1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kent Hovind

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jesus is Lord, May 19, 2004.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Have you heard about him? Would you recommend and use his material to defend creation? Why or why not?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I have heard his sermons on "biblepreaching.com." I thought that they were pretty good. Go there and check them out for yourself.

3. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Heard him once, in person. Among other things, he made these points to the largely appreciative crowd:

1. Many kinds of dinosaurs are alive & well on Earth today. We just don't run into them all that often, that's all.

2. UFO's are simply Satan's means of zipping from place-to-place around the globe.

IMHO, his brand of pseudo-science presents Christianity (to non-believers) as being made up of a bunch of cranks and slack-jawed yokels. His "Doctorate" is utter diploma-mill fodder, and isn't worth the paper it's printed on. And his tax-evasion schemes are almost the stuff of legend.

I think there are many others who provide a far-better Biblical/Science perspective than he does.

4. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I have heard Hovind, it's been awhile, though. I think Larry's criticism is much exaggerated. If you have doubts, though, you may also want to check into Steve Grohman. I know him personally and have been through his seminar several times...EXCELLENT, I highly recomment him.

5. Baptistgal

Baptistgal New Member

I've heard him many times, my husband was one of his students when he taught High School science. We have viewed all of his videos on Creation Science. While those who have been indoctrinated with the evolutionist point of view will automatically have a gut reaction of negativity towards him, if you listen to him with a discerning spirit I think you will find that he presents very good arguments for everything he says.

He provides good documentation, some of it from secular writers and sources, and he has his own extensive research as well. While it may seem fantastic to say that dinosaurs still exist today, if you listen to what he has to say you will see that it makes sense.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Kent Hovind is the quintissential deceiver and wolf in sheep's clothing, for the following reasons:

1 - His "doctorate" came from an online diplima mill. The "university" wasn't even accredited when he got it.

2 - He lied about his doctorate. He never wrote a valid doctoral thesis, and then he lied about it. The paper he eventually produced which he claimed as a thesis was some 100 pages shorter than he originally chaimed. Plus, the title has nothing to do with the content. Additionally, it's not an original thought, a requirement for a thesis. To top it off, he lied about they type of doctorate he received.

3 - Even if we assume his doctorate to be valid, he's not authorized to use the title "Dr". A person may only use the title when the degree pertains directly to the profession the person is in.

4 - He has on more than one occaision been caught for tax evasion. In one instance, he attempted to falsely declare bankruptcy in an attempt to get out of a tax evasion rap.

5 - He's made numerous blatantly false evedentiary statements in an attempt to bolster his young earth position. Several of his evidentiary statements were completely manufactured.

6 - Even the mainline reputable YEC organizations have refuted him as a "false professional". In fact, the website "Answers in Genesis" has had several warnings to YEC supporters to avoid using Hovind as a source.

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I too would highly recomend Steve Grohman, I went through one of his seminars about 7 or 8 years ago, it was great!!

9. JeffM

JeffM New Member

I highly recommend Kent Hovind's seminars.

I play his "DANGERS OF EVOLUTION" and "LIES IN THE TEXTBOOK" seminars on my local public access channel and many people have come to Christ.

I had several public school teachers call me and ask for copies of his tapes. They took them to our state run Board of Education to show them what is going on. There is now an ongoing fight to get Creation taught alongside evolution in Hawaii public schools.

My sister played his DANGERS OF EVOLUTION seminar to two Mormons who visit her house and they got saved and abandoned the Mormon cult!!

He has strengthen my faith more than I can measure.

God Bless Kent Hovind.

Jeff

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Except for the fact that Hovind is a bold-faced liar.

11. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

12. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Hugh Ross? HELP! :eek: He believes that the earth is hundreds of thousands of years old and that God constantly creates new animals to balance the dying of the whales for example.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hugh Ross does, however, provide biblical support for his views. AiG does as well. Kent Hovind does not. In fact, I've heard Hovind and Ross debate, and Hovind comes off as not only an uneducated idiot, but the manipulator that he is.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Kent Hovind also believes that Genesis was written, not by Moses, but by ten (I think it was ten) writers.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Actually, we don't know with certainty who wrote Genesis. The writing of the Torah was in all probability supervised by Moses, but the writing styles between some of the chapters is diverse enough to suggest different writers. Also, Genesis appears to have been the last of the Pentateuch written.

