1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JWs & NIV Agree : Verses missing from the NIV

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Surfer5, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Surfer5

Surfer5 New Member

Yes, you are right. On some occasions I am inconsistent. But this is not one of those occasions. I do appreciate the chance to clarify my earlier statement.

What I should have said about the NASB translators is that the views of Westcott & Hort were the most relevant FIRST. This is presuming that the NASB is derived from the W&H. (Give me 24 hrs on that one).

Then, if nothing could be found about W & H, then we can move on to testing and evaluating the NASB translators. But since there is information about
    W & H, then it would be a potential exercise in futility to demonstrate that on top of the bad work of W & H, that the NASB translators may have theological issues of their own.

But you are right. That is worth taking a more detailed look at.

If the NASB does come from the NA, then W & H were one of the two principal sources used for the NA. So the text upon which the NASB would be based [or is based] would be a problem

-------

By the way, if you use the NASB, do you know who the actual translators of the NASB were ?

[​IMG]

2. Surfer5

Surfer5 New Member

We can confirm the statement being false,by negating the statement as a test...

So, was the NASB completed without any reliance on the Westcott/Hort Text ?

IF that question cannot be answered in the negative, then the alternative answer remains:

The NASB could not have been completed without the W/H text, because this is not what happened.

[​IMG]

3. Surfer5

Surfer5 New Member

In the first place, I am not sure that you are right. But in the second, I am troubled by the fact that I cannot give you an instant answer on this. So I will use what you have shared as the basis for me to look into this matter.

[​IMG]
    :confused:

4. Surfer5

Surfer5 New Member

I think that one would have to take side by side
    1. the Textus Receptus, and

2. THe W & H Greek Text

IF a person were to do that side-by-side comparison, I think those changes would show up much faster...

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The NIV says "the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ". This is pretty clear English, I'm sorry you have trouble with it.

7. Askjo

Askjo New Member

James is not a scholar because a man confronted him and asked him some questions, but James is not able to answer these questions. James White is incorrect to deal against the KJV.

Go to the website here:
    The Greek New Testament

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The NIV says "the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ". This is pretty clear English, I'm sorry you have trouble with it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Incorrect! "our" God AND Saviour" refer to 2 personalities.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

How did I know that somehow Ruckman would be mentioned at this link????
    :rolleyes:

10. BrianT

BrianT New Member

No, it refers to two roles, two descriptions of the same person. When the KJV says "Lord AND Saviour Jesus Christ" (2 Pet 1:11, 2 Pet 2:20, 2 Pet 3:18) , do you believe it is talking about two gods? A little consistency would be nice. [​IMG]

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

How did I know that somehow Ruckman would be mentioned at this link????
    :rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am not here to defend Ruckman, but I agree with Ruckman concerning the word, "gnostics."

Look at James' quotation here:

James is absolutely incorrect because history disagrees with him. As you read Robert's answer to James concerning the gnosticism, I have another scholar who refuted James White on the website here:

The History of the Controversy

12. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

James is not a scholar because a man confronted him and asked him some questions, but James is not able to answer these questions. James White is incorrect to deal against the KJV.

Go to the website here:
    The Greek New Testament [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Identity as a scholar is totally irrelevant. Anyone in middle school could compile the same table using a couple of good concordances and a KJV-NIV-NASB parallel NT.

I forget the exact details, but in something like a dozen example verses, the KJV was ambiguous about the deity of Christ a couple times, significantly stronger on it a couple times, and significantly weaker on it like 8 times, when compared to the NASB and NIV.

13. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</font>[/QUOTE]Incorrect! "our" God AND Saviour" refer to 2 personalities.
    </font>[/QUOTE]As I indicated earlier, the KJV error in this matter comes from its translators' ignorance of a grammatical point that has come to be known as Granville Sharp's Rule.

I'm going on memory here, but if I have it right, when in Greek a noun having a definite article and a possessive pronoun is linked to a noun having no article by a conjunction such as 'kai' (and), the possessive pronoun refers fully to both linked nouns. So "the God of us and Savior Jesus Christ" is best translated into English as "our God and Savior Jesus Christ."

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Askjo said:

NIV said "Our..God AND saviour." This verse in the NIV means 2 Gods.

Oh, wow. Just when you thought the KJV-onlyists couldn't make even more absurd claims for the modern versions, now they're trying to tell us that the NIV affirms that Jesus is two gods.

Only a KJV-onlyist could torture plain English this far. No one else could tolerate the screams.

