1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just what are you?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I wisheth not to arminianeth anyone. :)

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here IMO is the essence of the problem of this on going debate C vs. A.

Our God who is eternal and without beginning or end has entered into the time continuum which He created with both a beginning and an end.

NKJV Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.​

Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.​

HankD​

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, Loraine Boettner disagreed with you.

Source

http://www.bloomingtonrpchurch.org/refdocpre/

So who is ignorant, me or you?

#83 Winman, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

From the very document you cite:

Saying that the Reformed doctrines are only Calvin's (or even were formulated by Calvin) is to misrepresent history.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I never said that, I said Calvin had influences, especially Augustine.

It was Boettner who said Calvin was the one who truly put this system together.

It was one of you Cals that said Calvin has nothing to do with Calvinism. That is ridiculous, why would they name the doctrine after him?

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't agree with this.

I don't agree with this.

Getting closer.

Getting even closer.

This I agree with, with one exception. Those who are saved cannot be lost, they are kept by the Holy Spirit.

I don't agree.

I don't agree.

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

What happened to human will? :)

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I'ts like the bond-slave during the time of Moses who chose to stay with their master, the Lord Jesus Christ. Once saved, we have had our ears pierced with a sharp awl.

Exo 21:6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We gave it to God when we received Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

That's what a bond slave does.

#89 Amy.G, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I can't give you Eph 1, because of many reasons. However, You do give a good answer over all. You also give a supporting verse.

Let me ask you this. How does this relate to Gomer? Gomer is clearly the picture of salvation. She is also a slave.

What do you think?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or as Tom Vols earlier pointed out in 2 Timothy 2:23-24 (New International Version)

23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only that, but when you try to break up a fight you might end up with a blackeye yourself.

HankD

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Be all that as it may I see C-A being a worthwhile discussion. I was very anti-Cal (with no real reason to be except that was what was drilled into me previously) and unfocused as far as my theology was concerned before I began to study the issues for myself after being challenged on this very board.

The problem starts when we begin to question the salvation of others and call them heretics- no need for that, in most cases. Occasionally a real heretic does show up but they don't last long in these parts.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So after observing this contentious argument & realizing that it doesn't resolve anything, I'm content NOT to participate....black eyes hurt too much. As Shakespeare I believe once quoted, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Our danger then is to become so involved in proving one side or the other that we forget that the opponent is a Christian brother.

"Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right" Genesis 18:25 :godisgood:

Blessings
    Steve

15. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I was predestined to believe in free-will.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where is human will in trying to undo a murder done of one's free will?

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, and for that reason, I don't particpate that often, only occassionally to give the MugWump point(s) of view.

HankD

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

ok....i have no idea what you just said, but i'll answer 7.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to your logic, if you can choose to do something you can equally choose to undo it or no longer do it.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Not really. Like in the fall of man, man does not have a will to right himself. So I know what happened to the will, it is bound.

I asked a free-will believer, ...you know......one that believes man's will is still intact, .......I asked that guy what happened to mans will, after they had said that "man cannot just leave God because I believe they said..."because the believer is sealed"".

Now I agree that God seals, because I believe God is in control of salvation from start to the end, and it is him that makes the choice before and after. So I know what happens to the will.

The free-will has man with free-will intact....what happens to the will? How does it go from free to..sealed without God doing something that compromise mans will, if he should will to leave?

Now a Bond Slave WANTS to be a slave. and there is more to it than just this, which we will get to later. But I'm asking if a slave WANTS to leave...that is his desire....Will God compromise mans will?

If yes...than God does indeed do this.

If no...than how does it work?

Is it that God only has the right to do such things after man says it is ok?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.