1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justice will be served but not soon enough.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Oh good heavens :rolleyes: If we judge someone before the trial they say wait until he is judged by a jury of his peers. Well he was and some bleeding heart still refuses to believe it. For that matter we dont know for sure if Adolph Hitler is guilty. Free Charlie Manson! After all he didnt kill anyone!

2. Lori

Lori New Member

Okey here's my lil bit on this post.

1)Whatever happened to "you get 1 and 1 appeal only." - If someone louses it up for ya, well sorry you shoulda picked better. Doesn't do any good to sentence the dp if you're gonna get 20 gazillion appeals.

2)No thank-you I would not like to watch criminals be publically(sp?) executed. - I used to think so, but now I'm thinking, wow watch the tv stations fight for ratings rights over that. And you think tv is violent and bad now. People w/no morals at all would just loove to watch that. It's called bloodlust.

3)I hope Peterson get's saved, but that justice will be served.

4)I'm tired of hearing about it. What's done is done, hopefully decent legislation will result. I really don't care to know if he had a hamburger for his last meal or what he wore "was stylin' in". - This is called over-reporting a/k/a beating a dead horse.

5)Why are so many Christians talking about it *still*? - This is called gossip. How does knowing his facial expression, seeing how others react to him, help me serve/glorify the Lord?

Just some stuff to think about.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

When was there a "1 appear and 1 appeal only" rule? Likewise, there's never been a "20 gazillion appeals" case either. Everyone complains about the appeals process, until they find themselves being a defendant.

I've made that same comment before, and gotten scoffed at. I'm glad I'm not the only one who shares that opinion, though.

4. Lori

Lori New Member

The only thing I can think of about the 1 only appeal thingy is that I thought a long time ago *before the lawyers got really sneaky* you were sentenced and there didnt' seem to be lots of repeals/appeals? Correct terminology for me? Sorry long day. =o)

I guess I think maybe they should go to 1 appeal only because it seems like you can throw a case out over anything these days. I do understand how they wanna save their necks and all, but if DNA evidence is found and shown during the trial,showing you're guilty why should you get to appeal just because your lawyer was a numbskull?

Just as a matter of personal opinion I've started staying away from the threads w/people's names on them...including ones about bad ministers/preachers/evangilists because again it's just gossip so it doesn't interest me.

Glad to know also that I'm not alone in not being interested in gossip.

Here in America we pay too much attention and call gossip "news". I don't care what stars are doing to their autos, what house their buying, or who they're marrying/div. What about finding good news to write about? It sure would be nice to start up a netzine (not just a blog w/personal opinions and/or bias). I guess I'll just have to wait for my writing gene to kick in. :D

azwyld
    <*}}}><

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Probably a matter of preception. Since the writing of the Constitution (which establishes the Court System), every citizen has had the right to appeal, regardless of the level of the initial case. Theoretically, if you lose a traffic case, you have the right to appeal, and if you lose that appeal, you can appeal to a higher court, until you get to the Supreme Court. Most people don't make use of it, and sometimes, people should. Some of the most landmark Supreme Court cases were cases that started out in the local and lowly municipal court level.

6. Lori

Lori New Member

So if there were say 5 courts to go to from baby court to the supreme then you'd be able to use all 5 until you got the decision from the supreme?

Preception again, but I guess if someone committed murder and was convicted in the 1st court, they could hold things up for a really long time and practically not have to serve their sentence? But like you said sometimes people should use their appeals. I agree with that barring that it's a super important reason and not just something to save your neck when you know you're guilty and don't want to have to pay for what you've done. Thanks for the info.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Appeals are mandatory for death sentence cases.

Also, appeals are usually not about whether someone is innocent or guilty but deal with trial issues. Many people appeal on the grounds of ineffective assistance of counsel (usually this was not the case but it's a basis for appeal) or some error in the trial by the judge or by the prosecutor.

This is a system set up to be sure that a fair trial was given and to protect the innocent. So we should not complain about it, though I agree appeals can go on too long. But I think that is often because the courts are overcrowded.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Lori said; "2)No thank-you I would not like to watch criminals be publically(sp?) executed. - I used to think so, but now I'm thinking, wow watch the tv stations fight for ratings rights over that. And you think tv is violent and bad now. People w/no morals at all would just loove to watch that. It's called bloodlust."
    -------------------------------------------------
    I think her comment was in reply to my post, but she mis-read me.

Jim said, "They should be given the services of a pastor during those thirty days if they wish and then stretch their necks. And do it semi-publically, in the yard of the prison with all other inmates present."
    --------------------------------------------------

I do not discount the appeals process. It is totally abused however. My comment was applicable to the justly convicted killers.
    I hope that would clarify my position. I am not compassionless. My compassion extends to the victims and their families first and foremost. Then after the families and victims rights for justice are satisfied, then the compassion for the soul of the killer is considered. He gets 30 days to talk to a pastor all he wants. Then, semi-publically, in the prison yard, with ALL inmates present, stretch his neck.
    Blood lust? Or justice with mercy? You decide. After all, this is America, home of the free, the brave and the terrorized.

BTW; the courts would not be so overcrowded if justice were meted out better.
    In His service;
    Jim

9. Soulman

Soulman New Member

The man has been judged in a court of law. Pray that he can find repentance.

As Christians we need to occupy ourselves with the living! Let the law work and lets' move on.

10. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

The man has been judged in a court of law. Pray that he can find repentance.
    .........and find it real soon! Take away the money and you would see justice being done real quick!

11. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Shiloh: Take away the money and you would see justice being done real quick!

You are right. Unfortunately the system is bogged down. However it does work. Just too slowly.