1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kicked out of the YMCA... for witnessing??!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Search4Truth, Jul 15, 2004.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Jim---I don't want you to get the idea that nobody on the BB witnesses---don't go gettin' that impression!! The "Y" is a ultri-liberal organization that welcomes all religions in as Christian---Moronic Mormans and JW's included---and was probably taken offense to the fella doing what he did----and if you want to get to the truth---way down deep maybe one of the managers is thinkin'----"We ought to be doin' what that Chap's doin'---except Jesus ain't worth near as much to us as He is to that chap---so we'll keep on being cheap!! See??

Brother David

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. James Reed sez:
    So, by your logic, any witnessing done to anyone not specifically requesting such, is out-of-bounds; right?

Don't recall every person Jesus talked to approaching Him first with a request for spiritual guidance!

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, the more I think about this the more I can see Bro. J R's point, although I am not in total agreement with him.

While what I said re: Jesus' approach is true, it's also true that He was selective in WHO He approached!

The secret(?) here is to be led by, and LISTEN TO, the Holy Spirit, not just decide "That person needs salvation" and zero in on them.

Some are ready, some are not, and we don't know which is which.

I do fully believe that many times Christians repel non-believers with an approach that is not what the H. S. has led to; intentions are great, but obedience is far better.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I tend to repel believers as well, but I'm not sorry for it. We are to preach the gospel to EVERY creature, not just the ones who are ready for it. Some of them will never be ready for it, but if we do not tell them the truth, their blood is on us.

Proverbs 24
    11 If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain;
    12 If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works?

I pray that God would give me more boldness to walk up to total strangers and start talking about the Lord.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

blackbird;
    You may be correct in your assessment of the condition of the heart of that 'Y' director. Who knows? And you are definitely correct about the current ultr-liberal and ultra-modern philosophy of the 'Y'.
    But if we are to use that criteria to determine where we witness, then the only place left would be in church. And even that would be greatly limited, given the current condition of most churches in America.
    I apologize to they who may have the impression that my replies had the implication that they do not witness. That was not my intention at all. My sole purpose in this thread is to voice my support for the man who had trouble at this YMCA, and to refute the lame arguments against him.
    In His service;
    Jim

6. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Nope. If I drop my child off at the "Y", I don't want LDS cornering him there.

So it's your responsibility? You can talk to all of the adults you wish, but you cross a line with minors.

Then again, it's "entirely possible" thant they were still several years from that age. At any rate, maybe your kids were fully mature during all of their high school years, but mine... and all of the other kids I know... are not.

Is there a standard physical build for an evangelist? I've seen them in all shapes, sizes, and ages. Besides, there are at least two concerns that the "Y" has to address - physical confrontation is only one of them. I wouldn't want someone to be nice and friendly and convince my child to follow him away from the center, either.

Who's to decide if the "man in question has enough sense to be decerning" in such a situation? The "Y" personnel?

The bottom line is that the "Y" is private property, and they have the right to have a say as to what kind of activites go on there.

If they were to allow evangelizing, then all religions could come on out. Kids would have to run a gauntlet of evangelists hoping to convert them to whatever religion they represent. Parents wouldn't want to drop their kids off, and soon business would dry up, and the "Y" would close it's doors.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Glorybound says, "If they were to allow evangelizing, then all religions could comeon out."

See?? That's the trouble, Glorybound!! The "Y" does no evangelism!! Nothing! Ziltch!! Zero!! And since their evangelistic ferver is gone(as cold as General Custer's Campfire the day after Little Big Horn!!) They do not exist for evangelism!! And they will see to it that their doors will never close---and the reason they won't ever close---is that no one is allowed to do evangelism!! Their physcal doors may be open---but Jesus is knocking on a closed door spiritually!!! And from the looks of things---they are ignoring the "KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!"

