1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keeping 50 to 80 year olds....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I know this my sound initially pretty presumptuous, because of the 20-30 something thread, but I am interested in this one.

What do you do to keep your 50-80 year olds involved in church?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not presumptious at all! Serving in SW Florida, this is a group that we have plenty of.

It's a combination of giving them places to serve and providing them fellowship opportunities. Probably like many churches we have a senior adult lunch which has a program which is sometimes public service kind of things, sometimes just fun and other times a clearly evangelistic emphasis. All the lunches have an evangelistic component because our seniors invite their friends.

But we also talk about ministry demands. They need to find a place to serve within the church and outside the church.

Just some thots for an early Sunday morning...

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Regarding places to serve, it is an interesting thing that there is a lot of places (non religious, non church related) that look for volunteers. A lot of the volunteer population (though not extensive) is the older adult, the retired adult. Most have more time that they are willing to volunteer. They are probably more willing to make a weekly commitment than the younger folk.