1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just Out Of Curiousity....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, May 4, 2006.

1. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

How many knew that Isaac was in his 30's when he was offered up on the alter by his father?

And that he was a type of Christ in so many ways?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know he was a type of Christ . But though his age at that time was not given ,I think most commentators put his age around the late teens .

3. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Yes his actual age isn't given but chronologically speaking by his parents age and Sarah's death it is figured out.I will share later when i get all the verses together. I believe it can be found in Gen 23 but will have to check later

It figures to be the same as Christ either 33 or 34

[ May 04, 2006, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

The type of Christ idea I have heard and accept, but...

What evidence do you have to demonstrate that Isaac was in his 30's at the time of the trip to the mountain?

5. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

read my above post and you will see. I have to go for now and it will take some digging and listening to an old tape by a previous pastor i had.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible is not definitive on his age at the time of the testing of Abraham.

It was after his "weaning" and Ishmael's expulsion and before Sarah's death.

But was it right after or right before or somewhere inbetween?

This could place him anywhere from 5 to 37. He was old enough to understand the process of the sacrifice and to gather the wood, but I don't see an exact age specified.

7. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Well Sarah was 90 when she concieved right? and she died at 127 so that would make anywhere between 33 and 37.

Concieved 90...birth 91. weaned around 5 maybe, Sarah's death 127.

I wouldn't be saying this if i couldn't prove it. Just one of those biblical facts most do not know and yet is very interesting.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

There is no age specified and anyone that claims to know for sure, doesnt. It is all speculation at best.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess it all depends on the timeline between the end of chapter 22 and the beginning of chapter 23.

If the testing of Abraham and the death of Sarah were chronologically back-to-back, within days or weeks of each other, then I guess Isaac would have to be in his 30's.

But couldn't there be a span of time between the two events that just isn't spelled out?

I'm not trying to argue with you...I'm just trying to get my own thoughts pinpointed.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Biblical facts need bible verses.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Isaac's age is irrelevant to this awesome story. It's powerful if he's 10 or 33.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Genesis
    22:5
    And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
    KJV

Strong's
    lad 05288

a boy, lad, servant, youth, retainer
    boy, lad, youth
    servant, retainer

other KJV translations
    young man 76, servant 54, child 44, lad 33, young 15, children 7, youth 6, babe 1, boys 1, young 1

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew/heb.cgi?number=05288&version=kjv

13. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

No way you can conclude with any certainty that there is no gap between Genesis 22 and 23.

14. standingfirminChrist

Not sure if this helps or not, but my Open Bible shows Isaac born circa 1892 BC, then the sacrifice event circa 1872 BC, making Isaac approximately 20 years old.

15. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Usher has a good chronology for the most part. Most Bible commentators I have read suggest between 16 and 20 for Isaacs age at the time. He had apparently seen enough sacrifices to understand that a ram was part of the process.

Interesting that although Abraham did not actually kill his son, both James and the writer of Hebrews say...

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

16. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Not really the fact that Isaac carried his own wood shows he wasn't 10, he had to be a strong man to carry enough wood a far distance for a human sacrifice. Christ too carried his own cross. A 10 year old could easily be forced to be put on the alter his father would just pick him up and force him there, but NO Isaac went willingly, just like Christ did to the cross. So age does matter if he truely is a picture of Christ which he is.

I will listen to the tape tomorrow this pastor is very deep and i have to listen carefully and do not feel like it right now.

By the way Donna there are verses. tell me Donna where are the verses that say Cain and Able had wives, bet you won't find the answer in Gen? guess you could google it

17. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Offered could suggest that his son was under his leadership and authority (not like our kids today) and he still lived with his father, so as a good obedient son he obeyed his father knowing that God had asked his father to this. Isaac too loved the Lord.

Just like Christ obeyed his heavenly father. there another type ;)

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Gen 4a
    17 And Cain knew his wife

the bible doesn't mention ABEL having a wife.
    We still haven't seen any verses from you.

19. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I told you i will listen to the tape tomorrow that is where the answers are. i am in no hurry to show anyone anything, that way everyone can do their own research. ABEL had a wife and so did their other children, the answers are found not in Gen but other books. I will let you search some more. the answer to Isaac may as well be in another book. I will know more tomorrow.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Humm, so you don't actually know any of this yourself, you got it from a tape.