1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Justified By Works

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Jun 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" - James 2:14-26

This is from the Word of Almighty God, where we read very clearly, that both Abraham and Rahab were JUSTIFIED by their WORKS. This is EXACTLY what Peter says in Acts chapter 10! Both FAITH and WORKS are referred to as two equal parts for Justification with the Lord.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and thus you agree with the Roman Catholic church and the council of Trent...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 4:2 For if Abraham was justified on the basis works, he has something to boast about; but not before God

Rom 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, since otherwise grace is no longer grace

Gal 3:5
    Does God then give you the Spirit and work miracles among you by your doing the works of the law or by your believing what you heard?

2Ti 1:9
    He is the one who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not based on our works but on his own purpose and grace, granted to us in Christ Jesus before time began,

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    yeah, I know all of that, and believe all of that. But HOW to you answer what James, not myself, is saying?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    James is agreeing with Paul.
    The God given gift of faith will do the works God has ordained for his children to do (Ephesians 2:8-10).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham was justified by his works Genesis 22:12 years after he was justified without works, Genesis 15:6.

Genesis 15:6, ". . . And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. . . ."
    Romans 4:2-5, ". . . For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. . . ."
    Now years latter, James 2:21, ". . . Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? . . ."
    Genesis 22:12, ". . . And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me. . . ."

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “We are saved by faith alone, but the faith that saves is never alone" - Martin Luther

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does this reply to the passage from James

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you not see the connection?

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    James uses the word “justified” in the sense of validation. Your faith is validated by the works you do. That is the meaning in context in the letter of James.

Hope that helps you.

peace to you

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    . If you read some decent commentaries on James, you will see that this is not the way Justified is meant. You are viewing all of these passages from your theology rather than what the Bible actually says

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this with this clarification, both saving faith and justifying works are ultimately from God, not man.

18 For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me, but to do that which is good is not. Ro 7

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don’t you quote one of the “decent” commentaries so I can see for myself the way justified is meant.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam Clarke

For as the body without the spirit is dead - There can be no more a genuine faith without good works, than there can be a living human body without a soul. We shall never find a series of disinterested godly living without true faith. And we shall never find true faith without such a life. We may see works of apparent benevolence without faith; their principle is ostentation; and, as long as they can have the reward (human applause) which they seek, they may be continued. And yet the experience of all mankind shows how short-lived such works are; they want both principle and spring; they endure for a time, but soon wither away. Where true faith is, there is God; his Spirit gives life, and his love affords motives to righteous actions. The use of any Divine principle leads to its increase. The more a man exercises faith in Christ, the more he is enabled to believe; the more he believes, the more he receives; and the more he receives, the more able he is to work for God. Obedience is his delight, because love to God and man is the element in which his soul lives. Reader, thou professest to believe; show thy faith, both to God and man, by a life conformed to the royal law, which ever gives liberty and confers dignity "Some persons, known to St. James, must have taught that men are justified by merely believing in the one true God; or he would not have taken such pains to confute it. Crediting the unity of the Godhead, and the doctrine of a future state, was that faith through which both the Jews in St. James' time and the Mohammedans of the present day expect justification. St. James, in denying this faith to be of avail, if unaccompanied with good works, has said nothing more than what St. Paul has said, in other words, Romans 2, where he combats the same Jewish error, and asserts that not the hearers but the doers of the law will be justified, and that a knowledge of God's will, without the performance of it, serves only to increase our condemnation" - Michaelis.

Seest thou how faith wrought - Here is a proof that faith cannot exist without being active in works of righteousness. His faith in God would have been of no avail to him, had it not been manifested by works; for by works - by his obedience to the commands of God, his faith was made perfect - it dictated obedience, he obeyed; and thus faith ετελειωθη, had its consummation. Even true faith will soon die, if its possessor do not live in the spirit of obedience.

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jonah 3

5 Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the least of them. 6 When the word reached the king of Nineveh, he got up from his throne, removed his robe from himself, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat on the dust. 7 And he issued a proclamation, and it said, “In Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles: No person, animal, herd, or flock is to taste anything. They are not to eat, or drink water. 8 But every person and animal must be covered with sackcloth; and people are to call on God vehemently, and they are to turn, each one from his evil way, and from the violence which is in their hands. 9 Who knows, God may turn and relent, and turn from His burning anger so that we will not perish.” 10 When God saw their deeds (KJV, WORKS), that they turned from their evil way, then God relented of the disaster which He had declared He would bring on them. So He did not do it.

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are viewing these passages from your Roman Catholic, justification by faith plus works, theology.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you realize that Clarke is actually endorsing Reformed theology in his commentary and not supporting your position? How is it that you think Clarke is advocating for your Roman Catholic theology?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    This passage has nothing to do with eternal redemption and everything to do with temporal withholding of judgment. 100 years later, Nineveh was destroyed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clarke is repeating my position (or I’m repeating his), and you didn’t even realize it.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.