1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kingdom Authority

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Have any of you read Kingdom Authority by Adrian Rogers?

Someone in my church is teaching a class on this book and was told by another teacher that it is false doctrine.

I don't know anything about it, so I would like to hear some opinions. I know I can get lots of those around here! :laugh:

Thanks!

Amy

2. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

I haven't read it either, but found this.

Kingdom Authority-Adrian Rogers

This is a synopsis of The Incredible Power of Kingdom Authority, Adrian Rogers, Broadman & Holman, 2002
    Thoughts and Quotes
    The Incredible Power of Kingdom Authority
    Adrian Rogers, Broadman & Holman, 2002
    Summarized by: Jeff Noble, June 2004

• Why are we fighting a battle already lost when we could enjoy a victory already won?
    • The Trinity of Evil: the world, the flesh, and the devil
    • The flesh is like software programming the hardware of our brain and body. And it has a virus called sin.

• If Satan didn’t exist, you would go on sinning without his help. He comes to obsess, depress, and defeat you. He is called the deceiver, a liar, a murderer, the accuser of the brothers, the tempter, the prince of the power of the air, the destroyer, and the evil one.
    • Two Greek words for “power” – dunamis (ability and strength) and exousia (the right to use power). When Jesus gave them the power to tread on snakes (Luke 17.10-19), it was dunamis. The “power over the enemy” is exousia.

• Charles Spurgeon: “If we let passion take the place of judgment, and self-will reign instead of scriptural authority, we shall fight the Lord’s battles with the devil’s weapons, and if we cut our own fingers we must not be surprised.”
    • Have you ever thought that you may be asking God for what you already have?
    • The cleverest lies of Satan sound almost like the truth. Remember, a broken clock is still right twice during the day! Jesus used God’s Word to defeat Satan’s temptations. Know the truth!

• Difference between commitment and surrender. We love to ask people to make a commitment. They will respond. But surrender? Americans love commitment because they are still in control. They made the commitment. But the key word in Christ is surrender.
    • You cannot be over those things that God wants you to be over until you learn to be under those things that God has set over you. The principle of authority in our lives. Americans hate authority. When you are willing to be to Jesus what Jesus was in His humanity to the Father, then Jesus will be to your humanity what the Father was to Him. (67)

• Learning to be a slave to God actually sets you free. “The slave to the compass has freedom of the seas. The rest must sail close to the shore.”
    • We will not have what He gives until we accept who He is. Charles Spurgeon: “If the convert declares that he knows the Lord’s will but doesn’t’ mean to attend to it, it is your duty to assure him that he is not saved. Don’t imagine that the Gospel is magnified, or God glorified, by going to worldlings and telling them that they may be saved at this moment simply by accepting Christ as their Savior, while they are wedded to their idols with their hearts, and their hearts are still in love with sin. If I do so, I tell them a lie, I pervert the Gospel, I insult Christ, I turn the grace of God into lasciviousness.”

• My great need is not more authority for myself but more intimacy with Jesus so I can coordinate my will to His.
    • The popular idea of the church being a democracy (the rule of the people) is not found in the Bible. The spirit of rugged individualism and autonomous selfhood is not to be the motivating power of a New Testament church.

o Everyone’s opinion is not equally correct.
    o The opinion of the majority is not necessarily right.
    o All in the church are not basically the same. (We all have equal value before God, but we have different gifts and functions)
    • The priesthood of the believer does not refer to authority, but to the fact that each believer has direct access to God through the Lord Jesus Christ.

• The pastor’s task is to help the members discover, develop, and deploy their spiritual gifts, and to let them serve at Jesus’ command.
    • About the pastor’s leadership, Oswald Sanders said: “It should be authoritative, because people love to be led by one who knows where he is going and who inspires confidence. Spiritual, because a leadership that is unspiritual, that can be fully explained in terms of the natural, although eligible, attractive, and competent, will only result in sterility and moral and spiritual bankruptcy. Sacrificial, because modeled on the life of the One who gave Himself as a sacrifice for the whole world, who left us an example that we should follow in His footsteps.”

