1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just thinking out loud - gun control/internet control

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by annsni, Dec 3, 2015.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

With this latest shooting in California (which is horrific), I see a lot of people on Facebook screaming about how we need more gun control. I see the New York Daily News saying that the Republicans are doing nothing but praying when the Dems want to do something. It's all about the guns.

But now it has just come out that these shooters have been watching ISIS propaganda videos and they are devout Muslims. Would these same people who are all about gun control also be willing to limit the internet and the availability of what we can see online? Would they be willing to allow censoring of the internet in order to protect people? Just maybe these men and woman wouldn't have gone to kill people had it not been for the ideology they learned from these videos. What do you think?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good questions. Leads to the "slippery slope" question about freedom of speech. Are we talking about the same people that want to repeal the 1st Amendment because they don't think *all* speech should be free?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know. I'm talking about the people who are all over gun control with these shootings and are angry at those who don't believe gun control is the answer here. I just was thinking out loud with hubby before when I read about the ISIS videos and wondered if people would feel the same way about "control" with the internet.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama is a liar. It's not about "gun control". It's about people control. If it was about gun control, his administration would be more interested in prosecuting gun violations. They're not.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...c-gun-prosecutions-plummet-under-ob/?page=all

Obama talks tough about gun control, but prosecutions plummet on his watch

Federal prosecutors brought a total of 5,082 gun violation cases in 2013 recommended by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, compared with 6,791 during the last year of George W. Bush’s presidency in 2008, according to data obtained from the Executive Office of U.S. Attorneys.

The 2013 totals represent a 42 percent decline from the record number of 8,752 prosecutions of ATF cases brought by the Justice Department in 2004 under Mr. Bush, according to the data.

snip

U.S. attorneys have been slowing gun prosecutions even further, with 2,598 brought in the first seven months of this fiscal year. The pace of activity puts the Justice Department on track to prosecute the fewest ATF cases since 2000, well before the drug gang wars in Mexico sharply increased violence on both sides of the border.

Instead the focus is on keeping law abiding citizens fronm being armed.

"Federal prosecutors, current and former ATF agents and gun law researchers told The Times that the downward trend in ATF-related prosecutions primarily reflects a Justice Department shift away from tracking down one-off violent offenders and toward prosecuting more complicated regulatory-type cases, which take longer to develop.

“Within the later part of the Bush years, case selections within the ATF have gone from mostly violent crime cases — which is their forte — toward the regulatory, where they look at dealers, manufacturers and trafficking cases,” said Robert Sanders, a former ATF assistant director. “The agency’s philosophy has shifted to guns are the problem and access to guns are the problem, rather than the criminal being the direct indicator of crime.”