIP vs. CURED

The acrostic TULIP has been around for some time. I am sure there are scores of counter acrostics out there but no one has coined one that has stuck as well as the TULIP has for the Calvinist. Well I have one that will stick. I want everyone that is non-Calvinist to take it and freely used it. It time for non-Calvinist to step up to the plate and dominate in all areas of literature, public media, others and make sure the everyday believer is informed about this religious philosophy know as Philosophical Calvinism.

As I write this post, my heart is over whelmed with a theme many of us know. Calvinism scoffs at the old fashion invitation in churches. If you are a like believer who believes that old fashion invitation are effective in ministry is seeing the lost come to Christ then take time to visit First Baptist Church Woodstock web site and listen to the AM service by Dr. Bill Stafford.

I say this form my heart and I know that the others don’t like it but many of you know as I do that countless thousands are saved each week because Soul winning Evangelical Churches are out telling lost people about Jesus. While this is going on and souls are being saved the leaches of philosophical Calvinism are licking their chops to run to their side and confuse them, steal their joy, and purpose from their hearts. Philosophical Calvinism is a killer of churches, their growth is from proselytes. This humanistic prideful misguided pseudo called Christians belief is wrong. Join me in speaking out. The field is still white unto harvest.

Just as I am, with-out one plea, But that Thy blood was shed for me, And that Thou bidd’st me come to Thee O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just as I am, and waiting not To rid my soul of one dark blot, To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot, O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just as I am, though tossed about With many a conflict, many a doubt, Fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God, I come!, I come!

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind: Sight, riches, healing, of the mind, Yea, all I need, in Thee I find, O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive, Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; Because Thy promise I believe, O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Remember when you came to Christ. Remember when you heart was tender and in love with Jesus.

Here you are now caught up is struggles and striving that has robbed you heart and souls of its peace. You are caught up in doctrines that rob you soul and mind of the sweet fellowship and passion to see the lost come to Christ.

Is it now your goal to convince, not the lost, but Christians they are not what they are with a false Christians philosophy. You know you are without joy and fighting against God. You can stop. You can surrender. You can return to Love and kindness, and passion for the lost. Why not today.

How many Calvinist are on their knees in tears and brokenness for the lost. Jesus is the lover of all souls and you having left your first love now seek to damn people to hell with this philosophy. As the spirit of God is convicting the lost he is also talking to you. You know it. You can stop letting pride steal your joy. You can scoff, reason, run, but you know your joy is robbed with this errant view of Christianity.

Those of you that are believers in this philosophy of the Tulip there is always hope for you to forsake it and return to Biblical Truth. Leave that soul hating religion today. Jesus is the lover of souls. All Calvinism is - is man's pride and arrogance. Don't let your heart be poisoned by this venom. If you are in a Church like this leave. Starting today settle it once for all and leave. There is a Church somewhere that honors God and seeks the salvation of the Lost. Just do it.

For all who are following the sound Biblical Teaching, which is not Calvinism, I have offered the acrostic CURED for you to use and copy and preach on, and teach on. I urge you to listen to sermons similar to Dr. Vines that you have access to from the pod cast at the First Baptist Church Woodstock.

Here is a series he as taught at FBCW

Dr. Vines Oct. 1 PM service Sermon on Liberalism
    Dr. Vines Oct 8 PM service Sermon dealing with Calvinism
    Dr. Vines Oct 22 PM service Sermon dealing with Tongues

Come back to :jesus: :godisgood: He is waiting on you to return to compassion, joy, love, kindness, passion for the lost.

:jesus: is the answer - are you filled to the top with His love? It is never to late.

#1 GordonSlocum, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

People who didn't get your memo:

"The future is as bright as the promises of God" - William Carey

"If sinners be dammed, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one GO there UNWARNED and UNPRAYED for." - Charles Spurgeon

"We are not called to proclaim philosophy and metaphysics, but the simple gospel. Man's fall, his need of a new birth, forgiveness through atonement, and salvation as the result of faith, these are our battle-ax and weapons of war." - Charles Spurgeon

"Brethren, do something; do something, do something! While societies and unions make constitutions, let us win souls. I pray you, be men of action all of you. Get to work and quit yourselves like men. Old Suvarov's idea of war is mine: `Forward and strike! No theory! Attack! Form a column! Charge bayonets! Plunge into the center of the enemy! Our one aim is to win souls; and this we are not to talk about, but do in the power of God!'" - Charles Spurgeon

"How can I help weeping when you will not weep for yourselves, though your immortal souls are on the verge of destruction!" - George Whitfield

“Preach abroad….It is the cooping yourselves up in rooms that has dampened the work of God, which never was and never will be carried out to any purpose without going into the highways and hedges and compelling men and women to come in.” - Jonathan Edwards

I'm sure one could find similar quotes from people who are/were not Calvinists too. I count such brothers as friends and co-laborers for Christ. Surely, what counts is being ambassadors for Christ and not for Calvin or against Calvin; the gospel is much more important than that my friend.

#2 Brandon C. Jones, Nov 6, 2006
  3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

This guy(slocum) knows so little about calvinism that I doubt he will understand the implications of the authors of the quotes...

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I will put his "cured" up against your "tulip" anytime.