These points are inconsequential to the topic, since there's no scriptural requirement to accept the books as chronological, nor is there a scriptural requirement to believe that Moses penned the Torah himself.

16. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

I’ve read the analysis of the debate between Hovind and Ross by Dr. Sarfati of AiG and although Dr. Sarfati disagrees with a few points Hovind made in the debate, Sarfati defends and adds to a lot of what Hovind had to say. Dr. Sarfati also blisters Ross’s hide for the outlandish comments he made. Kinda make Ross the uneducated Hominid idiot he claimed he evolved from.

Click here for the analysis

17. JeffM

JeffM New Member

Johnv,

You are making some pretty malicious statements about Kent Hovind. He's certainly not perfect but who is? His ministry has helped many people get out of Satans grasps and I've seen it first hand.

Can you back up these claims you make against him? I personally don't care what degree he has. He relies heavily on the scripture to back up what he has to say. Have you even seen any of his seminars? I'm beginning to think not because if you did, you couldn't make some of the accusations that you have.

I've notice in my short time on this forum, you seem to be very judgemental of everyone and everything.

As Jesus said, "Those without sin, cast the first stone".

I certainly don't want to make any enemies here, especially since this is a Baptist/Christian forum, but I am starting to get very apprehensive about posting here.

Jeff

18. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Boy, am I an idiot for not "knowing" all of this information!

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They're unfortunately true.

I don't expect anyone to be perfect. Certainly, you and I are not perfect. However, I do expect people to refrain from disengenuineness. What's I've posted is, unfortunately, not opinion.

I'm sure people have gotten saved at a Benny Hinn crusade, as well, but, well, you can fill in the rest of that arguement. Likewise, some on this board have claimed that just because you get saved watching "The Passion of the Christ", that doesn't excuse the unscriptural content of the film. So if that is the case with "The Passion", why is it not also the case with Hovind.

They're readily available on the 'net. His bankruptcy papersork is a matter of public record, No. 96-04256 in Pensacola, FL. While perusing the public records, you'll also find felony charges for assault and battery (which were dropped), and charges pending for misdemeanor building code violations.

Neither do I. I do, however, care when he misrepresents himself. He received his "degree" from Patriot University, an online diploma mill. They were unaccredited when we got his degree. Also, his thesis, which is supposed to be available to the public for peer review, is nto available through the university, and Hovind has often tried to keep it from the public. I challenge you to contact the University to obtain, or at least, make arrangements to view, the thesis. They'll give you the runaround.

Additionally, he has said numerous times that he has a doctorate in education, which is incorrect.

I'm sure he does rely heavily on scripture, but that doesn't change the fact that he has misrepresented evidentiary facts. The website Ansers In Genesis says the Hovind makes "...mistakes in facts and logic which do the creationist cause no good...".

As a Christian, we should definitely be pulling the specks out of our own eyes before dealing with the logs in our brothers' eyes. You'll notice that my judgements are typically responses to statements made by others which themselves cast judgement at a situation, while at the same time that situation often exists in Christianity with hardly a second glance. This is dangerous, and makes Christianity look bad.

With Hovind's case, he needs to be exposed for what he is, which is a charlatain.

By all means. When I have misjudged a brother, or made inaccuracies or misjudgements about others, I expect to have others let me know. It's the only way I can grow as a Christian. In fact, I've on occaision gotten my wrist slapped by other sincere folks on this board, who desire nothing more than to correct me in righteousness.

Unfortunately, Kent Hovind is the Benny Hinn of the YEC crowd. I respect the position of the YEC crowd, but I also recognize the falsehoods of Kent Hovind.
    Your posts are certainly welcome, IMO. Respectful discussion is healthy for the soul.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Ummmm....I read just a few paragraphys of Hugh Ross's explaination of the Noahdic Flood. This clown wants you to believe it was not global. My Bible says it was.
    I believe the Bible and this guy with his "science falsely so-called" can jump in his "local flood'.
    Jim
    I will trust a man who sticks to the Bible and leads people to Jesus in the process, thank you very much! i.e. Hovind