1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kiffin leaves Tennessee

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I have to give your Vols a pat on the back,your last three head coaches for football were not big names with big records when you folks got them. I don't know if Dooley will do good or not, but he sure sounds like a southern football coach. A friend of mine became a fan of his when he tried to recruit his son to SMU, I believe. Two of our last three down here in Florida had names in smaller ponds but was know. One was loved down here before he took the job. Many a good man turned it down, because it is a pressure cooker to coach at, our fans think they know more than the coaches and they will turn on you at the drop of a hat.

For the good of your Vols and the SEC, I hope he is as good as his father was at Ga. I hope he has more life in his speech than Vince had, man could he be dry.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Dooley won the press conference while Hamilton did not. Dooley got applause from the media for a couple of lines (notably when an ESPN reporter asked if he was going to try to steal recruits from USC as payback). He is much more lively than his dad, though their accents are very similar. He praised Majors and Fulmer and Neyland. He said all the right things.

I have to disagree about Majors not having a big name. He had just coached a national champion and Heisman winner before coming home to his dream job. While Fulmer did not have a national big name, he was loved in TN and in football circles as an OC.

I don't know if last night's presser will help calm the wolves at MH's door. Haven't talked to many boosters yet about that.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

That accents lets you know where he is from. His dad would put me to sleep talking, but not when he had Walker run all over us, I was wide awake.

No you don't, I just have to help you Vol fans count.
    1. Fulmer
    2. Kiffin
    3. Dooley
    I was speaking after he was hired. And as you said Fulmer wasn't a big name head coach before.

I believe if you would ask the head coaches in the SEC Fulmer would get good reviews, better than MH and I'm glad you folks have MH and not us.
    I wish you folks all the best except one time a year.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Not sure what counting has to do with the fact that Majors was indeed a big name. And Dooley isn't a "last" anything. He's still the coach. Now if you had said coaching hires, that's another matter. But Fulmer was widely known in the coordinator world, much like Norm Chow or Mickey Andrews, or back then a Brother Bill Oliver.

I can understand your confusion about coaches. Who is your coach, TODAY anyway? :smilewinkgrin:

I don't hate you guys. I know some people do. Since Bama is our archrival, you all are rivals simply due to position on the schedule. If GA was still our first SEC game, they'd still have the hatred you all have.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Well Dooley is your last coach today, but I'll give you the hire deal if it makes you fell better. I was trying to give your Vols a pat on the back and it didn't work. Now I'm sure they paid big money for Kiffin but as far as I was concern he had no head coaching record to brag about at a big time school and neither did Phil and now neither does Dooley. I like that, went up stream rather than down stream.

I'm not a fan of him. I think with the type of trouble the players are getting into and GPA and drop outs, he should be gone. This is student athletes, not the minor league for the NFL. Even Spurrier at Florida was OK, just got by in my book, but the Garcia deal is enough to get rid of him there. Winning ball games is so big that players can get picked up for under age drinking or hitting on people or taking what isn't theirs. The players that got into trouble when he started at SC were not his and he got rid of them, the same should have been done with Steven. These schools aren't the minor league for the NFL or a juvenile home for bad kids.

As I've said I don't hate any school but I might pull against them when they play us.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

A media outlet reported something once about the number of arrests at UT in a calendar year. It was equal to the same number Spurrier had in 8 weeks at SCar. I like him, but he ran about as bad of a ship at FL as Urban does. And I didn't dislike Urban until he chose his football team over his family. Just my opinion anyway.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

That was when he first went to SC, he lost 21 players in his first 6 weeks there. I'll have to disagree at Florida. I was with the watch group then. I think after two arrest the coach should be send packing. If 65% of players don't graduate , all wins should be given back and lose 2 scholarships given back for each player who does not graduate. Then these coaches would bring players who could and would be student athletes. I haven't cared for Urban after his second class he brought in.

But again, I think you people went in the correct direction on this hire.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I believe there was an additional spade of that at USC.

I have a couple of friends who used to play for Spurrier at Fl and were on staff there. They've given me quite a few horror stories that go even beyond what you see everywhere.

That all said, I like Spurrier (better than I now like Urban).

I appreciate where you're going with the rule you propose. No way a rule like that would ever be imposed on college athletics, though. For one thing, you'd probably have to enforce it on the whole student body and a substantial number of general population students don't earn their degrees, so why make the athletes? (So goes the argument). And another? Athletics is about revenue generation, donor growth and student enrollment increase. Schools have to have the occasional drop out five star player to do that :laugh: