1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kerry Slams Our Troops Again

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vera Hammoudeh

Vera Hammoudeh New Member

"Oh your taken me wrong here" i never said he was presidential material.
    He doesn't have the back bone to take that on. He would be even worse at that then what we have now.

:type:
    Vera

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I agree that probably the majority of US troops were drafted into WWII. It just hits me that the general mood was one of joining up to fight a just war. I don't agree that most Viet Nam soldiers enlisted. I'll try to find some data on that. Nothing follows from WWII and Viet Nam with respect to my comments on Iraq. I think you want to knock down anything I say. Do you have any supporting data?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I would expect that most soldiers are trying to do their job and make the workd a better place to live.

One mission at a time.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter if you agree or not. It's a fact.

You have fallen victim to one of the many myths concerning the Vietnam War.

http://www.vetshome.com/vietnam.htm
    DRAFTEES VS. VOLUNTEERS:
    a.. 25% (648,500) of total forces in country were draftees.
    b.. (66% of US armed forces members were drafted during W.W.II).
    c.. Draftees accounted for 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam.
    d.. Reservists killed: 5,977.
    e.. National Guard: 6,140 served, 101 died.
    f.. Total draftees (1965-73)1,728,344.
    g.. Actually served in Vietnam 38%.
    h.. Marine Corps draft: 42,633.
    i.. Last draftee: June 30, 1973.

WINNING AND LOSING:
    a.. 82% of vets who saw heavy combat strongly believe
    the war was lost because of lack of political will.

P.S. Our enemies today are counting on the liberal establishment in America to make sure we lose our political will once again.

#104 carpro, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I have heard that from many combat vets.

And it is scary that 'we' continue to forget that troops want to make and keep our country free.

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

What "liberal establishment?" The GOP runs everything. And the media is largely pro-GOP. If the public gets fed up with Iraq, you have the party running things to blame, and them only.

BTW, this one sums up the GOP response to Kerry pretty well...
    http://cagle.com/news/JohnKerryJoke/images/sack.jpg

7. Walguy

Walguy Member

Well, the entire educational establishment from kindergarten through grad schools is run by liberals. You can't seriously believe that their ideology doesn't get into the curriculum and teaching. College professors are overwhelmingly liberal, as well as the administrations of most colleges. The chronic insertion of liberal ideology into both teaching and university policy has been documented over and over. Right now, a major part of the message is that Bush is a lying idiot and the war in Iraq was started to benefit Bush's oil buddies (there are numerous other equally inane Iraq War theories that are also taught as fact by America-hating college profs every day). All this influences young minds and helps weaken support for the war in Iraq, as well as the war on terror as a whole.

THE MEDIA IS LARGELY PRO-GOP???? Good heavens, man, what universe do you live in? Aside from the fact that every poll ever taken indicates that the liberal bias of the media is evident to the majority of those paying attention, look at the coverage! How often do you see anything positive about the war effort reported anywhere in the MSM, including most local newspapers and TV stations in cities of any size? All you ever see is the negative stuff, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. The MSM has been doing everything in their power to proclaim the Iraq war a failure since before the invasion was even launched 3 1/2 years ago. That kind of pounding does take a toll, particularly among those who rely exclusively or mostly on TV (other than Fox News) and newspapers for information. If you really think the constant negative coverage of the Iraq war hasn't negatively impacted public opinion, you're totally beyond intellectual hope. Btw, our enemies see this stuff too, and it strengthens their resolve to keep up the counter-attacks, since they see the exact reaction in our media that they are trying to get.

Finally, the fact that the GOP controls the WH and Congress doesn't stop the Democrats at all levels from constantly undermining the administration and the war effort (the MSM, of course, being on the same side, make sure that we get regular doses of these attacks on the president and our military). Our enemies see that too, and like it even more than the biased media reports about the war itself, because that is even stronger evidence of how our resolve is weakening.