:thumbsup:

5. Brandon C. Jones

There's no such thing as my TULIP Bob. I certainly disagree with some of it, but it doesn't matter to many people because in their eyes I also associate with someone who had a hand in killing Servetus so it's probably my murder too, eh?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It was really in response to Reformed.
    It seems as if your quotes from Spurgeon that he was trying to appeal to everyone. I don't get from that quote from him as being just to a particular group. Am I right or wrong?

As you can see below, that is why the response to Reformed.

#6 Brother Bob, Nov 6, 2006
  7. reformedbeliever

Watch out Brandon.... He will use his cartoons on you!

8. reformedbeliever

It is not my TULIP either bob. Read your Christian history book bob.

9. Brandon C. Jones

You are correct Bob, Spurgeon believed in salvation by grace through faith via the general call of the gospel to everyone without distinction. He was even a five-pointer you know.

10. reformedbeliever

Are your keys sticking again bob?

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, if he believed that all could come to the Lord then why such a harsh belief today among Calvinist?

You see Brandon how people like Reformed keep needling until they get responses to cut them down a notch? I wonder why Calvinist have such "hate"? Never show love except to their own. Are they afraid they are losing he battle of Calvinism?

#11 Brother Bob, Nov 6, 2006
  12. reformedbeliever

Go back and read the posts bob, it was you who said ï'd put his cured against your tulip. C'mon bob. If you start with it, do you not expect a response?

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is 100% not true. Calvinists believe in evangelism. However, unlike those who deny God's sovereign rule, we acknowledge that God draws to Himself those who are His sheep (Jn 10:27-28) and that those the Father has given to the Son will come to the Son (Jn 6:37-39). We believe what Paul says when he writes that believers are choosen by God before the foundation of the world.

We don't deny evangelism, in fact some of the great evangelists of old were Calvinists (John Newton, Johnathan Edwards, George Whitefield, CH Spurgeon, etc).

Also, what do you mean by "old fashion invitation"? Are you talking about alter calls or are you refering to evangelism in general?

==Apart from the work of the Holy Spirit, God the Father, and God the Son nobody will be saved. Many of the modern evangelistic techniques lead people through a "route" that results in a decision. Sadly however many of those people who make a decision do not become true followers of Christ. A person cannot come to Christ unless the Father who sent Him draws that person to Christ (Jn 6:37,44, etc).

==That is a lie. We are interested in Biblical doctrine, and being Biblically correct.

==I guess you have never been to John MacArthur's church have you? Are you aware of Whitefield's revivals? Calvinistic churches, so called, do grow. They grow via evangelism. However we don't push people through unBiblical, emtional routes that results in a bunch of false conversions.

Quoting a hymn proves nothing. You need to return to Scripture and run from your traditions. The Calvinistic focus on the sovereign rule of God in salvation is not humanism. Humanism is a focus on human ability (etc). The doctrines of grace focus on God and His sovereign rule in salvation.

==Again, not true.

==Actually I believe the Word of God, that is why I believe the doctrines of Grace. The words of Jesus Christ in John 6:37-39 stands eternally against you.

I have joy in my Lord, and experience the joy of His salvation.

==Plenty. However I doubt you are aware of that since you "probably" don't know any (or many) people who are Calvinists.

==You need to get into the Word of God, run from your truly humanistic traditions, and ask God to show you the truth of His grace and salvation. Salvation is of the Lord.

==This statement proves, beyond any doubt, that you have no clue what calvinism (so-called) really teaches. Calvinism focuses on the Lord and His sovereign rule in salvation. That can't be humanistic. Your position, known as Semi-Pelagianism, is nothing but humanism. You try to add human will and effort to salvation. Salvation is of the Lord.

==Dr Vines, while a fine man and teacher, is confused on this issue. As is Ergun Caner, Emir Caner, Jerry Falwell, Paige Patterson, and the late Adrian Rodgers. I would advise anyone who wants to know the truth about the doctrines of grace to read the writings of John Newton, Johnathan Edwards, James White, John MacArthur, and Tom Ascol (among others). These men know what they are talking about. If you listen to people like Vines (etc) you are not going to get a true picture of the doctrines of grace.

Keep in mind that when John Newton wrote the great hymn "Amazing Grace" he was writing about a grace that comes through God's sovereign rule in salvation.

I guess, according to GordonSlocum, men like John Newton did not have joy in the Lord. GordonSlocum would have us believe that John Newton, George Whitefield, Johnathan Edwards, and others were part of a "soul hating" religion.

14. reformedbeliever

Keys sticking again........lol

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That is simply a statement that I stick with.

As a matter of fact my keys are sticking. What is that to you?

So, we begin another day of C/A slash and burn.

#15 Brother Bob, Nov 6, 2006
  16. reformedbeliever

Its been what......... 2 minutes and you have not edited this yet?:laugh:

17. reformedbeliever

That is so funny......, I hadn't even finished and he edited.... lol

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are a man of hate Reformed. I will pray for you.

**Question of personal salvation removed**

#18 Brother Bob, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  19. reformedbeliever

I don't hate you bro. bob. I think you can be funny, and actually enjoy debating with you when you will debate without your usual tactics. If someone uses your own tactics or simply respond to your attacks, you don't like your own medicine. And you question my salvation? God bless you bro. bob. By the way..... good morning too.

#19 reformedbeliever, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

sure...................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.