1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just As I Am

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Palatka51, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Who has read this book by Billy Graham?

What is your view of it?

Do you recall what Baptist Church he was ordained in?

Do you recall the name of the Pastor that baptized him into the Baptist faith?

Does the book tell the name of the town this Baptist Church was in or near?

2. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I never read the book so I can't answer your first question...however, here is a link telling about Billy Graham's religious affiliation:

http://www.adherents.com/people/pg/Billy_Graham.html

Apparently, he was raised Presbyterian but converted to Southern Baptist. Also, I do recall that his late wife, Ruth, was also raised Presbyterian.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I have read the book. I am just wondering how many here on BB has. Thanks for the link, Linda. The three latter questions will surprise many when they find the answers.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read it, but it was about a hunnert years ago, so I have very little recall of it.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

In the fall of 1936, the young man began attending the fundamentalist school, Bob Jones College, in Cleveland, Tennessee. He had begun to consider the possibility of becoming some kind of Christian worker. However, he could not adjust to campus life at Bob Jones and left after a few months. He transferred in January of 1937 to Florida Bible Institute (now Trinity College) from which he graduated in 1940 with a BTh (Bachelor of Theology degree). While at FBI, he became convinced that he should be baptised by immersion as an adult and Rev. John Minder, vice-president of FBI, presided at the sacrament. He began preaching on street corners and at rescue missions and small churches. In December, 1938, while he was leading a series of meetings at the Peniel Baptist Church in East Palatka, Florida, he was baptized again by the church's pastor, Rev. Cecil Underwood (a Southern Baptist), in Silver Lake. He agreed to the baptism to be acceptable to Southern Baptists and at this time began his life-long membership in the Southern Baptist Convention.

The rest of the story is here.

Just as a source of history, my father Alvin M. Hall, Sr was ordained by the Rev. Cecil Underwood. My sister was baptized in Silver Lake.