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Glorybound:
    You are wrong. I don't care at this point in the conversation if the man were LDS, JW, Muslim, or a Moonie. This nation is a free nation. I will not restrict any man from the free exercise of his religion. (done peacfully of course). In so restricting one group, you restrict all. Don't you get that?
    Did you read the article? These kids are past the age of mommy coming to the rescue. No it is not at all possible the kids were "several years from that age", (i.e. military service).
    YES!!! it IS my resposibility to take the gospel into ALL the earth. Red folks, black folks, brown folks, white folks, yellow folks, young folks, old folks, big folks, small folks, mommy folks, daddy folks, kid folks, smart folks, not so smart folks, every one everywhere. I will not be mean, menacing, or hateful about it. Neither was this man. He was following His Lord's commands. And somehow you have a problem with that? Your comments are not wise in my opinion.

In His service;
    Jim

9. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Anyone is free to exercise their religion - on their own property - or with the permission of the property owners. In this case such permission is not extended.

I did - but I didn't read the exact ages - "high school aged" doesn't necessarily mean 18 years old. Maybe you miss the frequent articles in the news about teens being abducted. As a parent, I don't want strangers approaching my teen and giving them money to influence their decisions.

Yes, I have a problem with that. The same problem I have with people going to certain foreign nations and boldly witnessing when it's against the law. Sure, they witness all right - and can claim "persecution" when they are arrested and kicked out. But it really makes it much harder on those remaining to witness within the confines of the law. This man, in protesting so strongly, has simply strengthened the resolve of those he argues with. He has actually pushed the YMCA farther away, and has probably made it more difficult for anyone else to witness in any form there.

We'll have to agree that we find each others comments "not very wise" - otherwise we'd agree and not be having this discussion at all. ;)

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Glorybound said,"
    -------------------------------------------------
    Yes, I have a problem with that. The same problem I have with people going to certain foreign nations and boldly witnessing when it's against the law.

To which I reply;
    "saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and behold ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
    Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men..."

"When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them."

Acts 5:28-29, 33

You decide who is right. The disciples were not on their own property. They were disobeying the rulers at the time. They were not within the confines of "the law". They definitely did not have permission of the property owners. They had just gotten out of prison for this very "crime".

You should know how "the rest of the story" unfolds, so I will not here take up any more space.

You must decide what you will do. Obviously this man we are talking about made his decision and acted on it. I believe he was within his God given obligations. He is not the one who is wrestling with God on this issue.

In His service;
    Jim

11. Search4Truth

Search4Truth New Member

From Larry Lee.

"Dear Friends,

On Friday, July 23, 2004, I met with the Executive Director of the Cobb County YMCA, Tom McCleskey.

I am thrilled to report that Mr. McCleskey has welcomed me back to the East Cobb YMCA as a member in good standing.

Mr. McCleskey ([email protected]) will be issuing a statement sometime during the day on Monday, July 26, 2004, to appear on the YMCA website (www.ymcacobb.org). The purpose of the statement will be to announce that this situation has been resolved, and that at no time did I pose a threat to the safety or security of anyone at the YMCA, which of course includes the two high school seniors with whom I shared the gospel of Jesus Christ on July 2, 2004.

I want to take this opportunity to first of all thank God for His incredible work in bringing this situation to a wonderful resolution. I also want to say that I thank God for all of you as my friends, many of whom I've never even met, for your prayers and active involvement in this very important matter. This has been a very difficult 3 weeks for my family, as a false portrayal of "Dad" was being circulated on the World Wide Web. With the full restoration of my membership, the YMCA has cleared the air of any false accusations, and for that I am grateful. Both the YMCA and I agree that the safety of all people at the YMCA deserves top priority, and we agree that sharing the gospel respectfully and appropriately is certainly a worthy activity at a Christian organization.

Friends, please remember that sharing the gospel is still legal in this country, even though this is not the case in many countries around the world. And sharing the gospel is still the Great Commission that Jesus gave us before He ascended into heaven. My prayer is that this situation would serve as an encouragement to you to share the good news of Jesus Christ with others in a loving, respectful, courageous and truthful manner as ambassadors of Christ.

And, as I've requested in the past, if you contact the YMCA regarding the resolution of this matter, please do so with every effort to be Christ-like in your manner.

God bless you all.

