1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kenosis and Hypostasis

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Goinheix, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let's take a look at the beginning of John:

First chapter:

Jesus saw Nathanael and knew him before He met him. Nathaneal knew right away that Jesus was the Son of God. Would he say that just because someone physically saw him sitting somewhere? Nope.

Chapter 2
    Jesus knew that an hour was coming for Him - and it was not time. However, what did Jesus do? He created. He created wine. On his own.

Jesus knew that He was going to die and rise from the dead. How could He know this? He was God and He knew all things.

Wait - what is that? Jesus knew all people and knew what was in man? Interesting. I'd say that's kind of divine knowledge.

Chapter 3

Jesus knew heavenly things that was not revealed to man. He also knew that it was He who would bring eternal life by belief in Him.

Shall I continue? John makes it really easy. You may want to read it for yourself.

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

1. you are not a baptist. You do not have baptist beliefs.
    2. We have given you plenty of passages that say specific divine attributes of Jesus, but you choose to ignore them and lie about us giving them to you.
    3. Stop crying to the mods like a baby.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will give two verses from John that clearly states two attributes of Jesus on earth:

John 16:30 "Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God.”

John 16:33 "But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Jesus knew all things. He overcame the world. He fully had divine attributes while He walked on earth.

#123 annsni, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Jesus omniscient? Meaning, did He know things that a normal man would not have known? First example that pops in my mind is the woman at the well; the only way to say that Jesus knew about her many husbands in a "normal human" way would be to say that Jesus asked around about her, or had been basically stalking her. There is nothing in scripture to indicate that Jesus had been around the town prior, much less asking questions about this particular woman (which, by the way, would have been a culturally taboo thing to be doing at that time). Thus, a scriptural example of a godly attribute that Jesus exhibited.

Was Jesus omnipresent? Well, here's the kicker to that: One first has to answer the question, was Jesus God? The answer to that, by all parties, is yes. So the follow-up question is now: was God still present in heaven while Jesus walked the earth? Since we see in the gospels that upon baptism, there was a voice from heaven that said "this is my son, in whom I am well pleased," and we agree that Jesus was God in the flesh, then we have an example of God/Jesus being in two places at once. Thus, another scriptural example of a godly attribute that Jesus exhibited.

Was Jesus omnipotent? The argument that Goinheix made was that the man Jesus was limited to the natural laws that God implemented. However, scripture tells us that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead; that He turned water into wine; that He fed the 3,000 and the 5,000 with an amount of food that would barely feed a dozen; and many other miracles. In other words, to use Goinheix's words, Jesus did works that violated God's natural laws.

If Jesus did not have divine attributes, then the person(s) making that argument need to identify what the divine attributes are, and then clearly explain Jesus' lack of those attributes.

5. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Well, welcome to BaptistBoard.
    WM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.