1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

King James I: A Homosexual?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Martin, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Its one thing to have a political figure give his authorisation to a nation's effort to produce a common Bible, but it is another to have someone like Mollenkott on a tanslating committee, don't you agree? Surely when it comes to handling the Word of God we should at least expect that those translating it have some degree of reverence for the task and are committed to obeying the truth as it is revealed?

I don't mean to get off topic, but this statement kinda threw me!.

As for King James being a homosexual or not I cannot say. I heard a preacher make this charge this past weekend in an effort to slight the KJV. Thankfully King James had no responsibility for the actual translating work of the version, and so his sexual practices had no bearing upon its outcome, or credibility as a translation.

2. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

The KJV is solidly good, especially if you read it along with all the Strong's Concordance numbering. James I may have authorized the version, but he did none of the actual translation. So, he may have influenced the overall process, but he didn't participate directly (to my knowledge).

I do believe that the early Puritan Pilgrims who came here, however, came with the 1599 Geneva Bible and its famous Geneva Bible Commentary. The Puritans were actually deeply disatisfied with the 1611 translation, which is why they brought the 1599 Geneva Bibles with them to America in the 1620s-40s as they escaped the Anglican tyranny. Note that the Pilgrims were Calvinists, and Geneva was the Calvinist HQ, the "Protestant Rome".

So, if you want to be an authentic Cromwellian Puritan Pilgrim, you would prefer the Geneva translation to the 1611 AV. But I would say that the 1611AV + Strong's numbering (and doing some "Strong's Gymnastics" on your own) is about as good as you can get without learning Greek and Hebrew.

Afterwrit:

James I was a flagrant homosexual, who famously said (referring to John 13:25, 21:20), "Jesus had his John, I have my George [Villiers]". Villiers was reputedly the lover of James' son Charles I, too, "like father like son".

The uprising of the Protestant Puritans under Oliver "Ironsides" Cromwell against the monarchy was AngloSaxon England telling the world, "Uhhh, umm, like... like a homosexual queer really is not the alpha-wolf, the toughest of the tough, in England, we know you thought so, but see it aint so."

No one can deny that the beheading of the homosexual Charles I in 1649 was Puritan England telling the world that the Law (specifically, Leviticus 20:13) was indeed applicable to everyone in England, that no mortal man was "above the Law of God" in Puritan England's Republican Commonwealth.

That was back in the day when England was a military superpower, when the alpha-wolf of the land earned the nickname "Ironsides" by crushing his foes in battle, and when a Witchfinder General (named Matthew Hopkins) scoured the land, rooting out Leftist liberal ne'er-do-wells.

Today, America is home to the queer capital of the world (San Francisco), our leader is publically mocked by his wife as a "male horse milker" and has invited "Sir" Elton John and his gay male lover to an overnight in the Lincoln Bedroom, it loses its wars to halves of third world nations (North Korea, North Vietnam, Iraq which is half of Ba'athist controlled Iraq-Syria), and prefers "religious tolerance" to evil terrible horrible Witchfinder Generals.

Things are better today, aren't they?

#22 Bismarck, Apr 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I will expect an apology from you on this since your accusation here is false. As I made clear I have been doing further study on the Scrooby Piligrims (Plymouth Plantation/Seperatists, etc) and this issue/question came up in relation to that study. It was not my intent to "rile" KJVOs with a question about a 17th century English monarch. My post, question, was addressed only to those history students who may know more about 17th century England and the various monarchs than I do. I think it is a shame that a person cannot have a discussion about this topic on a "Christian history" forum without being called a liar.

==As I have said, several times already, the KJV does not depend upon King James I since King James did not translate the text of that translation. This is NOT about the King James Version of the Bible. I use the King James Version myself (along with the New American Standard, and the New King James). The King James Version is a fine translation.