Larry Lee, President
    Down to Earth Ministries, Inc.
    P.O. Box 669534
    Marietta, GA 30066
    (404) 915-7560
    [email protected]

Are You Good Enough to Go to Heaven? Find out here:
    http://www.livingwaters.com/good/001.shtml

Are You Thinking Clearly? Find out here:
    http://www.str.org

Are You Serious About Christian Apologetics? This site is for you:
    http://www.ses.edu"

12. Search4Truth

Search4Truth New Member

God bless all who took this wonderful opportunity to show their love and devotion to their Lord and Saviour by supporting His faithful servant Larry Lee against the forces of Satan.

Due to your efforts at the Cobb County Young Men's Christian Association, Christians can continue to preach the Gospel at all YMCAs without fear of persecution. This is a glorious victory for our Lord Jesus Christ!

This is the YMCA's current mission statement:

"To put Christian principals into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all."

These are the YMCA's evangelical founders:

"Through the influence of nationally known lay evangelists Dwight L. Moody (1837-1899) and John Mott (1865-1955), who dominated the movement in the last half of the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries respectively, the American YMCAs sent workers by the thousands overseas, both as missionary-like YMCA secretaries and as war workers.

The first foreign work secretaries, as they were called, reflected the huge missionary outreach by Christian churches near the turn of the century. But instead of churches, they organized YMCAs that eventually were placed under local control. Both Moody and Mott served for lengthy periods as paid professional staff members of the YMCA movement. Both maintained lifelong connections with it."

Proverbs 29:2 "When the righteous rule, the people rejoice; but with the wicked in power, they groan."

In His service, S4T.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Whoa! Stop!!! Some may disagree with the actions of the YMCA, but their actions were not a "force of Satan". Do not give Satan credit for something he had no hand in, for he will be glad to take credit for it if you do so.

14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "This has been a very difficult 3 weeks for my family, as a false portrayal of 'Dad' was being circulated on the World Wide Web."

Is this not ironic? It was his own Web page that brought the controversy to the public.

Turned out it was a tempest in a teapot after all.

15. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

I have a question? AS i'm not here much please respond in the form of pm's...

Was this christian PUSHING his beliefs on someone who didn't want it? Or was he witnessing to someone who had asked him a serious doctrine question.

We must be very careful when we are witnessing that we don't come out looking badly. It's easy to push beyond what the person we're speaking with wants to hear. We have to keep our zest to ourselves and just wait for the question to be asked.

Remember the best witness tool is your own attitude.

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

1. Any action in opposition to a faithful man for witnessing is a force of Satan. It may not be that old devil himself, but it certainly is anti-christ, and that spirit is satanic.
    2. It may be that the man's web page was the vehicle which brought the issues to the internet, but I submit that the false portrayal was not the fault of the web page. It was the fault of the professing christians who sided with the YMCA.
    Both of these things are now moot, since Jesus won!
    In His service;
    Jim

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

On the contrary. It is those Christian who supported the YMCA who recognize that Christians who witness don't get a free pass to work outside the scopr of rules, regulations, and common sense. This man's actions, while the intentions were good, violated all of those to some degree. There's an old saying that says the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. His intentions were good, but his actions were questionable. How often do we here insist that we are to submit to authority? This is exactly a case where a Christian failed to submit to authority, which resulted in him being a poor witness.

18. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Yes at the very least it's ironic. Smells pretty "fishy" to me - and tends to make Christians look questionable.

19. Search4Truth

Search4Truth New Member

Bless you brother Jim for your support in this glorious victory for the Lord.

It was in fact an army of Christian soldiers that spread the word of this event across the Internet. It would have otherwise been an obscure event relegated to the pages of a single Christian web site. But because of Christians like yourself, it spread like wildfire.

The result was that Mr. McCleskey relented in his efforts to use a YMCA rule that was intended to protect children from predators, from being used to keep Christians from witnessing at what is still a Christian institution. Praise the Lord!

John Chapter 3:19 “This, then, is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone who practices wicked things hates the light and avoids it, so that his deeds may not be exposed. 21 But anyone who lives by the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be shown to be accomplished by God.”

In His service, S4T

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Johnv;
    Do you actually read other people's posts, or do you just spout off your opinions? I refer you to the comments I made above concerning the episode in Acts. In light of which, your comments are unfounded.
    In His service;
    Jim