1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

King Lemuel

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Palatka51, May 11, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Proverbs 31
    1The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
    2What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?
    3Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
    4It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
    5Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
    6Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
    7Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
    8Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
    9Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

Who was Lemuel?

Was it another name that Solomon was known by?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

From what I could dig up, the name Lemuel means "belonging to God" and probably refers to Solomon, being that he did not use his own name in all of proverbs, but referred to himself as the preacher.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amy.G is probably right, here. I agree that it is likely Solomon. The 'problem', if there really is one, may possibly come from translating this as a proper name. It is probably more likely it is not. Other explanations are just as valid.

I will refer you to one such link, and suggestion, which just happens to be by a long-time friend and former schoolmate of mine, Carey Kinsolving. Incidentally, I never saw this until today, but I think it is worthy of consideration.

http://www.uexpress.com/kidstalkaboutgod/index.html?uc_full_date=20060508

He suggests it may well be a "pet name" for Solomon. Could well be, and could also be a case of multiple names. I have come to the opinion that it is likely multiple names. But I am not dogmatic on this, by any stretch. Another name for Solomon could also be that of Agar, as found in Prov. 30. Or they may be completely unrelated individuals, as well, of whom we know little. (Incidentally, who exactly is Job? Or "the man of God"?) Take your choice, I'd say. None of them hurt inspiratrion, in any way.

As to the multiple name bit, one (but I lost the page) has likened this to Solomon also being named Jedidiah. (II Sam. 12:25)

Multiple names are certainly not all that uncommon in Scripture. Anyone ever hear of Saul Paul? (Incidentally, his name was not changed, as is often preached, for he already had both names.) The Lord Jesus Christ had many names and titles, including Immanuel, Wonderful, Son of Man, Morning Star, etc.

The names and titles of God include Lord, LORD, God, LORD of hosts, El Shaddai, El-Elyon, The LORD our Banner, etc.

Two of the apostles each had three names; Simon Peter Cephas and Jude Thaddeus Lebbaus.

I personally have three names plus an added Jr. in it.

Why not Samuel Lemuel Agur, just as easily?? :thumbs:

Ed

#3 EdSutton, May 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008