1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Katie's computer woes

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by dianetavegia, May 14, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Kate mentioned in another post that her cursor is gone or moves slowly, her scroll is very slow and her keyboard not responding correctly.

Any idea what might be going on or what she should do? She can't see to type because what she had typed isn't showing on the screen at the same rate her fingers strike the keys.

She had been typing onto MS Word but isn't always able to even open that today. She has Windows 98.

Diane

2. JourneytoEndure

JourneytoEndure New Member

Hi, Just a suggestion.

Does she have a wireless Keyboard and mouse or is it one of those finger mousepad keyboards OR.....the regular rolling mouse.

Does she have a good amount of memory in her computer or is it really low?

If it is a standard mouse, I would open the bottom (Where the ball is) and take out the ball. There should be little medal/plastic peices on the side that help move the mouse. I would check if they are clean because sometimes there is dust,dirt, or hair in the way and it prevents the mouse to work correctly and barely move on your screen.

If that doesn't work for the mouse.....I don't know? Just a suggestion.... Hope it helps? Hope she gets that fixed...

You can always redo it and go to Add New Hardware but I don't know how bad it is or if it is needed?

3. td

td New Member

Also, go into control panel and click on the keyboard icon. You can change the repeat rate, blink rate, and speed. Then click on the mouse icon and check the motion tab to see what pointer speed is set to. Make any necessary adjustments there.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Are pages loading slow? Is the whole computer sluggish?
    I'd check out the whole thing. It doesn't sound like just a mouse problem.
    First go start>setting>control panel>system>performance and look to see what it says the system resources are. If they're low
    then turn it off and let it sit unplugged for at least a few hours.
    Plug it back in and turn it on. See if the system resources are higher. Go start>setting>control panel>system>device manager and look for anything that looks wrong. You can highlight one thing at a time and see if the driver for it is working right. (like the mouse one)
    It might just be that you have too much stuff going on or programs running at once. Close them and see if it helps. Press ctrl and alt and delete just once to see all the ones that are running.
    When's the last time you ran mainetenance on it? Have you deleted programs lately? Do you have a virus scanner and is it up to date and have you ran it lately?
    Gina

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Hi everyone, didn't now this thread was here.
    I do not have wireless mouse and keyboard.
    I have a lot of memory free, only have 1/4 used the rest of course free. I evn deleted a lot of unused programs, like money works and stuff like that, a bunch of my product pictures to free up more space.
    I can not open 'control panel' today or 'my computer'.
    Gina, thought of system resources and went and turned off some stuff on the task bar, and sometimes it's slow and sometimes it's great. A restart sometimes helps, and sometimes not. Everytime I tryy to open control panel I get this ' this program has preformed an illegal operation and wil eb shut down', click to close and get' there was an internal error adn one of the widows you are using will be closed, it is recommended that you save your work and, close all program and restart your computer', which of course doesn't help at all for the control panel or my computer.
    My computer didn't come with a system restoration disk or I would run it, they now tell me it was supose too, and I should ahve called back then,(computer is like 3 years old), nothing they can do about it now they say as they have no more windows 98 second edititon disks, nor according to them does microsoft as they stoped making them. So I ahve a friend who is mailing me one to see if it helps or not. My only other option is to buy the windows 98SE, found a guy on ebay who has a lot of them unopened and not registered, but thats $50. like who has that.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Katie, I believe it was illegal for them to sell it to you without that reboot disk. Go back and ask them if they are aware of that and then propose the solution: they refund your money or get you what you need.
    You also need to make sure you've run the maintenance or at least the disk degrag thingie recently, and go through and manually remove the unneeded parts of the programs you got rid of because the computer usually never gets rid of every bit of them, and then you got fragments flyin' all over the place unsupervised and undisciplined. LOL
    Mine was doing the same thing recently btw, it was windows errors that had to be fixed and unless you're really really good you're going to need the disk to fix it and even if you are really really good you'll still need it for a few things.
    Mine started with a storm and a very very close lightening strike that threw everything off though, and I mean everything. I'm suprised I didn't have to trash the whole thing!
    Gina

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Gina, I've had my computer probably about 3 years, do you still think this will work?
    I defraged twice this week, and went to add/delete programs and deleted them from there. Is that what you asked me about?
    Oh a stoem Gina. We had a really bad storm a few dasy ago, but no lightening as far as I know near the house, it was at night so I didn't see all of it till the siren went off and we got up and got dresses for the basement. So I wonder if maybe it did somethng to it? We have DSL now and unhooked that, but it was still plugged it.
    So is the reboot disk the one i need, it that the recovery disk or what? See I really am computer stupid.
    I'm calling Wal MArt tomorrow.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with the control panel definitely points to a corrupted Windows file.

Without a restore disk, or a Win98 installation disk, I don't know how you're going to fix this.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh, I didn't see the control panel thing the first time!
    Even if it's been three years it still was not right for them to do. A store out here did it to a friend of mine. It was only a year later with her, but anyhow they gave her a new computer when she threatened to turn them in.
    Was not being able to get to the control panel temporary or is it still doing it? Try getting to the items that would be in it by going start>find>files or folders and type whatever you want into it and click from there and see if it opens it.
    If you're still getting an "illegal operation" message on it then your Quick Time files are damaged or missing. You may have accidentally deleted them or they might have just been messed up.
    You'll need to uninstall and reinstall it. See if you can find the files free online first. You might want to contact them (they're Apple files) for support in how to do it right. Just uninstalling it is a pain in the rear, you'll have to go into safemode and type in codes and stuff. If you're not used to stuff like that you'd feel safer just getting the cd.
    Gina

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not sure this is going to work.
    yep there it is, a little while ago I tried to go to my emial and it would type in letteres or number, although my keyboard is functioning.
    Gina, I did get some quick time warning thingy or something a few minutes ago and restarted and keyboard is fine now, and no quicktime warning. Sounds like a big pain, think my son might be able to do all that, I hope anyway.
    Went to wal mart, they are trying to contact hp and see if they can get it for me, otherwise they aren't going to do anything.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I just gott he recovery disk in the mail from a friend,a dn it won't do anything. It will open that up, but all it sasy is add/delete programs,a dn all it will do is delete. Won't do anything about the windows program itself. At this point all I can figure is I need to reinstall the windows program, and hope that works. Did I say earlier that I wasm told today the hard drive had crashed? That guy thinkns I need a new hard drive, then that emans buying a windows program. ug, computers :eek: :mad: [​IMG]

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try the re-install before buying a new hard drive.

You'll wipe out all your programs, so make sure you back up any files you want to keep BEFORE you start the install.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

DOn, I finally got a recovery disk to work for me, it was a different disk though. It seems to be working alright. I sometimes get a error box that says there isn't enough memory to run a certain program, like when I open a windows explorer window(I hace DSL so I just open a browser window when I want to do something on line.) I restart and everything is fine again. So although it is working it seems great, there are still some small things going on. May eventually have to totaly reinstall. I saved everything todisk or emailed it to myself. I was able to save almost everything, but had to make choices and dump something I'd lik to have kept.