1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just some humor on this Friday- NAS vs KJV - this is just for fun

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Captain, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Captain

Captain New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, I wanted to share something what I call funny. Well it at least it was to my parents and I. I was doing my study in Daniel and in Chapter 3 I was reading in verse 29, where in the NAS it describes the houses reduced to a rubbish heap. I was like whoa wait.... No dunghill?!! I then called my mom who is also starting to dabble in the NAS and she brought up verses in Samuel regarding the word "pisseth". I was like whoa, that is in there? So I looked it up and sure enough 1st Samuel 25 v 34 it says "pisseth" in the KJV, while in the NAS it uses the word "male". I then started to dabble in the root words and I think "male" is more appropriate.

Anyways, my mom and I spoke for awhile regarding this and we both agree, so far in my infant study of the NAS vs the KJV, the KJV is well more savage!! haha. Anyways have a good weekend everybody.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV is actually accurate here. However, there are two caveats that makes the NASB also correct.

1. The "pisseth against the wall" phrase is an idiom for male. Most translators (including me) would say it is okay to translate an idiom with a non-idiom, "male" in this case.

2. In linguistics there is a term which means a word that society rejects as not being fit for polite society: a "taboo word." So the question would be, is the KJV word a taboo word in modern American society?

Back to you--and whoever. :Cool

3. obadiahrobinson

obadiahrobinson New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, that pisseth me off the wall

4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And one "that raiseth his leg at a tree" is a dog?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, moving right along.... Confused

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the next tree? How about one "that sniffeth to the next tree" is a dog? :Wink

7. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, that was just for fun but...

Seriously, the idiom has been variously interpreted. And some have pointed out that "piss" was not vulgar but the English word used at the time, while "urinate" was rather new.

Some say the idiom refers to boys, not men, or to slaves/servants, or pejoratively to men as dogs. There's even suggestion that it is a reference to divination.

Preserving the idiom can be useful, but does not mean understanding is conveyed. From the contexts (six occurrences), it would seem that "every last male" is indicated, with quite a negative connotation.

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not much is taboo in modern American society.

• Like Like x 1