1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justification by the Faithfulness of Christ Alone?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by aefting, Jul 1, 2003.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

On another forum, an issue was made of the phrase "faith in Christ." The claim was that versions that translate verses such as Romans 3:22 with "through faith in Jesus Christ" rather than "through the faith of Jesus Christ" are corrupting the doctrine of justification by faith.

So, are we justified by faith in Jesus Christ alone or are we justified by the faith of Jesus Christ alone?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Since Christ is God, what would his faith be in?? There is no dispute that his fiathfulness to his mission provided the atonement. Yet at the same time, there can be no doubt that faith on our part is required for salvation (Rom 10:10-17; et al).

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the small modicum of faith I have is a "gift of God". It is ALL "His" faith, which He graciously gives to His own. :cool:

4. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Grammatically, KJ is accurate in such passages as Gal. 2:16, 20, etc. -"by the faith of Jesus Christ." It is His faithfulness that makes our faith possible. Also, when the definite article is used, it is almost always "the body of doctrine" rather than a personal exercise of faith.

5. Sola-Scriptura

Sola-Scriptura New Member

I agree Dr. Bob! No matter how you translate it, He is the Author and finisher of our faith. [​IMG] I do not believe in careless translation, but this looks like another KJV jab trying to convince the weak that their versions deny even the essentials of scripture.

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since HE IS... The Author and the Finisher of our Faith... The Alpha and the Omega!... His Faith becomes Our Faith... Because without HIM... We Have... NO FAITH!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

7. Xenos

Xenos New Member

The term "faith of Jesus Christ" indicates it comes or proceeds from him. Very well meaning that we cannot produce justifying faith within ourselves. It must be granted by Jesus.

The term "faith in Jesus Christ" is not found in the Bible.

McDaris Message Center

8. BrianT

BrianT New Member

See Acts 24:24, Gal 3:26, Eph 1:15, Col 1:4, Col 2:5, and 1 Tim 3:13.

Also, Mark 11:22 has "faith in God".

9. Me2

Me2 New Member

something to think about.

faith is a response to a fact, an agreement, a truth. it can be carnal in nature, or it can be spritual.

my carnal mind can believe. yet I have a parameter or truths that I am constricted by.

such as, I can not raise myself from the dead by my faith in self.
    not one human being has

yet the Faith OF GOD has allowed me to accept truths that are outside of my control.

THE FAITH OF GOD is a gift of God. it is a gift that is present in the sinless spirit of Christ.

it is not mine, yet God gives me this spirit..
    Hhhmmm. if I accept the truths of God as he communicates to His christ's spirit within me by faith. (my new spirit) does it become my faith ?.

Yes...I can and do have faith in God.
    (by my new spirt)
    or I have faith, in the faith of God.
    (by my new spirit)
    or the spirit of Jesus Christ within me, has faith in the faith of God...my new spirit

yet it is God's Faith.
    yet we are of one faith.

Me2