1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keeping 20-30's

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Aug 3, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know...what does Scripture say? Is a symbol secular? Is clapping secular? Is dancing secular? Are chairs secular? buildings? clothes? Do you even know what secular means? If not, here you go...

Main Entry: 1sec·u·lar
    Pronunciation: \ˈse-kyə-lər\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French seculer, from Late Latin saecularis, from saeculum the present world, from Latin, generation, age, century, world; akin to Welsh hoedl lifetime
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : of or relating to the worldly or temporal <secular concerns> b : not overtly or specifically religious <secular music> c : not ecclesiastical or clerical <secular courts> <secular landowners>
    2 : not bound by monastic vows or rules; specifically : of, relating to, or forming clergy not belonging to a religious order or congregation <a secular priest>
    3 a : occurring once in an age or a century b : existing or continuing through ages or centuries c : of or relating to a long term of indefinite duration <secular inflation>

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

hmmm..a debate about worship styles and such is probably best reserved for the worship forum. So what are your churches doing to effectively reach 20 and 30somethings?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think worship style plays a part in this ;)

Our church has "Pathfinders"...basically a small group for this age group.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog -
    What are they doing in reaching that age group?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That demographic is not that prevalent in our church...there may be 10 - 20 tops. Our church is mainly middle age with young children and teens. Our children (teens included) account for 1/3 to 1/2 of our congregation. Our pastor and his wife run the small group. Basically they meet at their home for food, Wii, Bible study, fellowship...that sort of thing.

6. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

Our church is PRIMARILY made up of 20-30 age group (about 75%). Median age would be about 28 or 29.

1. Strong emphasis on personal soul-winning. Most of our people have NO church background.

2. Exegetical preaching / systematic teaching of 1689 LBC and Spurgeon's catechism

3. Teaching the importance of prayer and actively involving them in it.

4. Vision for missions.

7. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

That's cute. But if I you don't understand the difference between sacred or secular and the place they do or do not have in the worship of God, I can't help you.

8. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Lux and Webdog. I appreciate the info and ideas. I have started to figure out what would work best in our area.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

9. YPWIFE5606

YPWIFE5606 New Member

Ok...now it's my turn

I have been anxiously awaiting my activation to participate in this thread. I am in the age range you are talking about. My husband and I have recently started to work at a church trying to help them bring in new/younger families. The 60+ crowd says they don't want the church to die and see the need for a change or two but at the same time they don't want to let go of anything. Most of the hymns from the hymnals that talk about fountains of blood and rivers of blood sound like horror movies and would not really attract new unchurched people.

The problem we are having is that the bulk of the congregation is 60+ as I said and thinks that "Well if it was good enough for me its good enough for them"....not true and how selfish. There needs to be a middle ground somewhere.

Good for you SaggyWoman! I'm on board with you for much of what you said. My husband is a pastor who grew up as a pastor's kid and grew up in a lot of the we-need-to-do-it-this-way-because-its-the-only-way type thinking and has seen both sides.

I am not saying to make it 100% or even 1% secular. I think we all need to get out of the us-vs-them mentality when it comes to separation. I get it...we need to be in and not of the world but no where does that say stick your nose up in the air because they don't fit your idea or mold.

We are planning on adding a contemporary service with a heavy metal band...just kidding ...figured I have riled up enough people from what I have already said based upon what some have said. We ARE going to have a later contemporary service for those younger and families with young kids and bulk up the kids stuff. If the older-we-only-sing-hymns-and-do-it-this way crowd wants to come ...that's fine, please do, but do NOT expect a duplicate of your service. My age group wants significance and relationship and knowing someone noticed they are struggling while at the same time hoping no one noticed. Whether 90 or 19 we all want love and acceptance and that is done through relationship.

Thanks for starting this thread!

10. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    YPWife,
    Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate what you said about building it on relationships. With so many churches who all preach and teach God's Word, many people will keep coming to a church because of relationships.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we wanting to win them with the word of God and their love for Him or with secular entertainment.

"Heaven help us to know the difference between a crowd and a church." Dr. David Allen

12. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I've heard churches use "Cat's in the Cradle" to illustrate the place of the Father in the life of his children. I've heard "Give a Little Bit (of your love)" by Supertramp to illustrate the kind of fellowship Christians should have (I John); Even heard "I'll Stand by You" (The Pretenders) to illustrate God's faithfulness ("...Sticketh closer than a brother...").

As a Pastor, I'm not sure I would use these songs -- I certainly wouldn't in ALL circumstances. But if I am seeking to reach and teach a "younger crowd," or even most "Baby Boomers," I wouldn't necessarily see anything wrong with it.

Consider that Jesus used parables about common things in the lives of His hearers during His earthly ministry. Not EVERY word Jesus said began with a Scriptural text. Sometimes, He used an illustration from common life to teach a text or scriptural principle.

Of course, we may disagree on how to do that. But, that's okay. You're not answerable to me. And I am not answerable to you. :)

JDale

13. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

See, I guess this is where we differ in philosophy. About 20% of our church is Youth 12 to 18, Another 1- College age, and those from 22-39 another 30% or so (average attendance overall is about 1,000).

#'s 1,3, & 4 are all agreeable, but we emphasize the exegetical preaching/systematic teaching of the SCRIPTURES to our people. It doesn't do much to develop Calvinist theology, but it REALLY grounds them in the TRUTH of God's Word!

JDale

14. YPWIFE5606

YPWIFE5606 New Member

RevMitchell ~

I have not mentioned secular anything in my post if you were referring to what I had said.

What makes things like hymns and practices done in 1916... 1960... whenever any better than now? I would be willing to bet that the church of 1898 thought the church of 1916 had lost it.

My point is that it's history! Most generations disapprove of what the next generation does. It's the way it works. I'm sure when I an twice the age I am now that I would have to becareful not to fall into the same trap that generations prior to mine are now.

As I said... What makes you so certain that the hill you are willing to die on would not make your grandparents raise theo eyebrows.

JDOLE- thank you for your post!

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every generation becomes more depraved. I would not justify behavior based on that. However, My concern is not about music style but it is with the idea that we need to use personal choices to win and keep people in the church. Rather we should be focused on expository and biblical preaching, being lead by the Spirit, carrying our cross, being focused on who God is rather than who we are. Both the young people and the old are making the very same mistakes. Instead of the glory of God to many are worried about self gratification. Trying to win and keep people young or old based on anything other than the gospel is heresy.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do...it's apparent that you don't, though.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The answer is yes.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is, you are making it "either, or". There is no problem with reaching a people in the culture they are in. Culture changes...often.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is either or, are you winning them to culture or to God.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure I follow, since culture is an environment one is in...you don't need to be won over to what you live in.