1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"just" calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by nodak, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SP, you are ideally suited for falling prey to conspiracy theories. Plots and intrigue are right up your alley. Add a dash of slander and a smidgen of fabrication and this perfectly suits your personality.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone Forgot To Wake This Guy Up

Are you on automatic pilot or something Ps.?

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

When Rippon wrote, "No one is elect because they are church members," I understood him to mean, "Joining a church doesn't cause a person to be elect." After all, he was replying to a comment made by you stating the very opposite, referring to a comment from psalms109:31: "We can be "elect" just because we are church members." But I may be wrong. If so, I am sure Rip will put me right. :)

#63 David Lamb, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  4. skypair

skypair Active Member

I notice you are avoiding the parallel situation of Israel because you KNOW they were "elect" -- believers and unbelievers alike. Paul said (1Cor 4:3-4) tells us not to judge before the time but there is church discipline (1Cor 5) to "boot" those who are visibly NOT "making their calling and election sure."

Furthermore, technically the "wheat and tares" represent Israel, not the church. It's the "mustard tree" that is the church.

You're basically still "buying" Calvinism "lock, stock, and barrel" though, aren't you?

skypair

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: You are correct David.

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

Just call me "Mel Gibson!" :laugh: Remember his taxi driver role in "Consiracy Theory?" Good flick!

Me? I'm "sniffin' out" the "birds of the air" that lodge in the church "branches!"

Sardis had "a name that liveth but art dead." Sardis was one of the churches in God's plan yet most of it was dead. Laodicea was worse! Yet both were "elect" just as much as Israel at Christ's first advent, rip! And both have very specific uses for which God "elected" them both in this age and in the tribulation.

skypair

8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Yes

The Lord told me to be strong and courageous

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: Well, that's fine. But why don't you type posts that are more conventional, so we can understand them? Try to address more things than your old stockpile. A little variety would be helpful Ps.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

We differ -- rip and I -- because rip sees "election = salvation." Of course, no one is saved by joining the church.

I see "election = God's purpose." Church members do the work of God (advancing the name of Christ) even though they be "dead" (Rev 3:1).

skypair

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: No, election does not equal salvation.Election is unto salvation.See 2 Thess. 2:13,14.Election is before salvation.No one enters life saved.God executes His foreordained plan in the lifetime of His elect ones.There is the testimony of the Bible on one side of this issue, and the ideas of depraved folks on the other.Election comes long before the work of grace in someone's heart. I know you don't like what Acts 13:48 says, but faith is a result of election, not the cause of it.

13. psalms109:31

Repeat

I keep repeating them many ways hoping that you will understand what i already said, but it is like a circle you do the same as i do and i have to give the same answer as i already did.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: I do not think I am the only one who finds your posts confusing. They are strange even. Vary your repertoire. I guarantee that I do not do as you do Ps. You have a unique niche.

15. psalms109:31

Confusing

I don';t see them confusing I clarify pretty well, but I seem to have the same answers because you keep comming back with what I already answered.

I'll keep preaching as God tells me to do and He will open thier eyes.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: Well I guess I was wrong. If you say so Ps.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Is that really right? Do all non-Calvinists believe that the wheat and the tares represent Israel? Commenting on Matthew 13.25, Adam Clarke wrote:

But while men slept:
    When the professors were lukewarm, and the pastors indolent, his enemy came and sowed tares, degenerate, or bastard wheat. The righteous and the wicked are often mingled in the visible Church. Every Christian society, how pure soever its principles may be, has its bastard wheat—those who bear a resemblance to the good, but whose hearts are not right with God.

Now certainly Clarke didn't "buy Calvinism, lock, stock and barrel, unless a biography of him is mistaken when it says:
    Clarke followed Wesley in opposing a Calvinistic scheme of salvation, preferring instead the Wesleyan-Arminian positions.

I would be very surprised if Adam Clarke was the only non-calvinist who has that view of the parable of the wheat and the tares. It is not a view that only calvinists hold.

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Surely you can't be saying that the "elect" won't assuredly be saved? For the purposes of this discussion, they mean the same in your mind and do NOT mean "elect = set aside to God's purposes."

In fact, here's a little lesson on the difference: salvation comes by "justification" with God. Justification, even Sproul will tell you, requires belief and repentance. Sometimes if comes bacause you are associated with an "elect" assembly (Israel or the church) but being "elect" in that manner is not a prerequisite.

"Election" is actually SANCTIFICATION as in "the infant is SANCTIFIED by the believing spouse." Is the infant saved? No. Is it "set aside" by God on account of the believing spouse? Yeah. It is ELECT before it believes because it has some relationship to God (just like Israel and just like the church do). Making our "calling"/justification (Rom 8:30) and "election"/sanctification sure simply means continuing to grow in grace.

skypair

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For SP's Benefit

SP, if you simply bother to read my full posts you wouldn't pose the kinds of questions you do.

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

No. I believe only a few have even considered my admittedly dispensational interpretation of the Mt 13 parables. But I find that it is the only interpretation that fits all 11 of them. In the first 4 parables* (Mt 13:3-8), what kind of seed was the "sower" sowing? It becomes clear in 13:25 that a) it is wheat and b) that since Moses, Israel has "slept" whilest the devil sowed tares into Israel.

Then Jesus interjects something totally "out of the blue" -- the "mustard tree," the church. It is similar in that there is apostacy in it -- the "birds of the air"/"wicked ones" find lodging in it. It is also notable that it totally disappears from the discourse (as by being taken out of the timeline).

But in the 6th parable, the "woman" and the "leaven," we see something very interesting. What is the purpose of growing "wheat?" To make flour, right? But this is called "meal." Why? IMO, it is because the mix is "wheat" and something else -- say "barley" which represents the Gentiles (likely the "left behind" apostate church -- Laodicea at least!).

There's been a "false harvest" here, hasn't there! Something make to look like Rev 14:15-19 but conducted by the "woman"/false Christ.

Well, the last 4 parables showing judgments apply to the 7th dispensation -- the kingdom of Christ. When He returns, He will judge the living "wheat and tares" (Israel), the dead "treasure" (OT Israel whom He found when He first came), the dead "pearl" (from the sea of believing but dead trib Gentiles) and the fish (living Gentiles) -- likely in that order.

* In order, the wayside is Adam -- the shallow ground, Adam to Noah -- the thorny ground, Noah to Abraham -- the good ground, Abraham to Moses. If you are familiar with the dispensations, you'll see that innocence failed at the tree -- conscience failed at Cain -- human government failed at Babel -- family failed at Egypt and but the purpose of God has always been to call and bless a people unto Himself like Israel or the church.

No. that was just a general observation regarding rip meaning that he is unable to consider anything that he senses might "upset the applecart." :laugh:

skypair​