#23 Martin, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Cite Gonzales' sources for his statement that "King James was indeed a homosexual". Ususally they are based on heresay and no sources are attributed. These are ad hominem attacks made by those who want to try to insult and agitate those who revere and believe that the KJV is the best translation. The gay crowd especially likes to make a big deal out of this and will make statements like "Thank a gay for your Bible". It is the same crowd who try to tell us that David and Jonathon had a homosexual relationship and the Hebrew and Greek maunscripts don't condemn homosexuality and that God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because of their inhospitality.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Gonzalez does not give a source for this point. Have you read Gonzalez work? Or are you preparing to dismiss it out of hand simply because you don't like something he said about a 17th century British monarch? Where in Scripture are 17th century British monarchs placed above reproach or where are we told that we are to ignore their bad behavior? One has to wonder if you would defend Henry VIII, Edward VI, or Mary Tudor with the same vigor you seem to use to defend James I.

Gonzalez work is not know for "ad hominem attacks" nor is he known for trying "to insult and agitate those who revere and believe that the KJV is the best translation". His two volume church history works are used by many conservative seminaries and Christian universities.

In the context of the statement Gonzalez is talking about the general behavior of King James I which, might I add, was not generally that good (though typical for a monarch of his time). What Gonzalez says about King James I is generally confirmed by 17th century sources such as William Bradford in his "Of Plymouth Plantation". So even though Gonzalez does not generally cite sources for every statement his statements can generally be confirmed by doing some research. Personally I have not done much research into King James I's sexual behavior. I do know that he was married and that his wife died shortly before the pilgrims left for America (1620). I know he remained single though I don't know if he remarried.

==Of course their statement has nothing to do with reality. King James I did not translate the KJV and can take no real credit for the KJV. He simply ordered the work to start. The KJV, like all translations, must be judged soley for how it translates the text of Scripture. Again this thread is NOT about the KJV. It is about a 17th century British monarch by the name of King James I. I'm not interested in any agenda I am just interested in the history. Nothing more.

==Of course that has nothing to do with this issue. David and Jonathan were followers of God and their lives are recorded for us in Holy Scripture. King James I was a 17th century British monarch and he persecuted Christians who believed the Bible. Whether he was a homosexual or not (and I don't know that he was or was not) he clearly is not someone modern evangelicals should be defending (reglardless of their view of the King James Bible). He should be viewed as a King in England and his reign should be judged like that of all other kings. We can and should credit him where credit is due and disapprove of him where disapproval is due.

#25 Martin, Apr 2, 2007
  6. Xavier Montoya Zapata

I don't know if anyone here is married and has teenage daughter but my dauther saw the title and caused an uproar my wife Selena did not like it either. We sat dowhn with our daughter and went over ,she a friend asked her where her bible was sunday and told her the bible was written by a homosexual. My wife and I went over this with her and called the other parents. Our home study just had a teaching on homosexual takeover and how it suttleling taking over and I thought the rules were no promotion of homosexual life at the study the homosexual will attack prominet christianity and leaders such as abraham lincoln.

I am trying to raise my teenagers the best way and my wife to but she thought this place could be viewed by our childeren and would be okay do not mean to be hard.

Could things like this be taken to a private room and your friends can discuss it there. good news my daughter is clear about her King James bible and like teens they over do things.

My wife just told me this has a spelling correction I will do better , will write again
    does anyone else have teenagers who are getting attacked by homosexual suttle
    takeover of our churches. thanks Xavier

I tried yesterday to write but could not come to this area.

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Did the kids look like the mailman?

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

You don't want your teenage daughter to ask and study legitimate historical questions?