You gotta laugh.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

3,036 according to Hoskier. </font>[/QUOTE]To paraphrase Hoskier's own words, "it is high time that the bubble of Hoskier's 3,000+ disagreements between Vaticanus and Sinaiticus should be pricked." [​IMG]

First of all, it needs to be noted that *all* Greek MSS disagree with each other. Compare any two Greek copies and you will find that they disagree in hundreds if not thousands of places.

Secondly, a closer examination of Hoskier's data reveals that a high number of the the so-called "real differences" are not significant at all. For example, Hoskier notes twelve disagreements between the two MSS in the first ten verses of Mark chapter 1. However, on closer inspection seven of those twelve disagreements are questionable. One is a redundant pronoun, two are redundant prepositions in dative expressions, and four involve the conjunction και with no significant change in meaning. Hoskier overstates his case.

Thirdly, even if there *were* over 3,000 significant disagreements (and there are not), it would mean nothing since it is the AGREEMENTS between them which are important for establishing the original text. When two MSS share a high proportion of agreements, the only plausible explanation is that both are descended from an earlier common archetype. So agreements in two 4th C. MSS like Vaticanus and Sinaiticus bear witness to an even earlier form of the text. The early existence of that text has since been confirmed by the discovery of P75 (c. 200 A.D.), which now moves that form of the text into the late 2nd C.

16. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

James is absolutely incorrect because history disagrees with him. As you read Robert's answer to James concerning the gnosticism, I have another scholar who refuted James White on the website here:

The History of the Controversy
    </font>[/QUOTE]I read the article, and note that *nowhere* does he actually *prove* that specific differences in specific MSS were introduced by specific heretics. His argument is completely circumstantial: "Gnostic heretics were active in certain regions; certain readings found in certain MSS could be interpreted to support Gnostic teachings; therefore, the Gnostic heretics must have introduced those readings into these MSS." Try that argument in court sometime and see how far you get: "Your Honour, the insurance company claims my Rolex couldn't have been stolen because I never owned a Rolex to begin with. That's simply not true, Your Honour, and I'll prove it with this irrefutable argument: I have no Rolex, and we all know there were thieves burglarizing my neighbourhood at the time; therefore thieves stole my Rolex." [​IMG]

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    P66 (also 200AD) and other papyri support the Byzantine text type.

http://members.aol.com/DrTHolland/Chapter10.html

HankD

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't claim to know all of their personal biographies but here is a list of their names:

http://www.gospelcom.net/lockman/nasb/nasbtrans.php

And here is the doctrinal statement they all agree to:

http://www.gospelcom.net/lockman/tlf/tlfabout.php

"By the way, if you use the KJV, do you know who the actual translators of the KJV were?"... or more importantly, who they were not and never claimed to be?

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Every bit as much as the KJV was completed without reliance on the late RCC Latin Vulgate.

The real answer comes from the fact that the modern CT (critical texts) do not rely on a single mss or even family of mss. As you know they evaluate data and provide alternatives with grades corresponding to the evidence that supports them. It is true that textual criticism gives more weight to older mss. This is a perfectly legitimate approach. The more generations a hand copied document is from the original, the more likely it is to contain some errors.

20. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

3,036 according to Hoskier. </font>[/QUOTE]To paraphrase Hoskier's own words, "it is high time that the bubble of Hoskier's 3,000+ disagreements between Vaticanus and Sinaiticus should be pricked." [​IMG]

First of all, it needs to be noted that *all* Greek MSS disagree with each other. Compare any two Greek copies and you will find that they disagree in hundreds if not thousands of places.

Secondly, a closer examination of Hoskier's data reveals that a high number of the the so-called "real differences" are not significant at all. For example, Hoskier notes twelve disagreements between the two MSS in the first ten verses of Mark chapter 1. However, on closer inspection seven of those twelve disagreements are questionable. One is a redundant pronoun, two are redundant prepositions in dative expressions, and four involve the conjunction και with no significant change in meaning. Hoskier overstates his case.

Thirdly, even if there *were* over 3,000 significant disagreements (and there are not), it would mean nothing since it is the AGREEMENTS between them which are important for establishing the original text. When two MSS share a high proportion of agreements, the only plausible explanation is that both are descended from an earlier common archetype. So agreements in two 4th C. MSS like Vaticanus and Sinaiticus bear witness to an even earlier form of the text. The early existence of that text has since been confirmed by the discovery of P75 (c. 200 A.D.), which now moves that form of the text into the late 2nd C.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not sure whether it is the same manuscript, but the book Eyewitness To Jesus presents a compelling argument that a gospel fragment dates to within Paul's lifetime.