Getting involved in Viet Nam to the extent we did was a mistake. BUT, once we had made that commitment, it was an even worse mistake to not fight to win. By effectively surrendering in Viet Nam, we encouraged every other oppressive communist regime in the world to go ahead with their atrocities without fear of America coming to the rescue. Many suffered and died as a result. Regardless of whether or not the war in Iraq was the right thing to do (as I believe) or not, if we do the same thing with Iraq as we did with Viet Nam, the Muslim terrorists, who are even crazier and more blood-thirsty than communist dictators, will be at least equally freed to go about their business without fear of the US interfering. It will also dramatically increase the chances that the battle will be brought back to American soil in a big way again. This is of slightly more importance than undermining a hated president for political reasons, of course, but all the libs seem to care about is regaining power and undermining Bush, refusing to even consider the potential costs. This is what tends to happen when people are motivated by emotion (especially hate) and thirst for power, instead of reason. I only hope and pray that huge numbers of people don't again end up paying for their short-sightedness.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Well, that seems to have been a slanty question considering b.. Nearly 75% of the public agrees it was a failure of political will, not arms.

I'm amazed that 25% believe it was "arms". The problem was the goal of that war - to make the Vietnamese accept democracy over communism. Our "goal" was not to take over Vietnam but to make sure a certain native faction did.

Will to do what? We already made sure that Iraq has no WMDs (they didn't before we went in and now they still don't), Saddam is overthrown and on trial, the people voted, oil contracts were put in place and a non-nationalization of natural resources (read: oil) clause was written into their constitution to protect the oil contracts.

True, we have not established a permanent military base there and our enemies probably have mixed opinions on that one.

At the same time, we have destabilized the region, probably began a three-way civil war and allowed terrorists to flourish in Iraq. The Coalition of the Willing are uncoalescing. There is little civil order in the country - thugs, brigands and sectarian warlords have a free hand now that we have liberated them.

Since the old government, the one we declared war against, surrendered long ago, what is our current goal there? To kill all the terrorists, present and future? Who are the terrorists and who are the insurgents and freedom fighters? How do we tell them apart - an especially difficult task when few of us know the language and culture and when troops are rotated in and out, unable to establish permanent ties?

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Daisy,

This was not one of your better posts. The public in your example agreed with the veterans in Carpro's example.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

What military outrage riles the GOP base?

CLICK HERE

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just a guess, but I would say you know nothing of the Vietnam War. Why dont you give me a lecture on what it was like?

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Are you claiming, then, that it was a failure of arms?

What was the goal for the US of the Vietnam War, in your humble opinion?

#112 Daisy, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally Posted by carpro
    It doesn't matter if you agree or not. It's a fact.

You have fallen victim to one of the many myths concerning the Vietnam War.

http://www.vetshome.com/vietnam.htm
    DRAFTEES VS. VOLUNTEERS:
    a.. 25% (648,500) of total forces in country were draftees.
    b.. (66% of US armed forces members were drafted during W.W.II).
    c.. Draftees accounted for 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam.
    d.. Reservists killed: 5,977.
    e.. National Guard: 6,140 served, 101 died.
    f.. Total draftees (1965-73)1,728,344.
    g.. Actually served in Vietnam 38%.
    h.. Marine Corps draft: 42,633.
    i.. Last draftee: June 30, 1973.

WINNING AND LOSING:
    a.. 82% of vets who saw heavy combat strongly believe
    the war was lost because of lack of political will.

P.S. Our enemies today are counting on the liberal establishment in America to make sure we lose our political will once again.

Some people frequently "guess" wrong.:BangHead:

14. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Would you say, then, that Bush is just as good at war as Johnson?

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

. . . You picked your poison . . .

. . . I hope that you never claim to be a veteran

. . . that would, now, be unbelievable, even as a 'guess'.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You seem to have some knowledge or experience with the Vietnam War, and I am always anxious for people to tell me all about it. So, I am not interested in your facts and figures from a web site, I am interested in your observations of the war. Or is it kind of like a lot of signatures on this board, flag waving but no sacrifice.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Same goes for you, hallow flag waver.

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Um, that was part of my point, El Guero. The question appears to have been a false dichotomy - "appears" because we don't know how it was worded, do we?

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You should not worship a flag . . . Nor should those living in glass houses - slam the front door.

I may argue against your politic. But, your integrity has never been debatable, just deplorable.

So, now - tell us your 'war stories'. Go ahead, impress me. Make me think deep down inside, "Maybe he really did not google this up."

Not.

I can at least give Kery credit for getting to Vietnam, but a veteran of google does not impress me.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's an interesting and complex question. I don't know the answer - it's something to think about.

Thanks.

Do you have an opinion on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.