1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just to clarify misunderstanding...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Daughter of the King, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Daughter of the King

Dear Ladies:

I am sorry that my previous thread got misunderstood. My friend was say that the "dressing like a man" (I am NOT saying anything about a specific garment) was an indiomatic expression to express/say lesbian. It is not that one who wears anything specific is a lesbian. My friend was saying that the expression was like a code expression for saying lesbian. So that bit of Deuteronomy was addressing sodomites are an abomination and not how we dress. Does that make sense now?

God bless,

Princess

2. Daughter of the King

Dear Ladies:

An idiom is where the phrase means one thing that is not the same meaning when we translate word for word.

Our LORD was NOT addressing modest dress but sodomites as a group. It was like a covert expression for indicating that group.

In this case, "Dressing like a man" was code for "lesbian" and would have been understood as direct reference to lesbians to Hebrews. There is nothing about needing to take that to then apply to a particular garment or not if that is a correct understanding of that phrase/expression. In essence, that piece of Deuteronmy could be translated to "Lesbians are an abomination. Sodomites are an abomination." I may be using too many words here to overexplain, but since my previous post was misunderstood in my brevity, I thought it wiser to verge into overexplaining than to risk being misunderstood in such a manner again.

God bless,

Princess

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I think the post from Elnora's friend refuted that very well. Did you get a chance to read what her Messianic Jewish friend wrote?

Diane

4. Daughter of the King

Her friend may be correct, but it seemed in the previous thread that some of the ladies thought I was accusing them of being lesbians for wearing pants and that was not the case. The thread got closed before I could correct the misunderstanding, and I thought the correction of what I was expressing needed to happen so you would know I was NOT saying such pants-wearing women are lesbians.

Whether the idiomatic translation is correct or not is another whole puppy.

God bless,

Princess

5. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Princess I am sorry you chose to post before I could try to get a thread going in the proper manner. Please learn patience is a virtue. I do understand that you are trying to clarify your previous post. You have plenty of time to learn, God is not in a rush. Here is what you posted that gave that that impression. I will highlight in bold for you.

I and others can show you that Idiom or not, dogs in this context means Gentiles. You have received false information. But you must give people time to get the information for you. Maybe take time to word your posts in a clear manner because even if you didn't mean it, it certainly sounded that way, considering the previously posted threads on this subject.

We as "brethren" are to love one another and I believe we can show that love so we are shining examples to the world. My thoughts are wandering to lots of scriptures and I am so far behind after today. To all, forgive me for my faults and I will continue to try to help and be helped as the Lord gives us grace. I will work as I can to help us all grow in Christ our Lord.

6. Daughter of the King

I'm doing a study on Spiritual Warfare with loads of cross-referencing to Revelation. In another related thread which was closed due to a misunderstanding I had said:

And someone told me that my saying that was proof of my being a novice with studying the bible. I make no claims to superlatives for my studies, but I did come across my source for that statement and wanted to share it here.

It is in Thayer's Lexicon of Greek
    http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/1061013088-6402.html

I am not saying this is even necessarily a correct understanding of the metaphor. I am not a Greek scholar and surely could not say. But I do always find it fruitful to examine and examine scripture and to do word studies before drawing conclusions.

God bless!

Princess