1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kenneth Wuest Word Studies

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TCGreek, Aug 17, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. It's me again. This time I wan to know if any pastor use the Kenneth Wuest Word Studies of the NT.

2. CBD is running the set cheap, so I want some feedback. You would think that I would know a lot about the set, but I don't.

3. Let me know what you think about the set.

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Hi TC,

I'm familiar with it - but I have not read it all through. After perusal I found it a bit too steeped in the old 19th century linguistic stereotypes. It has some nice applications in it but it seems to have way too little interaction with real linguistics. It seems to treat NT Greek as a code to be deciphered and not as a real spoken language.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Wuest and occasionally consult it. But it has some drawbacks, as Charles has pointed out. When I do consult it I am occasionally frustrated at its incompleteness, since there are some books Wuest didn't comment on. Having said that, if it's cheap enough and you have the money, buy it I say.

Of the old word study sets, Wuest is okay but incomplete, Vincent is not bad, but A. T. Robertson is the best. Fortunately, you can get him free (on the off chance you don't have him yet) in such low end Bible software as "Power Bible" and "e-Sword" (free over the Internet, on the off chance you didn't know), as well as the high end "Bible Works."

A similar set is the old and very rare Alford's Greek NT, linguistically out of date like the others but with some tremendous stuff in it--Alford's knowledge was encyclopedic.

A fairly new set is The Complete Biblical Library, which I've found to be a help.

#3 John of Japan, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have old faithful A.T. Robertson and I still use them from time to time. I think I'm going to forgo Wuest since he is trying all the NT books.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Wuest isn't bad. Depends on how cheap it is. I like Rogers' New Linguistic & Exegetical Guide to the Greek NT, along with A.T. (I have mine on Online Bible, the best Bible software out there). Wuest, Robertson, Rogers, are all good for nuggets.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I think I'll pass on Wuest for now. I may have used Roger's in seminary, but can't remember for sure. I tend to use Zerwick.

2. Is Roger's superior to Zerwick? What am I missing in Roger's?

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

CBD has Weust on sale for $10 until the end of August.:godisgood: Is that cheap enough?

8. Lions84

Lions84 New Member

Use AT Robertson and leave KW behind unless it is free.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I agree that KW should be left behind. Too far out of date linguistically to be of any real use.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I have Wuest and Robertson

When I need to consult Greek --- I grab Robertson

I'm with J of J here though!! For ten smackers---shoot---if you don't like it---give it to another preacher buddy who may be too poor to afford even the ten smackers----he'd probably like it even if you don't!!!