1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured King James vs the original Greek

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Jun 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the above.
    But in my opinion, you've not given a practical solution to the problem...

There are far too many variables at work just between who supports which collated Greek text, who supports which collated Hebrew text, and who supports ( or does not support ) introducing "lateral witnesses" from equally old translations including Old Latin, Syriac and others into the process.
    As I see it, there is no viable solution as long as today's scholars keep disagreeing with "grass roots" believers in coming to a consensus regarding "which Greek" and "which Hebrew" to use as the basis for translations,
    Especially when it comes to the common man's ( i.e. "non-scholar's ) preference for something that makes no sense to the scholar.

Are you following me?

Stated differently, there is no reason for "logical" people to accept the AV as the word of God,
    when by all that seems "reasonable" to us as men,
    today's scholars have given them sufficient reason to abandon it in favor of "continuous improvement".

In your above, you keep making reference to unjust measures and double standards, as well as divers measures and unscriptural standards.
    These are all things that many of the "KJV-Only" groups are saying is happening from the other side.
    Simply put, this isn't all one-sided and it never has been.

So, at the end of the day, we are at an impasse, aren't we?
    With that said, I wish you well, Logos, and thank you for making your position plain to me.

As for me, I'll stay where I am,
    Since I firmly believe that the "Textus Receptus" ( the one underlying the AV, Beza's ) is God's preserved word in the Greek,
    While the "BenChayyim" ( not Kittel's work, sometimes referred to as the "Ben Asher" ) is God's preserved word in the Hebrew.

Call it, "faith"...which is the complete opposite of logical reasoning.
    I've weighed all the evidence, seen all the arguments, and I'm convinced that there's no reason to abandon the AV;
    It's God's inspired word, in English...there is none better.

May God bless you sir.

#61 Dave G, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Salty:
    My apologies for using your thread to hammer out something that should have been done elsewhere ( such as in one of Logos's threads ), but it seemed the thing to do and the right opportunity to do it.

If I make any further replies, it will be with respect to the OP...

Which is to say that, in my best estimation and belief,
    the KJV does indeed reflect the original and the preserved Greek and Hebrew,
    and it does so very, very well.

Thank you for the privilege of posting in this thread.

#62 Dave G, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a problem - In the OP I mentioned Anderson - and with him - anything goes!

Keyword = reflects - and that I totally agree!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who’s they?
    Who’s we?

5. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You’re focusing more on what man expected than what God has promised.

6. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where are the originals?

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the context indicate that Whitaker is writing of specific "editions" of the Hebrew and the Greek?

8. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, KJV-only and TR-only groups in effect undermine or discredit many of their own assertions and allegations against the Critical text when at the same time they accept and defend arbitrary and inconsistent textual measures/standards involved in the making of the textually-varying Textus Receptus editions. If they are going to accept blindly or arbitrarily as many as 1800 minority readings in the Textus Receptus, how do they have any consistent, sound basis for rejecting minority readings in the Critical Text? If they are going to accept and defend textual conjectures in the TR and KJV, how can they justly condemn textual conjectures in the Critical Text?

Why shouldn't I keep making reference to the scriptural truths and principles advocating the use of the same measures/standards and opposing the use of different or divers measures/standards which would be unjust measures or double standards?

Are you trying to suggest that the use of double standards or unjust measures on the TR side or KJV side is acceptable because you assert the Critical text side is guilty of the same thing? I do not find that the Scriptures suggest that the use of double standards or different measures should be excused and defended.

Perhaps you are wrong to suggest that applying scriptural truths consistently and justly would not be a practical solution to arbitrary and inconsistent assertions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the translators revised and made better prior English versions, and the Kjv has been revised updated and improved also!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    represented in the CT/MT/Tr greek texts, and the Hebrew Masoretic text!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going to take this response to the thread “Where are the Originals”

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we need to have A PERFECT BIBLE IN ORDER TO HAVE ONE?

13. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The King James Bible is NOT a new "translation" made directly from the Hebrew and Greek, but, a REVISION of earlier translations, like the Geneva Bible and Bishops Bible. They also much relied on Théodore Beza Greek NT

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hebrew MT has been corrupted in places by the Jews. What about the Greek texts of Nestle-Aland, UBS, W&H? Your argument does not hold.

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOST!. Why, does this bother you, or cause you problems?

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    so which is the Word of God, and are they all equally reliable?

17. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're ALL the WOG & reliable if they're accurate translations of their sources. And remember that the AV makers said even the meanest(poorest) of translations are the WOG. (That was before he cult-specific "bibles" started coming out.)

Remember, there are many ways in English to say the same thing.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only that but translating is not always exact!
    For example - the word refrigerator in German is kuhlschrank.
    But to translate kuhlscrank to English - it could be refrigerator, fridge or ice box.

A literal translation could be cool* cabinet
    * as in cold.

19. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gail Riplinger acknowledged: “The original ben Chayim Hebrew Bible wrongly omitted Joshua 21:36-37” (Hazardous, p. 1016). Gail Riplinger asserted: “This proves that the KJB translators DID NOT follow ben Chayim exclusively” (Ibid.). Riplinger also maintained that “the original ben Chayim edition wrongly omitted Nehemiah 7:68” (p. 1017).

Arthur Farstad indicated that the Masoretic Text and the Targum in Psalm 22:16 read "Like a lion my hands and my feet" while the KJV translators followed the reading of the Septuagint, Vulgate, and Syriac "they pierced My hands and My feet" (The NKJV, p. 98). Concerning Psalm 22:16, Edward F. Hills asserted that "the King James Version reads with the Septuagint, the Syriac, and the Latin Vulgate" (KJV Defended, p. 223). Gail Riplinger claimed that “in Psalm 22:16, the Latin, Syriac Peshitta, and the Greek Bible preserve ‘they pierced my hands and my feet’” (Hazardous, p. 1003).

James D. Price identified and listed what he asserted are “82 justifiable emendations to the Masoretic text” in the Second Rabbinic Bible made by the KJV translators along with “146 unjustifiable emendations” (King James Onlyism, pp. 561-590).

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are about 50 different Greek words, which are translated by the English "come", in the KJV!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.