1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

king james only...;

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by JohnBaskette, Jan 10, 2005.

1. stevec

stevec New Member

At least you're correct to point out that KJVO arguements are weak. The fact also remains that KJVOism is unscriptural. </font>[/QUOTE]Um...I was joking. I'm not KJVo.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

3. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

We give away the uncopyrighted KJV, as well as the copyrighted NKJV. :D
    Though we do contribute our own funds for this, most of the money comes from donations from individual churches and other donors.

Eaglewing

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, .... uhhh, .... oops .... I get it now :eek:

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eaglewing:We give away the uncopyrighted KJV, as well as the copyrighted NKJV. [Big Grin]
    Though we do contribute our own funds for this, most of the money comes from donations from individual churches and other donors.

Good for you. But the point I am making is that SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE pays for every Bible given away. SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE MAKES MONEY on every copy made. It has absolutely nothing to do with copyrights as some KJVOs allege.

Guess Mr. Baskette decided to skeedaddle after his doctrine was challenged. Typical.

6. LarryN

LarryN New Member

We give away the uncopyrighted KJV, as well as the copyrighted NKJV. :D

Eaglewing
    </font>[/QUOTE]Eaglewing (or anyone else who may know): Why did the Gideons also distribute the NIV for awhile; but don't any longer? Several years ago (I'm guessing early to mid-80's) while I was walking somewhere on the University of Minnesota Campus, a Gideon handed me one of the light-green, student-edition New Testament/Psalms/Proverbs, with the Gideon logo on the cover. I accepted it, and said "Thanks". I still have it- I was looking through it just the other night.

I was at the local Gideons annual meeting a couple of years ago, and I asked some of the members why the Gideons had discontinued distributing the NIV. The ones who had been members back at the time remembered doing so, but nobody really had an answer for why distribution of the NIV had ceased.

Anybody know why?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not sure. I was at a hotel just a year or so ago on business, and the bible was a Gideon NIV.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LarryN: "Why did the Gideons also distribute the NIV for awhile; but don't any longer? ... nobody really had an answer for why distribution of the NIV had ceased. Anybody know why?"

I think I know why (this came from one of the Gideon state directors some years ago). There were some strong objections raised by predominately IFB churches who supported the Gideons to both dynamic equivalency and the underlying Greek text. Already, the Gideons had decided not to distribute the TEV/Good News for Modern Man due to doctrinal issues, and these next two issues also became controversial.

The final decision was to continue distributing the NIV *if* the IBS and Zondervan would alter its underlying text to reflect the TR or Byzantine, and thus not be perceived as "omitting" certain words, phrases, or verses affected by change in the underlying text. The IBS and Zondervan flatly refused to allow such changes, and the NIV was no longer distributed.

The same offer was made to the NASV people, and they refused as well, so in the US the NASV is not distributed by the Gideons either (in Canada the NASV is accepted by the Gideon organization there, since for them the issue is primarily formal versus dynamic equivalence).

In the end, US Gideons now approve and distribute only the KJV, NKJV, and Berkeley version (the latter of which I would recommend dropping, since few people otherwise use it for any purpose).

9. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Thanks Ziggy!

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So, in short, the Gideons dropped the NIV because a bunch of KJVOs threatened to cutoff financial support.

See how destructive the KJVOist false doctrine can be?

11. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Sad, isn't it? [​IMG]

12. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

It wasn't just KJVO's that were involved in that. There are many groups that are against the NIV. Had they used the NAS or a version not so poor as the NIV, then they would not have received the pressure they did.

13. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Money can sadly but very definitely influence doctrinal stances & ministry decisions. Just look at how quickly the Sword of the Lord became KJVO once much of their readership/base became KJVO during the 1980's. Under John R. Rice (d.1980), the SOTL actively opposed KJVOism; yet within just a few years of his death, the SOTL was staunchly KJVO.