• The pastor who is always available is not worth very much when he is available. (Even Jesus modeled a life of drawing away to spend time with the Father.)
    • Sin in the heart is like an enemy behind the lines.
    • Satan cannot keep God from answering, so he tries to keep us from asking.

• Joseph T’son, pastor in Romania, told the communists, “I know what you can do. Your chief weapon is killing, but let me tell you what my chief weapon is. My chief weapon is dying. And I want to warn you that if you use yours, I will be forced to use mine.”

• Authority is not a means to get earth’s will done in heaven. It is a means to pursue heaven’s will performed on earth.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the book. What specifically about it is false doctrine?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

According the person teaching the class (who I spoke to this morning), she says that we have authority over the devil. The other teacher says we do not, therefore her doctrine is false. I have not spoken to the other person, so all I can tell you is what the teacher of this book has said. The other teacher is my SS teacher and I find it hard to believe that he would claim something false if it really isn't. It's possible that she has added some of her own beliefs to this book and that is what my SS teacher is calling false. I can't say, but I just wanted some info on this book.

Does Dr. Rogers say that we have authority over the devil?

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I don't know what the book states Amy but Scripture tells us:

James 4:7. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

I don't know that resisting Satan means that we have authority over him but we know he has no authority over us. Scripture also tells us:

1 John 4:2-4
    2. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3. And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    4. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes absolutely. But it is God that has authority, not us. I suspect the woman I'm talking about has added her own spin on this. She has had some run-ins with people at church because of her agreement with some of the WOF teachings. I'm concerned that she is teaching a class now.
    I highly doubt that Adrian Rogers has taught something that is false doctrine like she claims my SS teacher said. I don't really think that he called the book false doctrine. More than likely he called her teaching false doctrine. But I cannot say for sure. That's why I was wanting to know something about A.R.'s book. I am going to pray about this situation as only God can handle it properly.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In his book "Kingdom Authority" Dr. Rogers writes on page 24 in the chapter titled "Getting Ready For The War" which is chapter 2 and on paragraph 1:

He does say that we have power over Satan but such statements need to be put in context. There is no error to be found in Dr. Rogers statement. He does not say that we have any power outside of God or His will and purposes.

#7 Revmitchell, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It would be hard to find error in Dr. Rogers' teaching. While I don't worship the man, I have deep respect for his ministry and authenticity in preaching the Scriptures.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you.

What is the tragedy that he speaks of?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 10:18 And He said to them, I saw Satan fall from Heaven like lightning.

11. Swordfinn

Swordfinn New Member

I have listened to Dr. Rogers for years and would find it hard to believe that he would have any error in his teachings.( what a great preacher he was)
    \

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree. I think the problem is the woman who is teaching from Dr. Rogers book.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I have the book, also

If you would let me know what chapter, page, and paragraph is in question---I will be glad to take a look

Dr. Rogers is one of my heroes of the modern faith

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hi blackbird. :wavey:

I don't know. I was told this in a conversation I had this morning with the woman who is teaching from Dr. Rogers book. She was really mad because another teacher (my SS teacher) had told her she was teaching a false doctrine because she was teaching that we have authority over the devil. I just wanted to know if anyone here had read his book and could tell me what he said about it. I have never thought Dr. Rogers taught a false doctrine, but maybe she has misunderstood something or added her own twist to it.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I took this out of Me4Him's last post because he is one of the heroes of the faith. Google his name and find a couple of sermons.

Let me give you a couple of quotes to listen for:

"In Romania under Communisim, we exhorted people to come to Christ, but not too quickly."

"We intentionally try to make it as hard to come to Christ as we can."

Chew on that. Sorry to distract from the thread, but it's worth listening to.