I have not seen anything inappropriate here in this thread.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

I've worked with teenagers for over 20 years now. If you're daughter is in her teens, then IMO she should know...
    • There are people out there who have traded God's wiring--an affection for the opposite sex--for a perverted one.
    • They should be able to not just say, "It's a sin," but explain why it is a sin. In their future, they will have to be able to contend for the faith, and give an answer to anyone who asks regarding their hope they have.
    • I'm not trying to argue your point regarding a "homosexual takeover." There's some of that in our very left-wing denoms. But I don't see any Bible-believing Baptist churches going that direction.
    • King James didn't write the KJV, so gay or not, that accusation is just silly.
    • I think this thread's contributors by and large have done well to avoid sallacious details that could have come up. Very, very few kids have made it to their teen years without hearing about gays, the gay lifestyle, "tolerance," etc. Is that a good thing? Nope. But, we as parents and others who lead our kids should be ready to tell them the truth. And that can be done without being vulgar, gross, or disrespectful.
    God's blessings as you raise your teenage daughter. May she, through God's strength, do great things for the Kingdom.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Of course nobody here has said that King James I "wrote" any Bible. He did not. He only ordered a English translation to be completed. I have said over and over again, and I say it yet again, that this has nothing to do with the King James Bible. Yet some people here keep trying to make the KJV dependent upon a 17th century English Monarch. I just don't understand it.

==Nobody here is promoting the sin of homosexuality. We are trying to ask a question about the behavior of a 17th century English Monarch. The idea that Abraham Lincoln was a homosexual is, to be nice, bunk. That issue has nothing to do with the issue about the behavior of King James I of England.

==We can't change history by pretending it did not happen. King James I of England was a typical monarch of his day. He persecuted Christians who did not agree with his positions and some of his rulings were troubling. Was he a homosexual? I don't know. However whether he was or was not nobody should make the mistake of judging the King James Bible by King James I of England. The translation is simply too good for that.

#30 Martin, Apr 2, 2007
  11. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

And this debate kind of spins its wheels at this point. KJVO's have held up James as a defense of their position. MVists have put him down as a defense of their's. Niether holds water, since James had very little to do with the actual translation.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I highly agree with you.

The sad thing is that we are not trying to study the history of King James I; but, in reality the point is to tie this together with the King James Version of the Bible (for good or bad). This is sad. Are we discussing Henry the eight's preferences? No, because he had nothing to do with the KJV.

Mind you, I am NOT KJVO, but the whole discussion tends to lean one way or the other, so let's be honest why we are discussing King James' sexual orientations.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Have you read the OP? This discussion was about King James I and not about the KJV. I have said over, and over, and over again that this is not about the KJV. As I made clear I have been doing further study on the Scrooby Piligrims (Plymouth Plantation/Seperatists, etc) and this issue/question came up in relation to that study. My question, in the OP, was addressed only to those history students who may know more about 17th century England and the various monarchs than I do.

14. Xavier Montoya Zapata

iespell check is now able to help me, sorry for the wait

Thankyou to all from my wife who understand about my teenage daughter and she is newly teen. My wife just wanted you to know that she felt the title was meant to shock and lead people into strife about a person and strife all we know as my teenager an innocent view person only reacted to the title and like I said before we guided her through and the other church kids daughter who seemed to have got a kick (teens over do it) out of it. My wife wants to know why this shock subject could not be taken to a private place for those who want to talk about a persons homosexuality and that way innocent people would not feel the strife.

Thank you all for your kind words but I think this place is no place for my teens so we are forbiding her from viewing anymore we have found another place for her as we are new to having Internet in our home.

Why not start a more positive subject instead of calling someone a homosexual who is attached to a bible which causes confusion and strife.

my wife wants to join she works with computers more at her job for Wal-Mart

15. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

This discussion, including its title, has been pretty tame. Stick around...you'll see much worse.

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The title was not meant to do that. It was meant to ask the lead question of the OP. That way folks know what the post is about. My titles are always to the point.

==I'm sorry if the title/subject offends you. However if you don't want to discuss the subject don't click on the link. It is that simple. This is not a "shock subject" this is a real historical question/issue.

==I did not call King James I a homosexual (check the first post). I asked a question. As far as King James I being attached to the King James Bible, well, I'm tired of answering that point. I have answered it too many times in this thread.