1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JWs come calling on Sunday!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These outfits spend a lot of time on the trail, so to speak, spreading their message, handing out information, and visiting with homes in different neighborhoods. For the most part these people are very polite, very friendly, very articulate, knowledgable, and know their doctrine somewhat well. They have a very organized system of visitation, witnessing, fellowship, study, meditation, and education, even though what they read, study, etc. is against what I believe to be the truth.

Those of you who blast these people because of their beliefs, how many of you have fellowship with your church family away from church? How many of you keep a journal of your visitations and how many of you can show by either a paper journal, or from recall how many people you have visited in their homes and brought the gospel to them, or at least asked them about their family, asked if there was anything you could do to assist them?

Seems everyone has a "bad" story about JW's or Mormons. Seems everyone is ready to fight to the death when the conversations come up about them, quick to insult them, quick to lash out against them, and find as much deragatory things to say about them as they can.

I have a friend that I work with, a dear friend. We see things differently where are faith is concerned, and we have at length discussions when time permits and talk about our differning views. He is a member of JW, and he has a very strict "regime" (for lack of a better word) of study and learning that would make many people who profess to be christian embarrassed if they were to put up their study, prayer, etc. to his.

Yes I think he's been misled, and yes I pray for him, and yes we have at times, some almost heated discussions about our doctrine, but we do so out of respect for each other as persons, as friends.

I might add that he was raised in a Baptist home, and what led him away from and towards the JW study was the pious nature that he saw in the church he went to growing up, the unloving attitudes from people who he only saw a couple times each week, and only at the church they went to.

Just wanted to throw in a small suggestion, that not everyone who is involved in JW or mormonism is evil...just misled, and misinformed. Perhaps we as christians could reach out to those who are lost and show them the love that God has for them, the truths that God has for them, and spend a little less time berating them.

Just a thought.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina:

No, I don't call'em any names; I feel sorry for those everyday lay people who are involved in the JFW cult. But I don't hesitate to "read the Riot Act" to their "elders" or to the Watchtower staff, the ones who keep this evil going. But I DO NOT COMPROMISE one quark with ANY known cult, PERIOD!

Sorry if I sound harsh, but a big-time prob with many of today's Christians is being too namby-pamby with forms of evil. The JFW cult is EVIL, and I'm not gonna compromise my stand against it whatsoever.

The JFW is the most insidious of the cults that "have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof". All Christians should "do their bit" to attack this cult and its leadership.

Gina, I've read too many of your posts to believe you're a marshmallow Christian. There's nothing about the JFW cult for a Christian to defend. The true idiots are those leaders who deliberately spread their poison, whether their motive is money, a power trip, or that they actually BELIEVE their garbage.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Woodymdt, I hope you don't give them any idea that they might think they're right!

I am part of a door-to-door ministry, and because of the JFW and LSD "missionaries", more than one household sees us in the same light. It takes time, work, and the HOLY SPIRIT'S guidance to convince some people that we are NOT representing any cult nor seeking one penny. Shoot, we don't even campaign for our church nor the Baptist faith; we campaign for CHRIST.

Whatever we do, we must NOT cause anyone to believe the JFW or any other cult is right whatsoever. Having a good working knowledge of these cults' doctrines will help one to develop counter-doctrines FROM THE BIBLE to prove them wrong when you witness with the TRUE Gospel.

4. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as the JW's continue to let their children die when a simple medical procedure would save them, I will continue to insult, lash out and degrade. 'Nuff said.

5. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I was in church Sunday morning. The JWs came to our door in the afternoon.

I do use this as opportunity to witness to the JWs as well as Mormons. Most of them become uneasy and say they have to leave. Last summer a JW came up to me as I was working in the yard, we were talking about God and the Bible, he actually stayed for about 5 or 10 minutes.

6. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem there. My friend knows where I stand, and if God puts on his heart the thoughts to look further into the truth, I hope that he does.

7. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess if you feel compelled to do that, it is well within your rights as a person to do so. As for me, I will continue to pray for them that they will at some point realize the path their being led down is wrong, and that they will at some point come to know Christ as their savior.
    But I won't be hateful or mean to them. That would seem to damage any possibilities of planting seeds in their hearts for God to work with.

I found this on another site that I gain insight from. I think it's fitting in many ways.
    Question: "What is the best way to evangelize someone who is in a cult or false religion?"

Answer: The most important thing we can do for those involved in cults or false religion is pray for them. We need to pray that God would change their hearts and open their eyes (2Cor 4:4). We need to pray that God would convince them of their need for salvation through Jesus Christ (John 3:16). Without the power of God and conviction of the Holy Spirit, we can never succeed in convincing anyone of the truth (John 16:7-11).

We also need to be living a godly Christian life in front of them, so they can see the change God has made in your own life (1Peter 3:1-2). We need to pray for wisdom in how we can minister to them in a powerful way (James 1:5). After all of this, we must be willing and bold in our actual sharing of the Gospel. We must proclaim the message of salvation through Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9-10). We always need to be prepared to defend our faith (1Peter 3:15), but we must do so with gentleness and respect. I had an encounter with a few cult members once and a friend who was with me proclaimed the truth, but he did not do so with gentleness or respect. In fact, the cultists were far more "Christ-like" in their attitude and demeanor than my friend was.

Ultimately, we must leave the salvation of those to whom we witness up to God. It is God's power and grace that saves people, not our efforts. The best and most we can do is pray for them, witness to them, and live the Christian life in front of them!

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why I make them promise to give me about 15 minutes before I will listen to their speil. If they agree(they usually do) I'll offer them a seat, snack, and/or something to drink, water, gatorade, or Kool-Ade, remembering they won't drink caffeine. If they wanna leave early, I remind'em of their promise, and that keeps'em there. If they grow uncomfortable, FINE. They're gonna have something to think about on their way to the next home, or to their own if their day's work is done.

9. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing wrong with that Roby.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Actually, you already did call them names, en masse. This is a forum read by thousands. I'm guessing the majority of the readers are not in leadership positions. What do you think just happened to the witness of Christians in regards to every Jehovah's Witness and LDS member who read when you said
    And when you said
    What happens the next time one of these people who read these insulting words from you, (backed up by another poster, perhaps tons more on other "Christian" message boards,) steps up on a doorstep and find out that the homeowners are Christians?
    Those words and the thought process behind them are destructive to the cause of Christ, to the body of Christians as a witness to the world.

Please refrain from doing so in the future, and also be honest with whoever comes to your door.
    Now, why would you not tell them what you're going to do?
    Be straight forward. They're humans and have the right to make the choice on whether or not they want to deal with you. I love the equal time thing and use that myself, but why not make it perfectly clear that you are a Christian and that you will showing them why you believe that what they are presenting me with is false?

Name-calling and getting them to come back under unknown/presumably false pretenses doesn't fit in with the Christian witness. Doing these things does not at all make someone a non-marshmallow Christian.

I am pleading with you to please not do these things.

Strength, honesty, and proclaiming the gospel are good. Insults to intelligence and misleading people to get them to hear the gospel are bad.