1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Keepers At Home, etc"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor David, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe New Member

Basically, I'm wondering if Paul was writing a binding declaration upon the entire church or if he was advising Timothy in a specific situation at a specific time at a specific place. Corinthians deals with order in the church but I don't remember if it deals with this issue. One would think it would, especially when it's written by the same man.

I am wondering why and how the church culture today differs from what Paul longed for.

2. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

What we have through the various circumstances, at various times, and in various places, in the issues that Paul had to address throughout his ministry is the collective wisdom of divine inspiration which sets forth a New Testament ethic for believers. For example, when Paul tells a young man at Corinth it is sinful for him to sleep with his new mother-in-law, we can take that principle as normative for all Christians at all times - meaning it is still sinful for young men to sleep with their new mother-in-law. Whereas most of the churches Paul dealt with would have had limited exposure to other issues in other places, we have the benefit of knowing the bulk of his ministry all together, and therefore carry the greater burden of keeping this New Testament ethic in it's entirety.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Of the second sort are . . . the prohibition of Paul, that women should not teach in the Church, and the like; . . . . these things . . . ought to be applied to the edification of the Church, with a variety suitable to the manners of each age and nation, therefore, as the benefit of the Church shall require, it will be right to change and abolish former regulations, and to institute new ones." ---John Calvin, Institutes, vol. 4, ch. 10, sec. 29-30

4. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe New Member

Thank you. Yes, I agree. It is still wrong for a man to sleep with his mother-in-law. But there are many Christians and some churches who believe it is ok for women to preach. I will look into this as to why they believe that. Thanks again.